Excellent breakdown of DE/Pep situation by Biggs

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by MPbears68, Mar 4, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    and i cant read it... can somebody post it?
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,047 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    311ß
    This part stood out to me:

4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,663 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,098ß
    fBiggsy is correct when he's says that Pep is a needed commodity until they find a replacement IF they find a replacement which doesn't hurt his bargaining position at all. Personally I don't understand why a major salary reduction would be that hard to pull of and why the Bears wouldn't be interested if he accepted that. I'll give my reasoning too.

1) If released Pep has to know that he can't command anywhere near $14 mil in salary. Ain't gonna happen. So now it comes down to whether or not he wants to even play in Chicago this year as opposed to going to TB to play for Lovie or even back to Carolina to play for Chico. I'm just guessing here but Carolina is an up and coming team and Chico is a good defensive coach who could put him to good use. Lovie was the reason he chose Chicago to begin with and surely he could use him too for the right price. So is Pep playing hardball just to force them to eventually release him so he can play somewhere he'd rather be?

2) If he's still game to remain in Chicago he knows that they can't pay him $14 mil and he also knows his playing time needs to be cut in order for him to be effective over 16 games when he is one the field. He can still "bring it" when he can muster the effort but at his age he wears out faster as the season progresses and he admitted that last year when asked about his play. So somewhat like a guy we're talking about signing he's become a part time role player and Michael Bennett kind of set the price for that at around $5 mil. Now referring to Biggs article it's foolish to believe he even can be that 16 game, havoc wreaking, game changer anymore so that $14 mil salary is all just so much air. To the Bears he may be worth $5 mil and maybe to a few others but he isn't worth $14 mil to ANYONE.

This is the part I don't quite understand. Over the past couple of years the market value for post age 30 free agents has been plummeting and Pep has already gotten his "career deal", in fact since he was a #2 overall draft pick before the last CBA probably two of them. Money shouldn't be an issue and there shouldn't be any loss in pride taking what you're worth to your team if you want to stay and help win a championship yet nothing has happened. If he'd have agreed to restructure his deal I think we'd have at least heard some rumor of it by now with FA breathing down everyone's neck but there hasn't even been a whisper in the wind.

So all I'm left with is that he doesn't want to stay. He never really "bought in" to Tucker and that abortion of Lovie's defense he was trying to run anyway and I believe Pep hinted at that during at least one interview last year. I believe he wants to leave but right now the Bear hold the winning hand. They have all the cap space they need if they restructure other deals so they can see what FA brings and then the draft and keep him around until June before they let him go and collect $14 mil in added cap space. It's probably no big deal to Pep either because not much happens in the way of OTAs until then anyway and he can catch on with someone just as easily then as now. There's always room for a HOF DE who can still give you some pass rush and they'll rest him in camp too just like the Bears did.

So I guess that's it or at least the way it seems to me to be working out. I was really hoping they could find a way to keep him around for one more year but from what I can see he doesn't want to play for Tucker so all he has to do is refuse to accept a salary cut and he leaves them with no choice but to release him. No matter what happens relative to who else they can sign there's just no way the Bears are gonna take an $18 mil plus cap hit for him this year or write him checks for $14 mil. Jared Allen will be there and he's two years younger and may well take a $5 mil deal to be someone's designated pass rushing RDE. To me it's looking more and more like that's an option Emery may consider. Even if he does manage to get Bennett he's really not a RDE. He's a LDE/DT so of Wootton isn't coming back there's a need for both and with Pep's money off the books more than enough cap room for both too.

Just thinking out loud here and maybe a little out of the box.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,047 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    311ß
    I think he liked playing for a solid defensive coach like Lovie Smith, but I think he also liked some of the veterans we had, like Urlacher, & it was VERY appealing to him to play with these guys.
  6. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I question whether the lack of PEP's production is physical or more of an attitudinal issue. If it's physical, then you have to let him walk. Maybe his attitude changed when all the injuries occurred, and he was left all alone to wage the war. I'm sure defensive coordinators only planned to keep him neutralized, because they could take advantage of running the ball up the gut. This translates in to less passing or quick passes to keep the chains moving. It hard to rush the passer when you are the only one after the QB. No push from the middle or other end. Maybe if we sign Bennet and a solid DT, he might consider hanging around at a reduced contract. I believe Pep works best when he has a great supporting cast. Pep did have enough sacks for an average player, but not someone with his big contract. The offense was turned in one year why can't the defense. A top five offense and a top ten defense might be all it takes for the Bears to close the gap.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,047 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    311ß
    Initially, last year, when folks here questioned his effort I was angry. How dare anyone question his effort....it MUST be age or injury or he's being double and triple teamed. But then I watched the games again focusing on 1 man - Julius Peppers - and it sure looks like a guy taking a lot of plays off. Loafing. He really didn't look any better to me than Shea McClellen in some games. He just disappeared. If he's going to do that as we move forward I don't want him back at any price. Get a guy in who WANTS to bust his butt and play. To mail it in like Pep did seems like stealing the money from the Bears.
  8. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,682 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    416ß
    Pep won't accept a big decrease, if any.

He knows he gets about 9M on walking away cash. He could possibly get anywhere from 3-6 from a new team. If the Bears ask him to take less than his walking away money plus what he thinks he can get on the market he is as good as gone.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Huh? There is no "$9M" or "walking away cash" that goes to Peppers. There is no guaranteed money left in his contract. Again, people don't seem to understand what dead cap cost really is. I explained it fully in the Peppers thread started by Soul.

If he is cut, he gets NOTHING ADDITIONAL from the Bears, but they do incur about $8.4m in dead cap costs which can be spread over 2 years or just 1 at the team's discretion. Peppers will never get $9m from another team at his age coming off a very down year.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    We still need him.

It's going to cost us either 8.4 million for him to not play for us or half of that over 2 years. Why not offer him 9 million to play for us next year? Way more than he's going to get anywhere else. Sign Wooton up as well. Train Bass and C Wash up in camp under an experienced D Line coach, draft another young guy and spread the plays 4 or 5 ways during the season. Keep Pep fresh and focused during the year and he'll play at a reasonable level as long as his body and mind still have it in him.

Worst comes to worst when he's completely off the books next year we can sign a proper young and on the rise FA DE. Plus the market will likely be better than this year which is pretty light on for talent.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    Again, I sense that you're not fully understanding what "dead cap" really is. It doesn't represent new money that gets paid to Peppers no matter what. It's represents salary cap deductions that occur whether or not he plays in Chicago. If we paid him $9m in new salary for 2014, then his cap cost this year would be $13.2m and that's way too big a hit for an aging player who's more of a rotational guy at 33. I think Pep would need to agree to a salary reduction to the $5-6m range to make it financially viable.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    His performance on the field last year warrants him being cut.
    If Peppers is back in a Bears Uniform this season I will be surprised.