Farmer: Hoyer tops Manziel by 'substantial margin'

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by Papa_Bear_7, May 21, 2014.

1. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...rmer-hoyer-tops-manziel-by-substantial-margin
    Farmer: Hoyer tops Manziel by 'substantial margin'

• By Gregg Rosenthal
    • Around The League Editor
    • Published: May 21, 2014 at 04:56 p.m.
    • Updated: May 21, 2014 at 05:07 p.m.
    • [​IMG]
    • By Gregg Rosentha
    The Cleveland Browns continued their public campaign to make Johnny Manziel feel like a rookie on Wednesday.
    On the same afternoon that Manziel took snaps behind Brian Hoyer and Tyler Thigpen, general manager Ray Farmer indicated that Manziel has a lot of ground to make up in the team's quarterback competition.
    "I want the best quarterback to start. Who is the best quarterback? Brian Hoyer," Farmer told WKRK-FM. Farmer was then asked about the gap between Manziel and Hoyer.
    "That's a good question. I would tell you that probably by a substantial margin," Farmer said. "I would say that because here's a guy that's a five- or six-year veteran who has been in the league, that knows the defenses, that reads it quicker, that understands it. (Hoyer) has an advanced calculus degree. Johnny is good at math, but I don't know if he's in the advanced calculus stages.
    "(Experience in the league) means a lot. It means more than people think."
    Fair enough. Comments in May about a quarterback competition mean even less than that. We will write about Johnny Manziel's ups and downs all offseason to fill the vacuum of actual news, but let's recognize all of this May chatter for what it is.
    Farmer, owner Jimmy Haslam, and coach Mike Pettine have made a concerted effort to make Manziel realize he's not bigger than the team. The team's media strategy with Manziel supports that as well. It feels a little heavy handed and pointless, but it's the way they are choosing to deliver their message.
    Coach Mike Pettine echoed Farmer's sentiment Wednesday, calling Manziel's efforts on the field "inconsistent" thus far, like most rookies. Pettine expects Manziel to get more comfortable once he catches up with "mental part" of the game.
    That's the key. Perhaps Farmer has a point that that Hoyer is ahead of Manziel by a "substantial margin" as OTAs open. If that's still true in late August, things have gone substantially wrong.
    The latest "Around The League Podcast" breaks down the latest news and shares takeaways from rookie camps.
  2. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    I feel like the Browns' (the GM) is taking every chance to publicly shame Manziel. I'm sure it's some sort of effort to tear him down before building him back up or humbling or something, but it seems excessive and inappropriate. And this is coming from someone who doesn't really care for Manziel as a football player or person (from what I've read).
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,796 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    908ß
    When did a coach putting you in your place, making you earn your stripes, become inappropriate?

Good. He needs it. All the pre-draft B/S about him.... including the last two years or so... are bound to have had an effect on him. You could see it on his face everytime a draft pick was announced and it wasn't him. He expected to go quickly. He thought he was that good (can't blame him after everything that happened). Turns out not many NFL teams felt the same... and he was hurt.

Excessive and inappropriate? Taking him down a few notches and forcing him to EARN even status as a back-up, may be the one thing that humbles him a bit. Could be the difference between him being another Ryan Leaf (or Tebow) and him being a workable starting QB in the future.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    What happened to handling things in-house? Humbling him and taking him down a peg can be done without publicly shaming him in the media.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    PB7, that's true, except when the media is constantly blasthing you w/questions about it ala Tebow in Denver.

If Manzy isn't looking good right now, then there is no reason to say anytyhing other then he's not looking good right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Passepartout

Passepartout Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I just have a feeling that Johnny Football will be a flop in the NFL. Plus worry about his off the field behavior along the way.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    I heard a guy say his game compares to that of Cam Newton, but he's the size of RusWil, so there is the problem. He's going to need to learn to play more like RusWil, or become like RGIII(hurt). That means pocket passer first, run only IF everything breaks down. If he can do that, and people say he has the arm to do it, then he'll be fine; but that also means he has to be smarter then he's shown he is(looking at off the field issues) and really become a student of football.
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Yeah exactly, he's not going to take games over with his legs like Newton can. He needs to be smart and only make defenses pay with his speed if it's last resort, otherwise dance around in the pocket if need be due to pressure but keep those eyes down the field. If he can sit behind Hoyer (or whoever) and learn the game he could stand a chance. Gordon is a beast and can be his Mike Evans-esque safety blanket.

I loved me some Hoyer though, I hope the dude starts Week 1 and can win some games.
  9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +767 / 7 / -25
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,304ß
    Is it the job of the GM (rather than the head coach) to make statements like this? Now, if the coach decides that Manziel is the better QB, then he is making his own GM look bad in public.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    So you think the GM was the one that knocked Manzie down to 3rd string? I think the HC and GM are on the same page. And if come OTA's/TC Manzie catches up it's not counter acting what the GM said, it's merely a statement about the work he's put into his game.
  11. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,367 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    393ß
    As a casual fan of the Browns I say put Johnny in early, let him get beat down to humble him and it erases the media conjecture, the "coach is holding me down" thing and shows the fans how much he really needs to learn and develop.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    SFB, or it creates a Couch/Grossman/Carr situation where he's scared out of his mind the rest of his career and his play reflects it. And the media piles on by calling him a bust....better to just let him earn it.
  13. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,367 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    393ß
    No, he just needs to be in there enough to let everyone know he's not ready.