Football Gameplan's 2014 Inside the War Room - Chicago Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by EmDiggy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. EmDiggy

EmDiggy Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
  2. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Some interesting picks for sure and some that I thought ....... Who is this guy?
    I could see a couple of them including the QB pick. Stash him on the IR and let the coaches work their magic so he'll be ready to take the reigns from Jay when the time comes (like GB did with Rogers).
    With Emery we never know and that's what makes it interesting.
    ;)
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,654 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,839ß
    Ver interesting picks, not sure if they go DT they go w/Nix, he's definatley more of 3-4 or hybrid guy(as he said Wilfork in NE) then your "classic" 3 tech. Then again they did say that they will run SOME, even if minimal, 3-4, and that wold require a bigger NT and Nix would be that.
    I do like Gaines at CB
    Lke Baily at S
    This is where he loses me, Rb inthe 4th when you still need better TE depth and ILB depth.
    Mettenberg, okay I get this one it's later in the draft so why not?
    Martin, I get need a future C
    Shenbo OLB also? again loses me this is not where you want to be taking LB's in the draft, this is where you do want to be taking RB's though.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I like Bailey and Mattzenburger, outside of that I dont really like this Mock up
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Sorry Emory but I beg to differ on your 1st four picks and here's why.

1) Nix you take to play next to Paea? Both are NTs so they wouldn't play next to one another and either they would alternate or Ratliff would alternate with Nix and they move Paea to the DT spot. Sorry but no one is gonna game plan much for a 3 tech combo of Paea and Collins. The Bears failure to stop the run last year wasn't because they lacked a jumbo NT. It was largely due to injuries and a sad lack of quality depth and the moves the made in FA already have pretty much taken care of that problem. If the Bears draft a DT at #14 it needs to be a 3 tech DT to replace Henry Melton. That position is the missing link in the DL, not NT. Donald should be their guy/

2) Gaines maybe, but in round two there are better player picks than him and he's rated lower. More like a 3rd or 4th round pick. He's too big a reach in two. Here's where a FS or a LB goes. Jimmie Ward as a FS and guys like Skov or Borland at MLB.

3) We could do better than Bailey if we moved the Safety pick to round two and anyway Bailey is rated better as a SS and we need a FS with better range. Here's where I'd look for a CB to sit behind Tillman and Gaines might fit here or Aikens.

4) Freeman? Worth a 4th round pick but I don't see a RB this high with more needs at other positions on defense. There are many good RBs in this draft that could be taken in six or even signed as UDFA. Whoever the guy is he may need to play STeams too because he'll rarely see the ball. LB, S, CB, or DL here.

I don't know enough about the others to comment other than Mettenberger and to say he's fairly rated as a 5th rounder.
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    I watched some of Nix on NFLN, looked pretty agile actually. Would be interesting how he would do at NT in a traditional 4-3. Would think he gets platooned w/Paea at NT not Paea at 3tech. Donald would be the straw that would stir the whole drink though imo. I just don't think he'll be there at #14.
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I would think so or with Ratliff but neither of them is a true 3 tech DT. Nor is Collins really. What we're talking about more or less is guys who "can" also play DT but are primarily 4-3 Shade NTs. DT isn't their natural line position, NT is. IMHO Collins is a little more of a 3 tech hybrid who can also play NT for a few snaps but he doesn't have the size or strength to play it full time like Paea and Ratliff do. None of them are top rushers either. The best of the bunch at really coming off the ball is Paea but he doesn't have the closing or pursuit speed of guys like Melton or Donald.

Most of these two gap NTs are fairly agile now. Far more the Woolfork or Raji type than the old Terrible Teddy Washington type. I doubt Teddy could have even broken 6 seconds in a 40 yard dash but he was great at being an immoveable force at NT. But again this is were I think our pal Emdiggy there misses the boat. If you draft Nix then you're asking him to play in a one gap 4-3 defense when he's spent his college career playing a two gap 3-4. So now we have another guy whose slightly out of position and IMHO that's not how you maximize a guys talents. That's another Shea McClellin approach.

If what we want is another Shade NT type who "can" play 3 tech DT too then I'd think Jernigan would be the right pick. One way or another I believe we need to draft a kid who can penetrate into the backfield by splitting gaps to disrupt and rush. That's what Melton did and unless we're changing the way we play that front he's the guy we need to replace. We have guys now who do more bull rushing and that's what Nix would do as well. I don't think Nix is a bad choice so much as I believe he's the wrong choice for the Bears defense.

I would rather take a guy later whose a better fit than I believe Nix would be.