ESPN's Todd McShay: Safety Brock Vereen Best Pick In NFC North

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, May 12, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,878ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Sadly, I think Conte is still the 2nd best S, IF Vareen beats him out, Mundy and Jennings are laughable.

2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    I hope he does if he's a clear upgrade but that might be a lot to expect out of a rookie right out of the shoot. We will see. I know you despise Conte but hope you recognize that he was about #9 on the top-10 list of why the defense sucked last year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    I do too. And I don't think Mundy is laughable. Just the best SS option.

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,878ß
    he's laughable.

5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    The DL and Wright were the far bigger "laughables" last year.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,878ß
    ya but Mundy wasn't on this team sucking last year

7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß

Yet, Mel Tucker WAS and he was neither fired nor "competed against" to retain his job. It's his job to make this work. No excuses. You're never gonna have pro bowlers at every position.

8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,878ß
    MP, again go back and look at how bad Lovie's D's were w/just Tommie OR Urlacher missing. Then imagine how bad it would have been like if Lovie had lost them AND Tillman, AND Briggs, AND the backups. Then sit down and give it up.

9. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    The way I look at it is, Lovie is not here; we will not be running his defense, and we have tons of new guys on defense. We've heard bits and pieces here and there of what the defense will look like but the truth is, we have no clue. And now with the draft over as they head to rookie camp next week, the pieces will start falling in place as they head to the summer.

That's why in my book, I'm giving everyone a clean start, a fresh chance, and last year is completely wiped out of what went wrong and who is to blame. Emery got some good defensive coach help (and the Kung-Foo guy who I am curious about) and it sounded like they really thought every detail through as far as retaining Tucker. You can be angry about the fact he's here or not, but he's who we have this season. I'll even give him somewhat of a new start in my book but because he leads the defense, and he hasn't proven anything to me, he's on a short leash.

We have some exciting new additions! Houston is going to be a stud! I can't believe we will see Jared Allen out there in a Bears uniform. I can't wait to see Shea. And the new defensive guys (except Fuller) are all pissed off ready to start working and proving themselves. I think they will fit in great.

Beardown!

• Like Like x 1
  10. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,110ß
    Based on the Bears drafting history going all the way back to the '50s when it was all Halas doing the picking I would have been surprised if we did take one of the Safeties. Over all those years right up to the present the Bears have only taken one Safety with their first round pick and that was Mark Carrier. In over 60 years that's it. Just Carrier.

Whenever the Bears have made defensive picks a priority in the first few rounds they've typically been DLinemen, LBs and a few CBs. Safeties always came later so historically we've never emphasized that position early in the draft. Most of our better Safeties were 3rd round picks or later. It seems to be a long standing Bears tradition.

MP made a good point too. It's a hell of a lot less expensive to find competent Safeties in FA than it is shut down corners. When I saw the Rams take Donald I was righteously pissed and then all I could think of was don't take Dix, take Fuller or Mosley or Shazier or trade down. I just never thought either Dix or Pryor were something special you couldn't find in another draft.