Forte looking to build off '13

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jun 1, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/
    Forte looking to build off '13

May, 30, 2014
    9:00AM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

First they signed Chester Taylor to a $12.5 million deal; then they brought on Marion Barber to the tune of $5 million before adding Michael Bush the next year for $14 million.

Three years in a row, the Chicago Bears invested heavily in No. 2 running backs to play behind starter Matt Forte.

Now they're all gone. So forgive Forte for saying he feels “indifferent” about the Bears using a fourth-round pick to bring in yet another running back in Ka'Deem Carey.

Andrew Weber/USA TODAY SportsMatt Forte had a career-best 1,339 rushing yards last season.
    “Since I’ve been here, they’ve had a lot of running backs come in,” Forte said. “Even when I was going through my contract stuff, bringing in Michael, and the year before that Marion, and the year before that Chester Taylor; so it’s not like I don't care. But it’s not like I really care a lot. It’s just another guy who’s coming in. I can help him out if he wants to be helped. But at the same time, I’m worried about this offense and what I can do in it, and what we can do together.”

In 2013, Forte did quite a bit, putting together five games with at least 150 yards from scrimmage, including five 100-yard rushing performances. Forte ranks No. 3 since 2008 in yards from scrimmage (6,666 rushing yards and 2,919 receiving).

When Forte puts up at least 100 yards rushing, the Bears are 17-3.

Although the 2013 season represented somewhat of a positive change for Forte, who produced the second-lowest rushing total of his career in 2012 (997 yards), there is a sense that as well as the offense performed last season, it still hasn't reached its full potential.

“I would just say it was a little bit more carries than the year before,” Forte said. “So when that average yards per carry is up, then you get more carries and you get more yards that way. The offensive line did a great job especially last year, just basically getting me to the second level and letting me work from there. The receivers blocking downfield also helped a lot. We had, I think, three or four 50-plus yard runs, and you [don't] get that without blocking downfield and handling them up front.”

Now there is pressure to raise the bar this season, which is part of the reason the staff, according to Forte, told the team during meetings, “We can't be blinded by the success we had last year and think it’s gonna automatically come this year.” Forte believes the upcoming season will mark the first time in his career the team will bring back “the exact same offense” and the “whole starting offense.”

Now all involved need to validate the front office and coaching staff’s faith.

“We've got to work hard and try to obtain bigger and better things in the offense this year,” Forte said. “Not just statistically, but whole-game wide; finishing games, not letting teams get close, and just scoring more and more points each game.”

Throughout Forte’s tenure with the Chicago Bears, there has been the perception that he is not capable of moving the chains in short-yardage situations. In the past, Taylor, Bush and Barber took on those roles, and it’s unclear how the team plans to proceed in that area in 2014.

But Forte believes he’s capable of producing in short-yardage situations, and he is unmoved by the perception that he can’t.

“I don't care,” Forte said. “That’s part of the game that I can do. If they don’t want me to do it, then I won't do it. Obviously, Mike [Bush] was 240, 250 pounds and from looking from the outside you say, ‘Oh, he’s the short-yardage back.’ So it just depends on what the coaches feel like. If they want to put in this type of running play, maybe somebody else is better at running a different type of play that calls for short yardage. We haven't talked about it yet. But I'm pretty sure once we get close to the season, put on the pads and stuff, we’ll start going over that type of stuff.”
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    There's been a common theme from the players, and coaches, at least on the O side of the ball, and it's they cannot allow last years success allow them to slack. It seems the team from HC to backup players is going to understand the need to get better and won't let what happened last year blind them.

After Tillman, I think Forte might be the most under rated, Bear, NFL had him at 90 w/7 other RB's ahead of him, and PFF didn't have him in the top 100 at all(really showing just how far they've fallen in regards to how they work their stats compared to a few years ago).

W/the myth that Chicago is where WR's come to die is now debunked, it might be time to start up a new myth, Chicago is where vet backup rb's come to end their career....Bush is still sitting on the streets. I'm certain he'll actually end up somewhere b/c of an inj though, teams get desperate for that easily filled position.
  3. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    I don't see why Forte couldn't have an even better year in 2014. The guy is an animal and the run blocking Week 1 for 2014 is going to be a hell of a lot better than run blocking in the beginning of 2013. Should have a career year barring injury.

I'm glad everyone is humble, you get too cocky and expect success and then you're in major trouble. Stay hungry, no matter what. I think the coaches we have in place do a good job of keeping everyone humble, it's a solid structure from top to bottom.
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    Establishing the passing game should help Forte, not saying he needs it but it helps. I am liking the K Carey pick more and more, if nothing else we got the back up RB for cheap and he has to do as good as Busch, Barber, and Taylor did as Bears. Some RB's get better with as the game goes on which makes it difficult to be a backup RB. Kind of wonder if we do not need to get the #2 RB more carries to get them going.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    If the Bears want to keep Forte around another 2-3 years they need to keep his rushes under 300. which they've done since his rookie year so If they plan on rushing more then that then Carey needs to get those extra carries.

If the Bears want to run Forte into the ground and let him walk then Carey should get just a fraction of those carries.