Game 1 Grades

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,002 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    209ß
    Tillman: A 2 Ints, and some nice stops against a VERY good WR (Green). Would be an A+ if he stopped him, but stellar performance none-the-less

Cutler: A- Ran the offense effectively, made smart throws, but knocked down a peg for that Interception

Martellus Bennett: B+ Outstanding in the receiving game, but those two holding penalties dropped his grade, needs to fix it.

Brandon Marshall: A Outstanding performance, in sync with Jay.

Matt Forte: B Made plays when he could, but couldnt find the holes, too many runs for no gain. But, still solid performance.

Alshon Jeffrey: B Made catches, no mistakes, didnt get injured!!!

Gould: A Record setting FG, good as Gould. Best in the business.

Bears OL: B- Did a good job protecting Cutler, but had some issues opening up holes for Forte. Expect this to improve as the season goes on. Outstanding performance by Mills and Long in their first game.

Bears Defense: C+ Gave up WAY too many yards, too many 3rd down conversions, couldnt shut down Green or Dalton. But...finally had some fire in the 4th quarter when it mattered most. If the D can play like the 4th Quarter D all season, this grade will improve. If they play like 1st Half D, then its going to drop like a rock. Tucker has his work cut out for him.

Trestman: B+ Had some problems with the run calls, but overall, appeared to have adapted his playcalls, and Bears had successful drives. Overall, great start to what hopefully is a great season.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Totally agree Jimmors
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,474 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    Don't agree w/any of that, except:

Cutler B+ that int was horrid, it knocked him from A to B material
    Bennett C, he also dropped an easy pass
    Bears D: B, this entire bears D is predicated on giving up yards but not points. And AJ Green is one of the most difficult WR's to stop, it's hard to blame them b/c he had a great game. Dalton is hardly a slouch either. They got 3 TO's that created 14points for the Bears O, which was more then 50% of the points the O scored. Hard to give them a average grade for that.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    dont forget jennings!​
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    Offensive line surprisingly good. It's so nice to see Cutler not running for his life. Really like our rookies.
    Good job by Marshall and Jeffery.

Tillman once again showed us why he belongs in the HoF. Most underrated CB in the league. Good job, Peanut!

James Anderson was good. If I was Trestman I'd start Bostic over Williams next week. Cutler had a horrible first half, really good second half. INT was on him, but who cares. Bears win, bitches!!
  6. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Cutler: B Showed improvement over last year but still needs to grow/gain confidence in his team.

Martellus Bennett: C Penalties loose games, I would have given him a D except for some of his catches.

Bears OL: B- Agree, great job and more to come this season.

Bears Defense: C+ Please learn to tackle effectively. Need more aggressive stunts to confuse excellent O-lines like Cincy.

Trestman: B Did a good job of managing the game. Cincy played better but inconsistency and penalties lost if for them
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree with everything expect for Bennett. I'd give him a C- because of the penalties.
  8. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,002 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    209ß
    Cutler...i thought about it, and honestly, that INT was the ONLY bad decision he made all game. impressive.
    Bennett...tough one, but except for the holding calls (which is easily fixed), he did a great job.
    Defense: first half: F-, 4th Quarter, A-...so i split the difference. I have no idea which D is the real D. Have to tune in next week folks, to find out.
  9. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +790 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    231ß
    The OL should get a C.

For the passing game they did ok. Cutler was still rushed and hit too many times.

The run game was terrible. No holes, and we ran for 2-3 yards at our best.

OL needs some work still.
  10. Jimmors

Ratings:
    +4,002 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    209ß
    I dont think he was rushed, it looked like Trestman was simply calling quick passes a lot. And i didnt see him get hit all that much. Plus he was never sacked. And considering that the Bengals have a great Defense? I think they played outstanding in pass protection, leagues better than a Lovie OL. But, knocked em down because of those issues with the run game.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,474 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    ESPN Had I think 2 or 3 hits/pressures on Cutler all day, against that DL that is an impressive feat.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    In Cutlers defense (just doing a bit of devils advocate) he was in the process of being sacked when he threw the ball. Watch the replay, a Bengals defense man had fingers inside Jays' pads. That being said, I think that Jay should have thrown the ball away instead, so there is a decision making smack there. That being said, Jay may have merely been trusting his O-line. Either way, it was his ONLY bad decision all day.

Also, Jay executed a game plan that required quick throws for nearly the entire game. Both teams did that in my opinion.

As for the O-line? Well, I think it still needs work, but Jay didn't make them look any worse today. Also, while there were not as many good holes, and the runs were generally shorter than I would have liked, they did pound that ball into the end zone. So, I would give the O-line at least a C+ or B-. They are better than last year.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    Something that annoys me: TE's kill our defense, without fail.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,474 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    Most over the middle plays kill our D.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Grades for the woodshed:

D - F @ tackling. Too much trying for the strip, arm tackling

DL - D @ pressure/penetration. Big reason why Cincy was having fun like kids with our secondary. Where was Jules all day?

Bennett - B- for silly holds. Catches made up for it but it's what's going to bury us sooner or later. Fix it...now.

OL - C for the run game. Expected against a good DL but still a worthy of a paddling. Gotta build on this.

Tucker - C+ overall. Hard to say how much was players out of position/executing & how much were Tucker adjustments or the lack there of but it was scary out there.
  16. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    & why we'll all be drinking heavier this season without a young #54 out there...
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    Well, at least the defense has ONE JOB next week. ONE. Not 3 like we did today (stop AJ, Dalton and Grisham). Just stop AP. That's it. LET Ponder try to beat us with the passing game.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +790 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    231ß
    Remember Cutler is hard to sack. He gets rid of the ball (forces it).

I'm saying he got hit more than he should. I'm not sure what warrants a "rushed throw" but I was him rushed a half dozen times..

I still stand by my "C".. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That's what happens when you play cover 2 and get absolutely no pass rush. The holes keep getting bigger and bigger in the secondary. We seemed to change in up more in the 2nd half and it made a big difference. I thought Cutler did a good job taking what the defense was giving him in the 1st half. In the 2nd half guys were getting open & Cutler was hitting them. I don't think the pick was a bad read as you could see M. Bennett was breaking free downfield but Cutler got twisted a bit as he threw it causing the pass to go downward and fall well short. I the OL played great. This was a very good front 7 we played against today.
    I thought the difference in the game , other than TOs were the halftime adjustments made by our coaching staff. No way we when this game with previous coaching regime. JHMO

Cutler-A to B+
    OL- A
    WR- B
    RB- B
    DL- C
    DBs- B-
    LB- B- to C+
    Coaching Staff- A
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  20. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Agree the run game was terrible, but I thought they did a decent job at pass protection. I gave them a B- because the right side were rookies and did better than I expected.