free agent S James Ihedigbo considering Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Ojibway Bob, Mar 23, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Wish I could do 2 Likes. One for the vid and the other for the get rid of the crap music. Only that's not music. I know, because I play music and THAT is not music, it's ghetto poetry set to a drum beat.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

FWIW, and taking into consideration both the coaching staff and the rest of that inept defense, at one point in time John Hoke said Conte was scoring very high each game as far as carrying out HIS assignments. He had to overcompensate for a lot of things last year and he got some bad breaks. But he also blew chunks on some big plays and of course that's what most remember.

As far as that blown coverage in the Packer game goes there are two other parties that also bear some responsibility. One is James Anderson who changed the defensive play call before the snap. He needed to either make sure everyone got it or call time out and make sure everyone got it. That's the responsibility of the of field captain and play caller. The other was Bowman who should have been communicating with Conte if he recognized the change and wanted to make sure Conte got it.

This is where the lack of on field leadership was a crucial factor in the game and that wasn't the only time that kind of screw up happened. It was going on all year because players weren't sure of play calls and their assignments and to me it looked like a Chinese Fire Drill out there with guys looking around at one another and scrambling to get in position before a snap. No one can relieve Conte entirely for his mistakes. But he had an 8-8 season too, not 0-16.

That said, I hope we can sign I-what's his name. We can use more vet help back there and this kid from GB they got is doing them more of a favor than us I think.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,055 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,780ß
    Too many times BOTH of our safeties were wondering around looking like lost puppies out there. It made me want to cry watching it. It's been a long time since we had a solid safety in Chicago. Too long. Conte isn't going to miraculously turn into a stud. Just another dud.

This discussion reminds me of how we made excuses for the lame OL we had in recent years. I confess that I was one of the guys trotting out the lame excuses - even for J'Marcus Webb. Of course, in the end, I had to admit these guys just sucked. There WAS no way to justify their poor play. Conte reminds me of that exercise in futility. We need a fresh start at both safety positions. Wright and Conte are both pretty bad safeties.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    It could turn out that way. Before it's all said and done we'll have more competition for him to overcome if he expects to keep his job. The interesting thing is that his raw stats were better in 2013 than in 2012 but what's noticeable is that he had 90 total tackles. Oof. That's a LB like number. The only reason he ever had to make that many was because all of the ones the LBs missed. That alone put him in a bad situation of having to defend the run too much and the pass not enough.

I'm not implying we won't get two new Safeties but I'm still not 100% convinced we need two new Safeties. If who ever they have playing in the box is doing his job, and the LB are doing there's his total tackles will drop by almost half and he'll be able to defense passes better and have less open field tackles to make. Anytime a guy ends up as the last line of defense against both the run and the pass as often as he did bad things are gonna happened in the defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß
    The difference is Webb was given YEARS to improve. Conte is coming off just one season of the worst defenses we've seen. Get rid of Wright, give Conte some competition, and see what Tuckers scheme can do or not do.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,055 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,780ß
    I'm fine with that. And if Conte does prove to be decent, then that is great. I'm not hoping the guy will fail. I'm hoping Mel works magic with him.
  7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Hey MP68,

Just signed on late.

Did the Lions sign him ?
  8. Marshall#15

Marshall#15 Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    All the more need to take SAFETY with the second pick.
  10. RoSto89

RoSto89 Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    I'm a bit disappointed. I thought he might be a good fit with his supposed leadership skills. It seems the Bears D lacks a good, strong leader on the D. I don't think Briggs is it, he is a soldier that follows the leader (ie Mike Brown, Brian Urlacher). Tillman is a good vet but he can really lead from the corner to aline guys.

I'm hoping we snag Jammie Ward in the 2nd round, if not Pryor in the 1st.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    It was the $$$ no doubt. Phil makes offers but won't get into a bidding war for anyone. He has a price in mind and that's his deal. There are still other fish in the sea and the draft. At age 30 he would have been a stop gap for a year or two at best. Not that having a guy like him for that reason is bad but I'd be a lot happier if we solved this Safety problem once and for all for three or fours running.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Jimmie Ward might be a nice prospect. I think there's a little of Mike Brown in him. He's a tough kid whose around the ball a lot. He may need to bulk up a little but for his size he's a big hitter. Look at Jennings. He's the smallest guy on the defense but one of the best tacklers.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +994 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß
    I've been saying that for months. Bringing in veterans every year is not a longterm solution. We need to fix the team with younger players through the draft.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +64 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    It's a sad day when players start choosing to play for the Lions over the Bears. Okay so go sign C.Clemons now Emery he's better anyway.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,055 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,780ß
    It's probably the money, not the place. Our D was a total train wreck last season, but players will come here if we pay them.........Emery is probably doing the right thing by not overpaying for FA talent. Ultimately the long-term fix for our D will (primarily) have to come through the draft. That's why it's a multi-year task. We'll take a step forward in 2014, and take another step in the 2015 season. The wheels just came off the D wagon in '13. It killed the team.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    And you have to ask yourself ... how could a long time mediocre OFFENSE go to #5 in scoring in the NFL in one year?

The absoulute pisser is ... can that be duplicated on DEFENSE ?

J99 we gotta be nuts to follow this team , but we know theres a long term outcome and soon.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    It's doubtful jackie. With the offense we already had two good QB, two good WRs, and a good all purpose back. All we needed was to rebuild the line and add a TE and half through the draft and half through FA Emery got that done. These are all younger guys or guys in their prime years too. We aren't gonna get quite that lucky on defense unless people play out of their minds. Tucker's history of building top five defenses doesn't exist. Screw the yardage. If we can just stop hemorrhaging 30 and 40 points per game we'll be able to out score most teams.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Oh, and on the thread topic. Has anyone seen any articles confirming Ihedigbo signed with Detoilet?
  19. RoSto89

RoSto89 Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß