Fuller Earning Vets Respect Daily..............

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 14, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Kyle Fuller’s fine play overshadowed by training-camp tussle

BY ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter August 12, 2014 9:02PM

Bears beat writers Adam Jahns and Patrick...
    Chicago Sun-Times

Bears beat writers Adam Jahns and Patrick Finley talk about the team's final practice of training camp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Updated: August 13, 2014 2:20AM

BOURBONNAIS — The hoots and hollers became louder and more distinct with every incompletion, tipped pass and overthrown ball in rookie cornerback Kyle Fuller’s direction.

The defensive veterans — namely linebacker Lance Briggs with his unmistakable high-pitched howl — made sure to play up Fuller’s prowess.

“There’s that intimidation factor,” they’d say.

“Oh, intimidation factor, whoo,’’ they’d shout.

The vocal support has come after Fuller’s run-in with tight end Martellus Bennett, which ended with Bennett’s suspension but started with Fuller’s one-handed takedown.

It’s playful rookie razzing, but it wouldn’t happen if Fuller were struggling. His success has helped make the Bears’ defense a happy bunch again.

“It’s saying me being there kind of affects them in catching the ball,” a laughing Fuller said Tuesday after the Bears’ last practice in Bourbonnais. “That goes back to just the good group that we have here, making me feel comfortable and encouraging me every day. The guys are helping me make plays.”

It’s unfortunate, but Fuller’s role in Bennett’s suspension has overshadowed a strong first training camp.

With Tim Jennings limited by a quadriceps injury, Fuller spent all of camp with the Bears’ first-team defense. Fuller has had problems against Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery — who doesn’t? — but he also has fared well, considering the quarterbacks are off-limits.

“He’s going to be a star in this league,” Jeffery said. “He makes a lot of plays. He’s a tough competitor. He likes to compete. It’s just something he was born to do. He’s a great cornerback.”

Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker highlighted Fuller’s tackling as a positive in the exhibition opener against the Philadelphia Eagles. But Fuller isn’t the second coming of Charles Tillman just yet.

Secondary coach Jon Hoke said Fuller had some expected rough spots against the Eagles and that his technique still requires fine-tuning.

“He’s been here just a few weeks, and we have our ways to do it,” Hoke said. “It’s always going to be a work in progress until it becomes a habit for him.”

Against the Eagles, Fuller was on the field for 35 plays, only four shy for most on the team. He could be looking at a similar amount Thursday against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

“That’s the only way you’re going to get better,” said Fuller, who was credited with three individual tackles against the Eagles. “It doesn’t matter who I’m facing. It’s just a matter of being consistent.”

But it undoubtedly helps that he gets to face Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett in practice. There’s a level of respect. Bennett made it a point to shake Fuller’s hand after their tussle. Marshall, meanwhile, has called Fuller over to face him in one-on-one drills during camp.

What has Fuller gained from those matchups?

“Just confidence,” Hoke said. “Nothing ever seems to faze him. He’s fine. Just for him, it’s competition every day, and he’s got great guys to work against.”

Fuller’s composure has resonated with his teammates and coaches. It even earned him compliments from quarterback Jay Cutler.

“He’s mature beyond his years,” Cutler said.

“[Fuller] has a very good mental disposition toward competing at that position,” Tucker said. “He doesn’t get too high, and he doesn’t get too low. Those are good traits to have at corner.”

So is his ability to stick to Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett.

And Fuller has earned the trust and support of the Bears’ defensive veterans, whether it’s Tillman offering advice on the sideline or Briggs yelling out “intimidation factor.”

“[Camp] has gone well,” Fuller said. “It was a good experience. I’ve been able to get better every day. I’m just looking forward to keeping that going into the season.”

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com
    Twitter: @adamjahns
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I think Cutler summed it up best with his comment that Fuller is mature beyond his years. I get somewhat that same feeling just by looking at him. He's a got the kind of poise and peacefulness about him that comes for having and "old soul". Like someone whose been here before many, many times.

When I watch the kid play I see him doing things and making plays you don't ordinarily see out of a rookie. He's a very smart player and he's only gonna get better as time goes by. he wasn't first choice for a first draft pick but I sure as hell glad he was Phil Emery's.
  3. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Kyle Fuller is a hell of a player it seems, I definitely have high hopes for him. I'm not saying that he's going to be this good, few ever are, but another corner drafted at #14 was Revis. So it's not unheard of to get a game changing corner where we snagged him. I'm excited to see how the season unfolds. Should be good.
  4. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    97ß
    The thing that jumps out at me with Fuller is how he plays the trail on receivers and then when you think he is beaten, he just closes up the gap. He did this a lot in college, and it just seems almost like he is baiting the QB to make the throw. He is probably the most well-rounded corner I have seen come out of the draft in quite a while, and I love his physicality at the CB position. Really reminds me a lot of Peanut.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    They may just keep him at LCB and keep Jennings in the slot is the NB. He seems to be adapting faster than expected.
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +712 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    427ß
    I think they figured out the key to picking good 1st round pick they must have starting name of 'Kyle.'
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +391 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    528ß
    Mayock's fav CB coming out of the draft . None of them are ever 100% correct , but it's his evaluations that I trust the most . Now just stay healthy and challenge Carrier's rookie record for INT's big guy .