Forte: Pro Bowl draft led to playful jabs

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jan 30, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    Forte: Pro Bowl draft led to playful jabs
    January, 29, 2014
    4:57 PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

Chicago Bears running back Matt Forte enjoyed the new format of the Pro Bowl, but the draft leading into it was “way too long,” he said, leading to some ribbing behind the scenes with teammate Brandon Marshall.

Marshall and Forte weren’t taken until the 16th and 19th rounds, respectively by Hall of Fame Jerry Rice, whose team went on to defeat the team of Deion Sanders, 22-21. Forte finished as his team’s leading rusher (31 yards on six attempts), while Marshall caught one pass for 21 yards.

“It is stressful. After a while, you’re like, ‘All these guys are getting picked, and I’m not really getting [picked],’” Forte said Wednesday on NFL Network. “We were both back there actually making fun of each other. Some of the receivers went, and I was like, ‘Ah, you’re old. This is gonna be your ninth year. You’re getting old.’ Then they picked [Green Bay Packers running back Eddie Lacy], and a couple of other running backs -- [Dallas’] DeMarco [Murray] went, [Philadelphia’s] LeSean [McCoy] went -- and I was back there. [Marshall] was looking at me like, ‘You’re old. You’re getting old, too.’”

Despite all the jokes in the background, both Forte and Marshall seemed genuinely offended by their draft position. Shortly after Rice took Marshall, the receiver walked over to Sanders, a Hall of Fame cornerback and alumni team captain.

Forte, Marshall and Alshon Jeffery played on Rice’s winning team. Rookie guard Kyle Long was assigned to Sanders’ team on the first day of the draft, where he teamed with Bears cornerback Tim Jennings, who was also assigned to that team in the 20th round.

The 2014 Pro Bowl represented a format change implemented last July in an attempt to re-energize the league’s annual all-star game.

With Rice and Sanders as alumni team captains, both had a say in which players ended up on the teams, along with input from player captains. J.J. Watt of the Houston Texans and Kansas City running back Jamaal Charles served as the player captains on Sanders’ team. New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and St. Louis defensive end Robert Quinn held the title of player captains for Rice’s team.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,120 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    Unfortunately, both players (Marshall & Forte) are getting a bit high mileage. RB's often tend to be old by 30 due to the extreme wear and tear on their bodies at that particular position. And B.Marsh is a very physical WR who's body gets hammered - and he's already had some issues (the hip issue in particular) to deal with. When I watch Brandon play, I am amazed at how he sacrifices his body to get every last inch of yardage. I love watching how he plays with so much passion. But I also cringe sometimes when his body gets slammed around so hard.

Regarding RB's in particular, I've noticed that often they abruptly go from being studs to being poor performers in a single season. Kind of like what we saw in DE Peppers this season.

So yeah, these two guys ARE getting a bit on the old side. This is one reason why I'm glad to see the young WR's we now have on the roster. Smart teams always have young players ready to step in, for that day when the vets need replacing. Dumb teams just go into crisis management when the vet needs replaced, and there is nobody ready to step up......at least not a talented player ready to step in.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    The 30 thing is old hat and not necessarily accurate, it's about touches, and Forte actually has under those touches to be okay for another 2-3 years. He is not a RB that tends to get the big DL hits that many RB's do b/c of how many outside runs and passes he gets. If I have time this weekend I'll look it up, but guys like Shawn Alexander, Larry Johnson, and other high profile lost it all at once guys had FAR more touches then guys like Gore and Forte, Gore is a good example of a RB that has carried the load and is still going strong.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,120 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    It's definitely not a blanket situation where all RB's hit the wall. All bodies are different, and some players are amazing in longevity no matter how much punishment they absorb in a career. I agree that Forte isn't a grind it out between the tackles RB. So, maybe he's got plenty of tread left. I hope so.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    It's not just that though, it's not just about body and conditioning, there really is a wall where after 2-3 years(I cannot remember it's been 2-3 years since i did the research) where the wall does really exist, but it's not just 1 year, it's mutliple years where they are way over the top on their touches, I think way over400 +, and Forte normally has under that.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    Also it seems like two years ago when coming into the contract negotiations, Forte really focused on putting himself in top physical form, and he has done the same thing each of the last two offseasons. He comes to training camp in spectacular shape, and hopefully that maintenance will lead to an extended career.
    • Like Like x 1