Five reasons to believe in the Chicago Bears (USA Today)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,588 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Just posting this because it comes from a national news source.

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/07/22/five-reasons-to-believe-in-the-chicago-bears/

Five reasons to believe in the Chicago Bears

By MAGGIE HENDRICKS
    [​IMG]
    ( Dennis Wierzbicki-USA TODAY Sports)
    Not every team should be believed in. The Jets are still figuring themselves out. The Browns are hoping for one week without a player’s name in the news. And the Redskins, well, they’re the Redskins.
    There are some teams who aren’t favorites to win the Super Bowl, but have enough of the pieces in place to believe a run deep into the playoffs is possible. Starting in Chicago, where the offense is hoping the defense can keep up.
    [​IMG]
    (Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports)
    1. A revamped defense: Last season, the age of Chicago’s defensive core showed. Brian Urlacher retired. Lance Briggs was injured for much of the season. Julius Peppers struggled, and Charles Tillman had little help in the backfield. But through the draft and free agency, Chicago’s defense has been strengthened. Jared Allen and Lamarr Houston were added to the defensive line, and cornerback Kyle Fuller was drafted.
    [​IMG]
    (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)
    2. An offensive line with continuity: Barring injury, the Bears’ 2014 offensive line will be the same as the 2013 version. Last year’s line was young, but did a good job protecting the quarterback and opening lines for Matt Forte. Now, they’ll be on their second year under Marc Trestman’s offense and working together.
    [​IMG]
    (Dennis Wierzbicki-USA TODAY Sports)
    3. Proven targets for Jay Cutler: Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery and Martellus Bennett flourished last season, and gave the Bears several targets for defenses to worry about. Cutler is healed from the injuries that hobbled him in 2013. With the line working and several pass-catching options, he should be able to flourish.
    [​IMG]
    (Andrew Weber-USA TODAY Sports)
    4. An underrated running game: Quick, which running back had the second-most yards in the NFL last season? Was it Jamaal Charles? Maybe Adrian Peterson? No, it was Matt Forte. He ran for 1,339 yards, and added another 594 yards as a receiver. With a total of 12 touchdowns, he also shook off the scoring problems he has faced in the past.
    [​IMG]
    (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)
    5. The relatively easy NFC North: Minnesota and Detroit are both trying to figure out what to do with talented, disparate pieces. The Packers have a healthy Aaron Rodgers again, and will be the team to beat. But their defense isn’t anything to be concerned about. Even with a split against Green Bay, Chicago could go 5-1 in the NFC North, setting up a walk to the divisional title.
  2. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +705 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    Wow, what's she smoking and can i have some of it? The lions worry me now that they have a head coach not named Gym Shorts. The vikings will be the cellar dweller for sure, but they really only need a QB to be trouble. The Pack doesn't need a really good defense. The north is not the cakewalk they think out east.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    If nobodys hurt ... with a basically new defense yet to be proven,

which on paper looks to be competent,

no reason we cant screw some playoff teams wet dreams.

Then again with a defense yet to be proven ... we could be that playoff team.

And another team could try to screw us. Which is a good place to be.

Its better to be hunted then the hunter, means yer doin somthing right.

You want a mental hurdle to overcome ?

What if in Week 2 we beat Frisco @ Frisco?

The lowest price ticket is $299.00 for that game.

Week 4 vs. Green Bay ... beat them.

Week 8 @ New England. Beat them.

Weve just overcome the 3 major obstacles of THE CHICAGO BEARS for the last 20+ years.

The national medias ears will perk up:

"Whoa! Theres somthing going on in CHICAGO!"

"Think its worth a look see?"

"Nah ... its just DAA BEARRSSE."

"Oh ... nevermind."

Although in reality if we knocked off Frisco,G.B.,N.E.by Week 8 ...

it would be hard to ignore.

:3 11 3[1]:
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    It's Shworts, Gym Shworts! :rofl2:

I love Maggie Hendricks I really do but if I've told that girl once I've told her a thousand times just two hits and only two! This stuff is a lot stronger than the stuff we smoked in the '70s. :10 7 6[1]:

We can go 5-1 but it's not gonna be a cakewalk. I do believe we have it more together than the Lions and Vikings but neither is gonna be all that easy to beat on the road, especially Detroit on Thanksgiving Day. Damn I hate it when we have to play that game. Fucks up the entire schedule.

I'm no longer worried about the Packer's defense either. Dom Capers can put in all the overtime he wants but he doesn't have enough juice to stop the Bears from scoring. Not with Trestman coaching. This isn't a breather for him any more. Our issue with them is stopping Rodgers from carving that secondary into pieces and tackling Lacey before he gets 15 yards downfield.
  5. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I agree for the most part, but Jim Caldwell certainly doesn't scare me. The Lions are good enough to beat just about anybody on "any given Sunday", but they just can't put it together to be consistent and it doesn't matter who is on the sidelines. Why is that? I don't have a clue. Why does Cleveland always suck as well? Why haven't the Cubs won a World Series in over 100 years? Some teams have spurts of talent but they are just never able to maintain their erection. That is the Detroit Lions; you can't sleep on them, they are certainly not an automatic win by any stretch of the imagination, but they just don't really scare anyone.

The Vikes? You're right. Give them a QB and they've got something cookin, but that could have been said about the Bears for decades. It's not that easy to find that QB.

The Packers? Yea, they are the team to beat. For now. I think the most interesting thing to watch with the Pack will be to see if Peppers actually helps them or will he hurt them. My gut feeling is that he will hurt them over the long haul, but he will help them when they play us. He will find just enough in the tank to be a royal pain in Cutlers ass, but he will bog them down in other games. I just think his time has past.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,281 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,449ß
    True 4D, but even the Cubs and Cav's have had spurts of good teams that win.

And Caldwell turned Flacco from average to near bust into franchise, and he's been to SB's. That's the kind of thing that can help a young talented team w/a losing culture turn the tide. I wouldn't sleep on Det, even though I would guess they'll finish 3rd in the Div.
  7. shark86x

Ratings:
    +705 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    I believe Detroit suffered from Shwartz's attitude. With a new coach to keep the players focused they could play like a team instead of a bunch of loose cannons. They could be very dangerous with the talent from all those high draft picks over the years. I still think they're #3 this year, but it won't be as easy to beat them anymore.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    personally I dont see Caldwell as a threat. He was the reason for the Suck for Luck campaign. He was handed Dungy's team and lost it with Manning. Green Bay will be Green Bay, question remains can we beat them? As for Minnesota, it will take a few years to get that team up and running
  9. shark86x

Ratings:
    +705 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    Well now, that puts it in a different perspective. I guess I'm not so worried about Detoilet anymore. They may yet be better just because they might play harder to prove themselves for a new coach, but he's not the guy to turn that culture around. Thanks for talking me off the ledge VJ!