Former CFL OLineman Michael Ola Gets His Shot....................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 13, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,759ß
    Michael Ola in perfect spot for chance with Bears

Offensive lineman vying for backup spot known commodity to coach Marc Trestman and line coach Pat Meyer from time in CFL

[​IMG]
    CAPTIONS

Bears OTA practice
    Alshon Jeffery takes in a Jay Cutler pass at the Bears workouts. (Phil Velasquez, Chicago Tribune /June 11, 2014)

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter
    10:34 p.m. CDT, June 12, 2014

As the Bears prepared for minicamp to conclude their offseason a year ago, J'Marcus Webb was lining up with the starters at right tackle.

It wasn't until the early portion of training camp that Jordan Mills moved him aside in one of four changes made on the offensive line. But this summer, it doesn't look like there will be any starting jobs up for grabs in the trenches for the Bears' offense.

But that doesn't mean healthy competition doesn't exist for roster spots with minicamp set to open Tuesday at Halas Hall. The biggest overhaul the team made a year ago was on the line and the bottom of the depth chart could be turned over this time around with a cast of interesting prospects in competition for what looks like tw jobs.
    The Bears figure to keep nine linemen on the 53-man roster with veterans Eben Britton and Brian de la Puente well-positioned to serve as the top two backups. That would leave two more slots behind the starting five with seventh-round pick Charles Leno Jr., James Brown, entering his third season, Taylor Boggs, Michael Ola, Joe Long and maybe even some undrafted rookies like Wisconsin's Ryan Groy and Temple's Cody Booth in the mix.

Boggs also has experience with the coaching staff, having worked as center Roberto Garza's backup last season. Joe Long, no relation to right guard Kyle Long, was signed off the Steelers' practice squad late last season and the Bears recently have experimented moving the tackle inside to play some guard. Reserves, especially those deep on the depth chart, have to be versatile. Ola played for coach Marc Trestman and line coach Pat Meyer with the CFL's Alouettes and the Bears claimed him off waivers from the Dolphins on May 29.

Ola, who was undrafted out of Hampton in 2011, worked out for the Bears, Redskins, Chargers and Dolphins after last CFL season. The Bears tried to sign him to a future/reserve contract but they were not offering him a signing bonus and the Dolphins gave him $5,000 up front. That might not seem like much but the minimum salary in the CFL last season was $45,000.

The decision to go to the Dolphins nearly cost Ola a shot to work for coaches who knew him. But the Dolphins overhauled their front office after Ola was signed and opted to release him before ever seeing him in an organized team activity. The early release was the best thing that could have happened to him.
    Now, the Bears have Ola, who is probably a little smaller than his team-listed 6 feet 4, 312 pounds, to evaluate when full pads go on in training camp next month. He worked at right guard with the second team at Wednesday's OTA and also has been seeing some sets at tackle."Just to have the opportunity twice to play for Trestman, let alone once, this is where I am supposed to be," Ola said.

Ola's path to the NFL has been circuitous. He was with the Hartford Colonials in the UFL before the team folded. Next was a tryout with the Virginia Destroyers, another team in the UFL, before spending training camp with the Arena League's Orlando Predators. They released him in time for him to hook on with the Jacksonville Sharks, for whom he started. Then, he found his way to Canada where Trestman and his staff took a liking to him.

"At times you might feel like giving up and quitting," Ola said. "I thank God for my family and inner circle for keeping me grounded. They made sure I left no stones unturned and I am fortunate to be here today.
    "I couldn't tell you what the coaches are thinking or what the roster spots look like. I don't get paid to do that. It's about competition. You have to beat the guys out and you have to keep your spot in front of you."
    There are not any starting jobs up for grabs on offense, and the number of roster spots that will be decided in training camp and exhibitions are minimal. But competition for the last spots on the offensive line is real and while the hope is these players are not pressed into action, the Bears' decline as an offensive line in the recent past was partly because backups never were groomed into even marginally capable starters.

(I gotta kick out of this because to me it seems more like even the starters were never even groomed to be marginally capable starters)

That is what makes combing through the bottom of the depth chart on the offensive line important. That is why Ola admits now he should have joined the Bears at his first opportunity in January because it's a shot with coaches who know him. "I couldn't write the script any better," Ola said.

He could by making the team. But even with training camp right around the corner, final cuts are a long way off.

bmbiggs@tribune.com
    Twitter @BradBiggs

Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,759ß
    Guess the media is really stretching out for players to write about this week. Right now Ola is probably no better than 12th or 13th on a depth chart that only has room for 8 or 9 linemen. But hey we gotta give the little guys some ink too right?
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    173ß
    Come on ... What does a football guy have to write about at this time of year? Biggs is pretty good at what he does.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,143 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    515ß
    Gotta bring in the clicks from Hampton and Montreal....
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    751ß
    Biggs never has an opinion or a feeling. All he does is recite what everyone says.
  6. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +214 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    I think this guy may be a tad small and I don't recall ever noticing his play. Doesn't strike me as any kind of standout lineman. He did play right tackle, but he really had the wrong build for it in the CFL. Prototypical tackles up here tend to look like big TEs ( 300-330, 6'4" to 6'8"). Funny selection perhaps, but Trestman and Meyer obviously see something.

BTW, I think I now qualify as a real Bears fan. Out running errands in Hamilton and a guy drove by me with a Packers hat on his dash. I called him a very rude name.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,759ß

I know. I'm not doing a rap on Biggsy just the lack of new material this time of year. Must be hard for the Bears beat writers to come up with something new. I'm just glad we aren't seeing all the anti-Cutler crap we saw last year and the year before. I'd much rather read about Michael Ola than that. I like Biggsy and always have.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,759ß
    David Haugh is more the "opinion guy" and Biggsy is the guy he gets to bounce stuff off of during their post game wrap ups. But you really can't say Biggs has no opinions. Not if you read his mailbag columns as religiously as I do. People ask, he answers, sometimes it's facts and other times it's opinions and sometimes both.

Of all the media guys on the Bears beat the one I like best is "Moon" Mullin on CSN Chicago. He digs for the right info and gives good commentaries on it. And if he doesn't know something he says he doesn't know. He doesn't make shit up or offer stupid opinions like David Kaplan does. "Moon" is a very high credibility guy and I think very well respected by the Bears organization.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,759ß

:36 1 32v[1]: :gbsux:
  10. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +172 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    86ß
    +1 to you. Packers suck.
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +760 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    751ß
    I look at Biggs as a source of information which is normally factual. He basically has received the information from a reliable source and relays is on. If you are looking for Bostic beating on DJ and if he sees it happening, he will have no valid input. You will get the standard "to early to tell, many are hopeful, and occasionally he will state he does not expect to see that happen, but seldom does Biggs come out and tell you how he feels or thinks something will work out.

I agree Moon Mullin and Dan Pompei are my favorites
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,759ß

Yeah Pompei used to do the mailbag column before Biggsy and he was usually more opinionated. (which I actually enjoyed) I wonder what happened there. Has Pompei moved and isn't with the Trib any longer?

I see your point. It's tougher to debate anything Biggs says because it's just info that's as close to the fact as possible. He does read between the lines a little at times but seldom speculates or offers a strong opinion on anything. Like I said that seems to be David Haugh's job and now there are a couple of newbies on the beat too.

That young kid from the Sun-Times, Adam Jahns, is pretty good too. I often see him on Kaplan's show and because he looks like he barely started shaving a month a ago Kaplan will often challenge him on his thoughts but the kid researches well and sticks to his guns when he's formed an honest opinion. As for Kaplan I think the guys is a schmuck.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I to am a paker fan ,but I was a not a die hard ,since I am mainly a CFL guy. But I am not even interested in the pack anymore since the CFL took over the bears. lol I am now a bears fan.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,911 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,759ß
    LOL, we must be the most open minded Bears Forum around since one of our chief staff members, assault administrator, and wielder of the infamous ban hammer is a huge Packer fan. We only let Loki come around though if he promises not to wear his cheese hat. :rofl2: