Freeman and Sanchez. Who? Where?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by A-11, Sep 26, 2013.

1. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Random thought: Could you see either Freeman or Sanchez in a Bears uniform?

I do not really think either would be a backup project for Trestman and Co. to take on. However, I can't see McCown as being a serious option. Josh Mc. is what he is; a 34 year old QB in his eleventh season. Blanchard I like, but have not heard much about his status...

If Marc is who some say he is, then who is he whispering to? where is our project? Beyond the needed depth and practice arm, there is value to be had. It feels like a team weakness that needs to be addressed. Do you hang on until the '14 draft? In an earlier thread some people on the board were predicting CB, C, DE, DT, S, WR as positions of need come draft day.

I understand that with the existing player contracts both options are currently unrealistic. I'm just wondering if people on this board could justify such a random thought.
  2. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Another random thought: What "if" you decide not to pay Cutler?

Yeah it is a silly thought, but dang. It is going to take some $ to ink the paper.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I'd rather see Emery draft a young project QB for Trestman to work with and groom as a rock solid backup to Cutler for now, and maybe he could be an insurance policy for the future if Jay (for whatever reason) down the road is no longer here. They say this upcoming draft is absolutely loaded with QB talent. We wouldn't have to spend a 1st round pick on one. But get a player in the early rounds that has fantastic ceiling. Emery & Trestman seem quite capable of getting the right guy.

Regarding Freeman or Sanchez, I'd pass. It would be like the Jason Campbell experiment. Another deadbeat vet who can't play. Why spend money on that?
    • Like Like x 2
  4. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I guess I'm just scared that Cutler is going to cost too much. I think we probably need to go that route, and on your earlier poll JABF I voted for 5 years... I just don't know if I want to be locked in with Jay that long, hope to change my mind towards the end of the season. Still early in this new relationship.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    Yeah, I do understand. We are only 3 games into this season. I'll feel more comfortable with everything (not just Jay) if we see how we are later in the season (after having played that Green Bay game in week 9).
  6. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    We will have to pay for Cutler. I can't believe the going price for a QB. I have confidence Emery will play it safe with the duration of the contract. The other way to look at it is will another team pay more than us? I doubt it so its not all one sided. Jay also needs us.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    One nice thing about this, is that Cutler knows what it's like to play on a bad team for coaches who are ignorant. Right now, he is in a good place. He has plenty of toys on offense (including his very favorite toy of all....B.Marsh), a brilliant coach, playing behind a solid offensive line, and on a team that should be competitive for years - with Emery as GM.

He's going to be filthy rich here in Chicago, but if another team offers him more money, I don't see him leaving for that reason alone. He doesn't want to end up with a short career on a crap team - being a "human pinata" - and working for idiots again.
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Doesn't matter, Blanchard will be back after week 10.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    But I wonder if he is seen as the guy they want to develop, or just a guy they inherited from the Lovie era who's just "ok" but nothing special. It would be great if he is seen as "The Guy" to develop. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
  10. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If you got game, it doesn't matter whose era you came from. If they were to write off every kid from that era, we'd be short about 75% of our starters. One year doesn't exactly make his a product of it, anyway, and he was an Emery signee. Matt's got game, we saw that, and I bet the prognosis was close enough to 10 weeks that everyone got together and said here's a nice fat paycheck for your time off, get better so we don't have to waste our only IR spot or 53-man slot on a guy who won't play, anyway.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I'm hoping he's the guy. I'm just saying we don't know if he is seen that way by Trestman. Maybe.
  12. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Whats the numbers ? Isnt it like since 1992 no team has started more QB's then THE CHICAGO BEARS ?
    I would love to see what Trestman drafts as a QB ... a project that lasts a decade.
    Freeman and Sanchez seem to be self destructing after a good start of their careers.
    With both of them you go ... hey ... these guys are going to be good ... but somthing happened somwhere.
  13. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Trestman made Rich Gannon good that tells me Blanchard would do just fine with Trest. When you have coach like Trest your QB options are limitless. I bet he could have made Bob Avellini and Bobby Douglas great QB's.
  14. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    We can IR anyone we want. We can only choose to bring one guy back, and it certainly wasn't Blanchard.

When he's healthy, maybe he'll see the practice squad in week 10 for the rest of the year. If the season is definitively over because of catastrophe is the only way he's making the active roster this year.

Sanchez sucks. He has no heart. If he'd grow a pair of balls and not wilt under pressure he could have a career in the NFL.

Freeman's got game. Bad coaching down in Tampa right now. But if he signs here for backup QB detail if Cutler gets a contract from the Bears I'd be shocked.
  15. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +274 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Didn't think it needed clarification, but let me do it now by saying our one revocable IR spot.

I just talked to Arnold, though, and he assured me of Blanchard's spot on the 53-man roster by saying - "He'll be back."
  16. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You wrote this about Freeman, but I could see that applying to any of the ex starters... Any of them would indicate to me the end of Cutler's era. Even if they never started for the Bears. I don't study trades or contracts in depth but going that route to me would seem like you'd need the former team to pitch in on the existing contract and throw you draft picks to prospect for that franchise QB (in trade).

Letting Cutler walk without something in place just shouldn't happen, which is why he'll get overpaid. I'm going to miss those big names on D, and it isn't like I can hold back the sands of time on that either. I should be happy about it because there just aren't QBs like him around, but I'm not. I'm just not his #1 fan even with good Jay trending up.

I like Matt Blanchard, for a undrafted camp arm he has come a long ways. That in of itself is special, and there is something they see there to keep him around. My hope is that Matt or some drafted prospect down the line usurps the throne. With the $ spent on QBs around the league, not much would make me happier as a fan then seeing a fresh new face to lead on towards victory and knowing you got him locked into a contract early.

One of those few thing, however, is winning. And well Jay's doing good so far in that department!
  17. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Cutler's not walking away easily from the Bears with Brandon Marshall here, an offensive line in place that is actually keeping him clean, and an OC that he gets along with. If things break down between Cutler and Trestman, then you'd see the Bears move on. I don't think another team would pursue Cutler so much to overpay him that he'd move on from us.

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying. We aren't giving up picks for Freeman or Sanchez. I thought you were thinking they would get cut after this year. What I was refering to was signing any of the ex-starters with Cutler signing a big contract would signal an end to that ex-starter's desire to be a starter. Kind of like when Orton went to the Cowboys to back up Romo. That was the white flag from Orton to just get paid as a journeyman QB to come in and not look too awful.

I do not look at Matt Blanchard and think, "Now there's a guy that could be better than Cutler." I don't. He's just a guy. Kind of like Hanie was just a guy. There's nothing special about his arm or size or decision-making or pedigree of school. He wasn't drafted for a reason. There are so many resources committed to the development of a quarterback that I think it's a huge waste to just pick a guy out of the crowd and hope he succeeds because he's not Jay Cutler. Cutler's got more talent and ability on his worst day than Blanchard does at his best.
  18. Rogelio

Rogelio Rookie

Ratings:
    +78 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't think Freeman "can't play" necessarily. I haven't seen enough of him. I think Sanchez is ruined at this point, though. Freeman might be able to salvage a career elsewhere. I think the big thing is that you can't really carry high-priced backup QBs in this era. The Bears are close to the salary cap as is. They can't afford to pay millions to a guy they hope never sees the field.

The Bears need to draft a QB in the worst way, and I am certain they will this year. But wouldn't at this point go as far as saying they had to take one in the early rounds. They are surely some QBs with amazing talents (Cutler, Vick, Kap, Rodgers) and some with amazing minds for the game (Manning, Brady), and those guys almost always go early in the dracft. But a large part of being a successful QB is about being in the right place with the right coaching in the early years of your career. There is not really anything special physically about Russell Wilson, and he isn't a "technician", but he might be a really good QB since he's in the right situation. If he was drafted by the Jaguars, he would have 4 TDs, 15 INT and at least one concussion on his career, and they would already be deciding which QB to take with the first overall pick next year.

The Bears need to find their QB in the draft, and he doesn't have to have a cannon arm or be able to dissect defense like a chess game. Take a QB in the 2nd, 3rd, 5th round, whatever. Let him grow into the position. But they need to get get the right guy. Maybe he sits on the bench for four seasons and played a little mop-up, or maybe he becomes so good that they are trading Cutler two years from now. Either way, they need to bring in a young, inexpensive kid and bring him up right.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß

That's a great post, and exactly how I feel about the QB situation.
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!