FREE AGENT PLAN

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 3, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    I cut the following off the roster. Taking the Dead Money hit for Pep and Bush
    upload_2014-3-3_21-28-17.png

Free agent Signings( de, fs,cb, dt) Thru some dollars at them. After all the above cuts I am about. $1.5m over the cap. May have to cut Michael Bennett for his $2.5M and not cut williams or tolliver above. Have 5 wr keeping Bennett.
    upload_2014-3-3_21-30-31.png

The draft looks more manageable now did a mock at draftek got the other DE to start, depth at DT, SS, CB, QB, TE, And ILB Did not play alot with the draft but it filled the spots. We can debate the order and the people but the light is not so far away. The 1.5M above cap included draft pick estimates from a site I found.
    upload_2014-3-3_21-37-29.png

Beat me up Scotty>>>> ooops Beam me up scotty. Doubt we can get all free agents and may need to step down a notch but within reach with the flexibility in the contracts we have I think
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    This is incredibly good work BSB but that bunch from Pep on down are all guys on the PS and in the offseason only the 50 highest cap numbers count so they won't need to do anything with them as far as the cap is concerned. Same with guys signed to reserve future contracts like "Buttheads" kid the punter. They do have to reserve enough for their draft picks at the minimum rookie scale so $420k x 7 picks is just short of $3 mil. Their actual costs count against the cap once they're signed but that won't be until late May or June.

So if they dump both Bush and Pep they can gain $11.67 mil and roughly another $4 mil if they designate Pep for a June 1st release or wait until then to release him so the potential cap savings from just those two moves is $15.67 mil. Hard to ignore huh? Both may be offered the choice of staying at a reduced salary with incentives like Earl Bennett was and maybe both have been offered that already and it's been accepted but we don't know because they haven't announced it and won't because it would tip their hand about their cap position before FA begins. Emery never does that.

If teams plan on releasing vets like those two they normally do it in advance of FA so they can have their agents line up other opportunities to sign elsewhere. The fact that they haven't indicates they may have worked out new deals with them or they won't release them until they know they can replace them for less money. With Pep that's especially important because Wootton is a FA and unless they sign him this week he's fair game and it would be pretty tough to lose both of your starting DEs with no replacements on board. It's not a whole lot different with Bush unless they believe guy like Ford or Willie Carter could replace him.

Phil knows he not only needs starters but he needs decent depth behind those guys or what happened to the defense last year happens again. Ever since the Caleb Hanie debacle he's made sure he's had a competent vet QB at #2 and a competent #2 RB behind Forte and I can't see him changing that which is why he wants McCown back and he hasn't let Bush go. Since he has other options available that can create cap space through the restructuring of other deals he may sit on these for now until he sees what he can do in FA and maybe even through the draft. There's actually a lot of ways he can create $20-$30 mil of it if he needs it but he won't until he does. The flexibility the built into the bigger deals they did earlier is there whenever he needs it to be. Those deals are very fluid as far as how they can be tweaked but no one is saying much about that least of all Phil.

I have to admit that I haven't the foggiest idea of who he may target in FA which is much different than last year when we kind of knew Bushrod would be in play and Bennett was not a surprise either. He's got room to do a couple of those bigger name deals this year too and maybe Bennett and Ward are on that list. A lot is gonna depend on who he brings back as far as his own guys and what that costs him. One thing about Emery and Stein is they seem to have a pretty good handle on the value a player brings to the team and once they set a price for that they don't seem to depart from it. The Urlacher deal told that story pretty well. So the best we can do is keep taking the same guesses we've been taking and by this time next week we'll begin to have answers.

As far as the draft goes I posted an interesting look at the Top 25 ranking from NFL.com and Bucky Brooks. We all know how fluid some of this is too and how guys can jump up or fall after their Pro Days but one thing I found interesting is that neither Ealy or Tuitt are in the Top 25 but Hageman is. Both are ranked as late first or early second guys who may rise or fall after their pro days. Nix was in that group as well and a few guys leaked into the Top 25 I'm not all that familiar with at all. What's also interesting is that the first ten or twelve picks are top heavy with OTs and 3-4 OLBs with a couple of QBs and WRs which means the Bears should have at least two or three top defensive players still on the board at #14 to choose from. Donald, Pryor and Dixon are all ranked around there or a bit lower and Gilbert just a little before #14. Of course none of this follows anyone's rankings to the letter but it does give some insight into what teams "big board" might look like.

I'll just sum this up by saying the Bears can have far more flexibility in FA than it might appear right now and that's without releasing anyone. All they have to do is convert 2014 salaries into signing bonus or some other form of a bonus they can defer to later years. That process can also be changed later on because you can always guarantee what's not and reverse the process.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    I agree lots of options to generate cap space. I just tried to see where I could get without giving big bonus money out. Many positions we have 6 to 8 players on the roster like WR and CB so I cut the low end guys to get the money to sign F/a. I am sure it wil not happen exactly like that but shows again we can get 2 or 3 impact FA's. Fill the draft around it and we may not be as desparate as we think. Middle of the road defense definetely achievable this year. May not be top 10 but fill a few holes next year and get some solid depth going.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    BS who's the starting MLB? You got depth there but no starter.

Other then that it looks awesome, I'd be pretty damn happy.
  5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,589 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    943ß
    Re-sign DJ Williams perhaps.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    maybe Jimmors, but he didn't have DJ as a re sign.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    If he's willing to play on a deal like he did last year I think they'll bring him back. We'll have to see how this week plays out as far as our own guys go. Come Saturday the agents can officially start talking turkey with other teams and putting the deals together that will be announced next Tuesday and throughout the week.

So far it looks to me like Emery is gonna let the market set values for most of them and take whatever risks he has to in order to avoid overpaying anyone. He's not hurting as much for cap space this year and that's a risky way to go about it with a few of them so I hope he knows what he's doing. We'll know soon enough now.

After this initial flurry I guess we'll see a couple of week hiatus and then the second tier guys will start signing deals so we probably won't know the whole story until the end of March. Once that's done they'll start looking at the guys they need to draft to fill in the rest of the holes. I kind of like it this way more than I did before. It's less congested.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Free agency should be pretty interesting this year. We obviously have a lot of needs on defense. As much as we need line help, I wouldn't mind seeing Ward and Verner signed.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    If I had it my way I would do something along the lines of trying resigning Melton and snagging Bennett and Byrd, then we draft a tackle with the 14th pick and in round 2 you snag a CB. We kind of have to be realistic and understand that the defense wont be fixed in one year
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Byrd wants big time dollars.
  11. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    So give it to him, yes we need to fix the front 4, i actually think letting Melton walk is the better move. With Raliff, Wooton, Rookie, Bennett as the starting front 4 this could help us alot! We do need an elite safety, lets just suck it up and go get him. Ward is good as well,ill settle for either
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Not without far more cap space than most any team has would you get all three. Even if you could find a way to squeeze them in this year you'd be handicapping yourself for years to come with the deferral of their bonuses and guaranteed money.

I can't see the Bears paying for Byrd but Donte Whitner maybe. And it's probably either Melton or Bennett but unless Melton will agree to a one year deal (and he won't), I could be wrong, but don't see any way they sign both to $35-$40 mil deals and that's what they'll want.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Just one more thing that also needs to be considered. The cap is only part of the equation and although it's an important part it isn't the only part. The Bears can only spend an amount of money equal to what team McCaskey will allow. Even though an entire contract isn't guaranteed a portion of some of them are and in some cases the cash is paid long before it's charged off against the cap. In any given year teams often spend far more in cash than they account for in cap costs because of the bonuses they pay upfront. So there's dollar limit as well as a cap limit Emery has to contend with too.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    Can't solve them all in a yr. I have a feeling Bostic or McClellin will claim the spot. I would like to see DJ as well and we have lots of flexibility with respect to the cap. Comes down to cutting Earl Bennett for DJ. or modifying some contracts, which we can do but I like Earl Bennett and did not want to slice the receiving corps without seeing a little more from Marquess Wilson. We have a strong Offense and I hate to weaken it. Bullough in draft is suppose to be pretty good but taking a hit for character issues. Not sure what trouble he got into outside of football, but he did something.
  15. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    Verner is the other one I want but just ran out of money and we have 6 CB 's on the roster so I presume Bowman and a draft pick may be it
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    You cannot afford NOT to solve the starting MLB this year; and Bostic/McClellin are at best backup/insurance policies. If the Bears plans are Bostic/She at MLB/SAM the team is in deep trouble. It's DJ, another MLB on a 1-2 year deal or early draft.
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    Ric, first off I have not given up on Bostic and hope with new coaches he has a breakout season. Will he be the starting MLB, I dont know but he definetly deserves a second yr, I originally was going to get DJ also but ran out of money. Guess you could let Bowman leave and use the money for DJ or free up more cash for Both. My thoughts are DLine, defense starts in the trenches so I got 2 DE's and a DT and I want a final line of Defense so I went with TJ Ward. Bowman did a nice job last yr filling in for Peanut so having to play the QB's in the div. twice a yr ( Rodgers and Stafford) I chose Bowman over MLB. Would love to have them both but hoping the Defensive Line can keep the lanes open for Bostic better this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I would like to see the Bears pick up any two of the three listed players, If they can get all three, all the better. Lidal Joseph (DT), Michael Bennet (DE) and Donte Whitner (S) in Free Agency, if they are still available. I like Linval Joseph to replace Henry Melton. Joseph is a real run stuffer, who could help plug up the middle, and command double teams. Joseph would cost around 5 mil a year, which would be cheaper than retaining Melton. MIchael Bennet would be a great addition, but will probably cost 7-8 mil a year. Donte Whitner would be great addition at safety, but will probably cost around 7-8 mil a year. Donte has had great production the last two years in SF. He provides vicious hit, and will probably cause people to get alligator arms when he starts closing on them. I like him better than Byrd and Ward who seems to have a high opinion's of their value. Whitner is more of a team player, and would bring much needed experience to the secondary. Whitner's value is based on the top safeties who have contracts in the 7-8 mil a year range. Whitner is a Pro bowler and top five safety in the league.
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    I've got to ask, where does this "Ward has a high opinion of himself" idea come from? Why, because he wants fair market value for his skills? Because he knows he's one of the top 2 free agent safeties on the market? Would you rather have a player who doesn't think highly of himself? Secondly, Ward and Whitner play strong safety, Byrd plays free safety. Which is more of a need for us? I'd say strong safety right now...mainly cause we don't have one on the roster. Ward was the best safety against the run last year...something we struggled against. QB's had a 61.3 rating when throwing at him. He's the total package. Give me Ward all day long.
  20. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Id rather have Browner i think