Freeman and Sanchez. Who? Where?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by A-11, Sep 26, 2013.

1. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +331 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    I thought Matt Blanchard would be healed enough to start working out abotu Week 4 of the season. He may be ready around the bye week.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Stahp the madness. Trestman has never turned a bust into a good player, and Mark Sanchez is the bust of this generation. There's absolutely no turning him around, and he's not worth having as a 3rd stringer. Freeman might be salvageable, seeing how he had a decent year, albeit against mostly soft defenses. His problem is his "gunslinger" mentality, which is Trestman's forte, at least with fixing Cutler's problems. But, with all the contracts that are due at the end of the year, and the fact that we're gonna have to let SOMEBODY go, in all likelihood, there's no reason to pay for him, unless he's willing to go 3rd string.

I've been looking back at the drafts of late, and there's very few qb's with decent play taken out of the 3rd round or later (Mallett, Kirk Cousins), but, given that those two already have shown that they're busts, WHY would you pay for a player you HOPE can be fixed (Cutler was always a decent to good QB, so the turnaround ((assuming he plays like this all year)) by Trestman wasn't exactly a Herculean task), when you can get a significantly cheaper player, who is at worst, a more "unknown"? Also, the love here for Blanchard is a bit unfounded. Yeah, he "could've been the 2nd stringer, had he not gotten injured", but we don't really know that, because he got injured pretty early in the preseason. Either way, McCown is horrible, and being slightly less horrible is what it would take to depose him as the 2nd stringer.

Basically, NO ****** Free Agents, no McCown. Blanchard might not even come back to the team, and even if he does, we need to invest a higher draft pick (3-5, depending on the talent), rather than kick the tires at a junkyard.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Just wondering why we care about who Trestman's backup project is? I don't care if we have a project. Green Bay doesn't. They have Seneca Wallace backing up Rodgers. They had a project in Harrall last year who almost managed to lose them their game vs New Orleans and have since cut him.

We aren't in the reclamation business of fixing other teams' broken QBs. No one will come trading for a Bears developed QB, at least not in the near future. I think that's the idea posters have about bringing back Blanchard. That Trestman will spin hay into gold and make Blanchard into someone that some other team will actually give the Bears a pick for him. That's a pipe dream. Chances are, we will just spend time and resources to make him into the next Hanie. He'll go on his way when we cut him because he could not win a game when we needed him to.

Right now, the focus should be and is on making Cutler a better QB. That he figures out Trestman's scheme, and that Trestman is comfortable with him moving forward.
  4. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    This draft class has a lot of talent depth at the QB position, and you could likely get a good project in rounds 3-5. Having a project for someone like Trestman does two things. It gives you a quality backup that has "grown up" with Trestman in his system. It also gives you a good trading piece, as QBs who are perceived to be up-and-comers by other teams are quite often overpaid for.
  5. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Its a SUPER DEEP DRAFT for QBs. Which is why we have no worries if Cutler plays like the turd he is. The Bears have so many options in this QB draft and they need to focus on an SEC QB from a winning program.
  6. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    As long as it's not Florida. Florida QBs never amount to anything. I thought that Emery should have taken a late round flyer this year on Bray. Loads of talent, just needs to grow up.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    Ric,

We dont what is going on yet.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,004ß
    McCown is awful, no doubt Blanchard could have been less awful, but he got hurt so no looking back, it's not like Blanchard had a huge upside anyways, being less shitty then McCown isn't a positive it's just less of a negative.

the dirty Sanchez and Josh Free-agent-man, are not viable backups, they aren't good but broken qb's and would be more expensive to boot. Grab a early to mid round qb that needs development, IF the Bears resign Cutler, if not grab one in the 1st or 2nd round to be the guy.

It's way to early to tell if this years draft class is any good, but you are starting to see that the rookies and young kids can handle THIS NFL where the rules are so pro qb and wr; it's as easy as ever to play QB and young talented qb's don't need 2-3 years of seasoning anymore. The main thing is just finding the right qb to run your system, OR having a hc/oc that can build the right system around the qb they choose.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    Im wondering what Emery and Trestman are thinking ...
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    I was going to name another season since 2000, where a starter missed significant game time for an injury, but I actually couldn't come up with one where that didn't happen. 2009? It doesn't matter, because that has been the rule, and non-injury the exception to this team over the past 14 seasons. Just because Jay is playing outstanding doesn't mean he couldn't lose significant time as the starter. That's a fact of life as a Bears fan, and why would we want the guy who may have to fill in for an injured Jay be some retread like Josh McCown?

EDIT: They strongly implied on Fox earlier, that the Bucs have some damaging stuff on Freeman.
  11. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Because the retread is easier to deal with because he already knows how to play in the NFL and the unknown project doesn't know how to play. How much time and effort is being spent on "developing" Josh McCown? Zero. Because right now it is imperitive to find out what Cutler can do. This is a huge multi million dollar decision the front office has to make. Why complicate that by also giving the coaching staff a kid who doesn't know how to play the task of teaching that kid how to play? If Jay goes down, McCown will go out there and play just as well or better as some no name kid with zero experience.

It's like hiring someone to build a house, and then also making them rebuild your car while they are at it. Trestman his plate just trying to get wins on the table and the game plan implemented. They should not have to also worry about if the backup QB knows enough of the gameplan to be trusted out there.
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß

Nice analogy, but the statistics are against using a retread in today's NFL. Hell, Josh Campbell got passed over for the 3rd stringer, and I'm sure McCown would've had the same. The draft is where we need to get a backup. College is producing more polished players at QB than ever, and this upcoming one's supposed to be somewhat deep at the position.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    This draft may be deep at QB, but we could really use some help on the defensive side of the ball.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,004ß
    Yep, people that claim retreads are the way to go aren't watching todays nfl.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,567 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    781ß

I don't think either one of those guys jumps to conclusions. I am sure it was disappointing, but not sure either is ready to trash Jay yet. If this keeps up, then that is a different story. The real question is what do they do if he beats most teams, but continues to fold like a cheap tent under real pressure. We get into the playoffs and then lose? Will they consider him good enough to keep trying to fix, or do they cut bait?
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,004ß
    I wonder what they are thinking after todays stinker? Still think McCown is a good backup and there shouldn't be a gameplan for life after Cutler; that still look like a good idea?
  17. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    How was today's loss in any way related to McCown? Was he not backing up Cutler enough to enable him to not throw bad passes under pressure? If only Blanchard were here as the 2nd string, we could've put him in and we'd have won!

I think the Bears need to see what life with Cutler is like before they just start going off in all directions for anyone who is not Cutler. Jesus, they played an away game in a dome against a really good pass rush and our D is not generating anything resembling a pass rush to help. The O as a whole had a bad day, and yeah Jay lost his composure and threw some bad passes. We lost one game, and here you are asking "Well, I guess it's time to trot out anyone else that is not named Jay, or old like McCown. New is always better!"

Look, I'm sorry you put all your hope into a kid that isn't being pursued by anyone after his injury settlement. But Jay is the present right now. I don't care what the future is going to hold until I am sure it ain't Jay.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,004ß
    B/c McCown is not a long or short term answer in the least, that's how.

Cutler isn't going to have 3+ more games like this, it's going to depend on who those next 2-3 games come against. I full well see Cutler getting extended, but they need a legit backup from here on out.

What you think this is about Blanchard? It was never about Blanchard, it was about how gawd awful McCown is, I'm sorry you think McCown is anything more then sad desperation for a team that couldn't trade back to get more picks to get a real qb to back up the starter.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    You are the one that brought up the backup QB situation.

I brought up Blanchard because he was your guy. He was the one you thought should have been the #2 QB. I mentioned him because this game and this loss had nothing to do with who the backup QB was, yet here you are making a case against McCown again in your quote above. Would Blanchard have been able to stem this loss as the #2 QB? No, he wouldn't have.

This Cutler situation can play out one of two ways. If Trestman decides to roll with Cutler for a long term deal, then I do not give a rat's ass who our backup QB is. If they decide that Jay is not the future, then I want them to get the best QB they can that fits Trestman's system in the 2014 draft with our first round pick and possibly trading up. There is no option, to me, of, "Well, maybe if we kept some nobody QB from Nowheresville, he could've be the 2014 starter by being the backup in 2013." And I certainly don't care if we take a 4th round QB next year to develop behind Cutler just because it's another self proclaimed "Year of the QB" by the college scouts. I don't care if they keep McCown or get another vet either.

McCown is exactly what I think he is, a minimum salary veteran QB with starting experience and a rapport with Cutler that we are not spending one ounce of effort on because the focus of the coaching staff is entirely on Cutler. Shit, McCown is helping teach Cutler this system. I figure it's that relationship with Cutler is why he's here. But the coaching staff liked him enough to stick with the guy over other alternatives, so who are we to judge unless you think Trestman and Emery are doing a bad job so far this year.

I don't know who you thought the Bears could have gotten by trading back "to get more picks to get a real qb" that would be doing a better job of holding a clipboard on the sidelines than McCown is.
  20. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The concern about Cutler is just how inept he was in that 2nd quarter when the game was decided. Blame the defense all you want but Cutler put them in a HUGE HOLE with his 3 and outs and pick. He buried the Bears in that 2nd quarter, then he decides he wants to play in the last 7 minutes of the 4th.
    • Like Like x 1