Five things we learned vs. Lions

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 29, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    FWIW

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,096 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    1) There isn’t a coach alive that can permanently eliminate these types of games from Cutler’s resume. I think after this game, there is no doubt about that. Cutler is in the mix w/Rivers and Romo for elite talent but sub par decision making which will always prevent him from being that guy you can rely on game in game out for 3-4 games in a row.

2) Tackling has been sloppy, but again I'd go back to the last 2-3 years and say it's been that way for awhile. This D over that time frame has been a turn over or TD, rarely w/many stops. The D has dropped a notch, but that's b/c Peppers might be closer to retirement then we thought, Melton is done for the year and Shea is a bust; for all those thinking Izzy would have made a difference go look at is whopping 3 tackles and come back and say it again w/out laughing hysterically.

3) Jeffery was a beast today w/out question the best WR on the field; for both sides.

4) ST's were awful, I mean awfull, and really have been outside of Gould and Hester all year. But really I think we all saw that happening after Toub left; when it comes to ST 's coaches it's him, and everyone else.

5) Future is bright for all of the OL, they were not the problem today. Cutler was the problem, on O, and Marshal wasn't helping w/his play, he missed way to many passes.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    This is exactly how I see it too.

The question I am asking myself this morning, is tied to that Cutler evaluation. This is as good as it's going to get with Jay Cutler as our QB. Is that "good enough" for us to keep him after this season? I feel like he has a lot of good attributes, but will always fall apart in games. Do we "settle" and keep him anyway, knowing he probably won't come through in big games (like championship games)? Do we pay elite money to keep him here, when he will never be an elite QB? Or do we roll the dice on another QB?
  4. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +666 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    264ß
    1. Jay. It will take Jay a while to get the sound of pounding feet out of his head. He has been sacked too many times the last few years for that to go away quickly. Also, many QBs have stated that it takes 2-3 years to get acclimated to a system. This is Cutler's 1st year in this system, and with a whole slew of new players. How many new systems has he had to learn in the last 5 years? It's going to take time.

2. Defense. Defense played horribly in the first half. Better in the second, but it was too late. Jay went into gunslinger catch up mode early. Missed tackles, missed assignments, poor coverage. Tucker needs to figure out the problems with our rush PDQ.

3. Alshon. I continue to be impressed with this kid. He really worked it this offseason, and it shows. Love his blocking on the Fort TD. He took out two defenders at the same time.

4. Special Teams. Hester looked bad, Podlesh worse. What happened to 23 from last week? I think neither is back next year. The entire ST was way out of position on that big runback. Big momentum changer, and if I have to credit one play for our loss, that was it. Not Jay's INTs which came after in his ill-advised catch up panic mode.

5. Right Guard. Long did well against Suh. and Fairley. Could have been better, but well enough for a rookie against possibly the best DT in the league.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,259 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    301ß
    1) When Jay comes unglued, ball security and pocket awareness and sloppy mechanics are where it shows. I've resigned myself to the fact that he's never going to eliminate the bed-wetting entirely but he has to raise his "floor of play" above the level of Mark Sanchez to be a deep-playoff-run QB. I'm not giving up yet on what Trestman can accomplish with him but yesterday needs to become his worst game of the year, not one of several that bad to come in 2013. An equal number of TD passes and QB turnovers is not worth $15+ million a year. Lets see if he can put this behind him a lot better than he's done in the past.

2) The D is definitely not what we all expect and that was true even before Melton went down. The decline seems greater than you would expect just from being "a year older". Even though yesterday's loss wasn't on the D nearly as much as it was on Cutler, Tucker does need to make adjustments. I would get Shea off the field except in select pure passing situations as he's a liability. They did manage to force 3 takeaways and 2 additional fumbles the Lions were lucky to recover but yeah it is a big concern. The fact that the D is no longer a top unit is all the more reason why Cutler can't be so loose with the ball.

3) Jeffery is the real deal and has made big strides.

4) DeC is a disappointment so far. And Hester has had one game in which he was a impact player. That big punt return yesterday was mostly on Podlesh for a terrible kick but I admit the coverage units have declined.

5) I don't know what else you could reasonably expect from the OL. They've done a great job considering the personnel changes, inexperience, and the fact that they've played two of the NFL's best DLs so far.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +614 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    346ß
    lions played a good game, Bears contained CJ again even though we gave up a TD. Reggie Bush had a good game, Stafford had a horse shoe up his ass, and Jay threw 3 favres in the game and lost a fumble.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +294 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    318ß
    I record every Bears game . That turd got erased as soon as the game was over . And I cancelled my scheduled recording of Bears post game live before it started ..... cuz there's only so much a man can take . Much of this game is on Cutler but the D was a joke also so it was defenetly a team loss .
  8. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +614 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    346ß
    Incase the Bears self destruct we still have the Chicago Blackhawks.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    And the Cubs. Next year.
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz: