free agent S James Ihedigbo considering Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ojibway Bob, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    Is this guy any good? SS or FS? Don't know anything about him...
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +825 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    729ß
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    FWIW, I found this on a Lions sports news source:

• Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    Thanks, JABF. He sounds like a strong addition if we can land him without breaking the bank (which shouldn't be a problem after cutting Bennett and Weems). I was a bit underwhelmed previously by Emery's FA acquisitions at the S positions but maybe this guy would bolster that substantially. If so, that makes drafting a DT over a S in the 1st all the more sensible. As I was arguing before, DT is the more critical position and you can often get quality FA help at the S position a lot more readily and cheaply than you can on the DL.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. RoSto89

RoSto89 Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    31ß
    I live in the MD area, my Ravens fan friend said:

"Hes a tradition SS and we drafted matt Elam to play SS but we had hole at FS so Elam played FS but obviously shows hes a better strong then free so were putting Elam in at hes tradition position and looking for someone thats a better ball hawk and coverage safety instead of having two hard hitting safties but ihedigbo is a solid hard nose player I enjoyed watching him play in Baltimore you absolutely could do a lot worse then him"
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    You mean he's better than Major dumbshit Wright? How is that possible?

Maybe with him at SS and Mundy/Conte at Free we won't be such a disaster in the deep backfield. Ill settle for two guys who can tackle and don't let the ball get behind them 4 times a game.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,196 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    I'm all for it from the point of stocking up on quality starters and depth that we're not on the safety carousel for years to come. Also, I want us to have viable FS not a stockpile of SS guys like we had with Afalava, Payne, etc. in the Lovie era.
  9. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Watched Ihedibo this last year and he was asked to move to FS. He is a better SS but he was on the field because of his skill. Matt Elam was a first round pick, and he is on the field because of that, but also because he is pretty darn good.

Ihedibo would be the best safety on the team, but we would then have 12 SS on the team and no FS.

He would make the team better, but I want a real FS.
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß
    With many teams, the Bears included, there's less distinction between SS and FS at least in a Cover-2. If you bisect the field vertically each has responsibility for his half as opposed to bisecting it vertically with one playing the short zone and one the deep. So......what are we doing as far as the coverage in the secondary? Another $64,000 question.

Mundy was signed for 2 years @ $1.5 mil each so he's not a major expense. Cutting Weems pay for him and Mundy is a good STeams guy. So provided he's not too pricey there's still room for Ihedigbo AND a FS from the draft but if we sign this guy I'd be almost 100% certain Emery won't use a first round pick on a S.

I have a problem though. How in the blue hell do you pronounce this guys name? Man, it took me almost three years to get Izzy Idonije's name right. I may never make it with this guy. :confused:
    • Like Like x 2
  11. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I pronounce it "I-kwyjibo".

• Like Like x 2
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mundy can pay both free and strong, no?

If so and if we sign this Ravens guy, then we would have a starter at SS and two guys (Conte/Mundy) who can compete at FS plus Steltz and Jennings as reserves. That plus a mid-round draft pick is good enough depth by me. Please please don't tell me Emery would use the 1st round pick on yet another safety when we need DT way more.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß

Close enough for me brother. Now that's taken care of I'd say yes, let's sign James Ikwyjibo. It even looks better than Ihedingybo or how ever he spells it.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,853 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,559ß
    I think Mundy is more of a SS while the "I guy" (that's what he is 'til I learn his name) can play both. Signing him provides more vet experience so it's not a waste to do it plus draft a Safety whose more of a FS. These day if they have range and ball skills they can play either spot. Emery obviously hasn't totally given up on Conte.
  15. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    I would be more then happy to start this guy if we picked him up. It seems he had a pretty good season and the only reason why the Raven's wont match his contract is because they are in cap hell and know they wont be able to match it
  16. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß

mute the crap music
    • Like Like x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,375 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    Wow, I didn't realize that safeties were supposed to actually tackle people. Who knew? Maybe Mel should clue in our boys that this is allowed in the existing NFL rules (maybe even Conte could learn this new skill).
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Marshall#15

Marshall#15 Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    Nor should he. Hate me if you want but I haven't either which is why I'm not all enthused by drafting a safety before round 2 at the earliest. Conte is everyone's favorite whipping boy right now and yes I admit he had a horrible season. The whole D had a horrible season (except Jennings they all were either hurt, sucked bad, or both). Conte actually played pretty well in his sophomore campaign when there was an actual pass rush and an actual run-stopping DL ahead of him. Same thing with a LB corps that wasn't a total sieve. And I do think that CC was made to look even worse last year playing next to MajorDumbshit who frankly had no clue out there.

Give me one legit starter at SS and one legit competition guy at FS. Add in Conte, the reserves, and maybe a 3rd round draft pick and we are good IMO. Improving the front 7 will make the S position look much better.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß