First cuts in...

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by butkus3595, Aug 23, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +603 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    319ß
    Michael Ford, Adrian Wilson and Nate Collins all told they will be released. Sorry to hear about Collins...once he gets back all the way I think he'll be a hell of a player for somebody...hopefully nobody in our division.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,640 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    I was really pulling for Wilson... sorry to see him go, but with Trestman, only the best survive.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +302 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    Agreed. I'm really surprised by this move, really all of these moves and I can only assume it's out of respect to the players so that they can start looking at their other options in the league. All three of these players will get picked up by other teams.

The Wilson cut is especially shocking since that is one of our weakest positions. It's hard for me to believe they are so certain he's not the guy when the rest of the guys have looked very average. Safety play is a big concern of mine on this team - we don't have any above average players at that position. At least at LB we have Briggs who under-performed last night, but who overall I have a lot of faith in and who I believe is still an upper average or above average player.

Collins has really under-performed this preseason and while I'm not surprised he was cut, I am surprised he was cut so early. Again, I have to assume it's out of respect to these players.
  4. B-ell-y-iot

Ratings:
    +302 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,640 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    ditto
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,254 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    Surprised about Collins but I guess he just isn't 100% yet understandably since he's only 9 months out from ACL surgery. Bummer, I really thought he was gonna be a solid DT for us before he got hurt last fall.

Wilson was a dead man walking when he didn't get on the field yesterday in the first half. He was a starter or nothing and apparently he couldn't stick as a starter.

Ford sucked pretty much all camp and preseason so this is zero surprise to me.
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Bears part ways with Adrian Wilson, Nate Collins

August 23, 2014, 6:15 pm

CSN Staff

The Bears have started trimming their roster. Per a report from the Chicago Tribune's Brad Biggs, the Bears parted ways with safety Adrian Wilson and defensive lineman Nate Collins on Saturday.

Wilson, 34, is a five-time Pro Bowler, but the veteran didn't fit into the Bears' plans for their revamped defense.

The same goes for Collins, who appeared in 14 games over the past two seasons with the Bears. He tweeted a goodbye to Chicago shortly after the news broke that he'd been released.

Biggs also reported that the Bears parted ways with running back Michael Ford, buried on the depth chart behind Matt Forte, Ka'Deem Carey and Shaun Draughn.
  8. B-ell-y-iot

Ratings:
    +302 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    I posted this elsewhere, but I'll peg it here too so everyone who doesn't follow Brad Biggs on twitter can get current info on the cuts.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs
    #Bears have informed CB Derricus Purdy he will be placed on waivers

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs
    #Bears have informed CB Peyton Thomspon he will be placed on waivers.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs
    #Bears have informed G Dylan Gandy that they will terminate his contract.

Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 14m
    #Bears have informed WR Greg Herd he will be placed on waivers.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Not really shocked they cut Wilson. He couldn't beat out Mundy and maybe that's good news for us. He also doesn't play STeams and Lord knows we need somebody who can.......anybody!

I guess we shouldn't be surprised about Collins. He's been playing with the 3rd string all preseason. Can't believe Tracy Robertson is better but he does have PS eligibility and Collins doesn't. Looks like they're gonna go with just four DTs. Ratliff, Paea and the two rookies. Hope that works out because Collins was a pretty dependable backup at two positions.

Give that they're going with just four DTs that may mean they'll keep an extra DE who can play STeams so it looks like Washington may stick after all. I have to admit the kid has some speed and can play STeams. So probably Allen, Houston, Young, Scott, Lane and Washington make it. That 6 DEs and at least two can play STeams.

Ford never showed much of anything this year. Draughn has been far and away the more effective #2 back and I think once Carey gets a little more time in and some blocking he's gonna be an effective between the tackles guy and down around the goal line.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +603 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    319ß
    You really need to unblock me.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    831ß
    I honestly expected them to cut Wilson. He's never been the same player since his achilles injury.

Waiving Collins is a huge surprise because I thought he performed well in TC. With him gone it leaves us very very thin at DT.

We've got Ratliff and Paea as starters and then two rookies who are clearly not NFL ready. That's a scary thought.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,086 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    none of these are a surprise, except for maybe Collins, and only b/c of how high they were on him last year. Guess that inj isn't 100%?
  13. B-ell-y-iot

Ratings:
    +302 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    271ß
    Brad Biggs @BradBiggs · 56m
    #Bears announce OL Joe Long will be waived. Roster stands at 81 after moves reported last night. 75 deadline 3 pm Tuesday.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,092ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

The Bears on Sunday began the process of reaching the NFL's 75-man roster limit by releasing nine players, including veteran safety Adrian Wilson and defensive tackle Nate Collins.

Continue reading...
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +763 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    Who is the 5 safeties they are keeping again?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +763 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    Wilson, Collins among 9 cuts

Posted 1 hour ago
    By Larry Mayer
    The Bears on Sunday began the process of reaching the NFL's 75-man roster limit by releasing nine players, including veteran safety Adrian Wilson and defensive tackle Nate Collins.

The Bears on Sunday began the process of reaching the NFL's 75-man roster limit by releasing nine players, including veteran safety Adrian Wilson[​IMG] and defensive tackle Nate Collins[​IMG].
    Wilson, 34, signed with the Bears on June 23. He was voted to five Pro Bowls during 12 seasons with the Arizona Cardinals from 2001-12, but missed all of last season with a leg injury after joining the New England Patriots.
    Collins appeared in 14 games with two starts for the Bears the past two seasons, recording 25 tackles and one sack. He played in the first five contests last year before suffering a torn ACL last Oct. 6 in a loss to the New Orleans Saints.
    During the offseason, the Bears addressed the defensive tackle position by re-signing Jeremiah Ratliff[​IMG] and selecting Ego Ferguson[​IMG] and Will Sutton[​IMG] in the second and third rounds of the draft.
    The Bears also waived second-year running back Michael Ford[​IMG], who appeared in 12 games as a rookie last season after earning a roster spot as an undrafted free agent. Coach Marc Trestman acknowledged last week that Ford was behind Shaun Draughn[​IMG] and rookie fourth-round pick Ka'Deem Carey[​IMG] in the competition for backup positions behind starter Matt Forte[​IMG].
    Other players waived Sunday included cornerbacks Derricus Purdy[​IMG] and Peyton Thompson[​IMG], guard/center Dylan Gandy[​IMG], tackle Joe Long[​IMG], and receivers Greg Herd[​IMG] and Kofi Hughes[​IMG].
    The Bears must trim six more players by 3 pm Tuesday to reach the NFL's mandatory 75-man roster limit. Teams must then reach the 53-man limit by 5 pm Saturday.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,254 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    Pretty safe to say that Vereen, Mundy, McCray, and Conte are in. Question is now if someone like Steltz sticks for STs.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,912 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Not that I agree completely but I'm also not shocked by them releasing Wilson and Collins now so they have a shot at catching on elsewhere.

Mundy won the start at SS and we need STeam guys. Wilson isn't one so that leaves him out.

Collins has been stuck with the 3rd team so the handwriting was on the wall. Ego and Sutton are the keepers as expected and in addition the play of the DEs has been too good not to keep the extra DL there and also add a player or two to STeams like Lane and or Washington. Bass is likely to be let go next go round.
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +763 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    Who will be the next 6 cut. Any guesses
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +763 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    753ß
    My Guess next 6 cuts
    WR: Edwards
    OL: Boggs
    S: MD Jennings
    CB: Hurst
    DE: Robertson
    hung up between a TE, WR, or DT but probably either Mastrud, Moss, or Pegues respectively
    • Agree Agree x 1