Game 1 Grades

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Sep 8, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 0 / -0
    This ^^^^^

The OL will build on this. Great beginning when you consider this is 4 new starters and Garza. And two are green rookies. One is basically a college baseball player thrown in as a day-one starter for the Chicago Bears in their season opener.

If you had told me 6 months ago that the Bears would attempt this against one of the best Dlines in the NFL I would have figured Cutlers body would be at a funeral home about now.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,940 / 8 / -2
    Okay, we're all in agreement that line kinda stunk, right? Now, is it just a coincidence, or did it seem that the Bears D started "coming together" when Paea stepped up? Granted, we would've lost the game had Tillman not had his INTs, BUT, the defense didn't come together until Paea started wrecking havoc. I'm not too worried about the line atm, but he deserves a shout out.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. milehibearsfan

milehibearsfan

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    All I'm sayn' is 1 SACK! and 1 TURNOVER! Barring potential injuries, it looks like it's going to be a fun season. WHEW!!
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 0 / -0
    Two more thoughts, when I think about assigning grades today. I think you "grade on the curve" by factoring in that this is the 1st game of the season, and we have new coaches and key players. I'd grade a whole lot differently 8 games into the season. But for a first effort, I figure they're still "figuring it all out" and that includes the DLine today. I'm not one bit worried about the DL. I believe it will be one of our "strengths" but for now, it's a "work in progress" and that's OK.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BearsWin

BearsWin

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I agree with most comments, except for the o-line, no sacks and only a few pressures against a VERY good d-line. Also, first game together. I know the running game was not good, but again, very good d-line. I hope this is their worst game of the season. If so, we will have a great season!
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -0
    Win the game A++

Win without looking ugly A++

Run offense that looks like a real NFL team A++

Peanut my man made it look good he daman...
    fix some stuff and do it again next week...
    • Like Like x 3
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    ya this is the first time in a long time I really have no serious issues w/how the team won in a big game, and if they had lost i'm not sure i'd have any serious issues with it either.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. dabears70

dabears70

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for setting those grades straight because they're pretty far off.
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -0
    I agree, we won looking good and if we lost we still looked good. We need some things fixed either way.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Akuma2000

Akuma2000

Ratings:
    +132 / 0 / -0
    I give the Bears a grade of B...............for the most part it was a good game even with Cutler's 1 int (not his fault), the play calling was balanced and the defense forced turnovers.......only thing that needs to improve on the defense is pressure on the qb (this will improve as the season goes on).
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    from the espn

Report Card: Bears-Bengals
    September, 8, 2013
    SEP 8
    6:40
    PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com
    Week 1 Report Card: Chicago Bears 24, Cincinnati Bengals 21
    [​IMG]
    C-
    RUSHING OFFENSE
    Rushing yards were tough to come by against the talented Bengals front seven. Matt Forte averaged only 2.6 yards per carry (19 attempts, 50 yards), while Michael Bush carried the ball at just 2.5 yards per clip on six handoffs. Jay Cutler seemed to have the most success scrambling out of the pocket late in the game, although the Bears did convert a key fourth-down run at the critical juncture in the second half.

[​IMG]
    B+
    PASSING OFFENSE
    With the exception of one interception, Cutler appeared to have command of the passing attack, completing 21 of 33 passes for 242 yards and a pair of touchdown strikes, plus the INT. No surprise, Brandon Marshall was again the Bears focal point through the air, catching eight balls for 104 yards and a score. But Cutler also spread the ball around to Martellus Bennett, Alshon Jeffery, Earl Bennett and Forte. The fact Cutler wasnt sacked a single time also contributed to the successful passing offense.

[​IMG]
    A-
    RUSHING DEFENSE
    The Bengals ran the ball just 21 total times but the Bears surrendered next to nothing on the ground outside of a BenJarvus Green-Ellis five-yard touchdown. The longest run of the day for Cincinnati came on a 14-yard end around to Marvin Jones. The Bears linebackers filled their gaps nicely.Lance Briggs played like the Pro Bowler he is versus the run, and middle linebacker D.J. Williams showed little rust after missing the entire preseason due to a calf injury. Strong side linebacker James Anderson was also solid.

[​IMG]
    D
    PASSING DEFENSE
    A.J. Green took what he wanted against a dehydrated Charles Tillman, torching the Bears secondary for nine catches for 162 yards and one touchdown. Green also drew a pass interference penalty that gave Cincinnati the ball inside the Bears 5-yard line. Green was dominant. The only saving grace for the Bears is that Tillman intercepted two passes and Tim Jennings forced and recovered a fumble. Otherwise, the pass defense was non-existent for much of the afternoon. So was the pass rush against Andy Dalton. That didnt help matters.

[​IMG]
    B+
    SPECIAL TEAMS
    Robbie Gould gave the Bears a lift going into halftime when he nailed afranchise record 58-yard field goal. Gould also put all five of his kickoffs into the back of the end zone and the coverage units limited Adam Jones to a single 13-yard punt return. Adam Podlesh punted well for the Bears andDevin Hester ran back a kickoff 31 yards. The Bears were unable to get anything going on punt return.

[​IMG]
    A-
    COACHING
    Head coach Marc Trestman made a gutsy call to go for it on fourth down in his NFL debut and it turned out to be the right call. The Bears also did an excellent job helping up front against the Bengals highly paid defensive line and the overall offensive attack had balance (33 passes, 28 rushing attempts). The Bears were slow to adjust on Green but eventually managed to apply some defensive pressure late in the game. Trestman looked like Vince Lombardi compared to Marvin Lewis. If we were grading the Bengals coaching staff, they would get an F.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,795 / 5 / -4
    from comcast:
    http://www.csnchicago.com/topic/bears-grades

JOHN 'MOON' MULLIN'S BEARS GRADES
    Bears grades: Secondary, B
    29m
    JOHN MULLIN
    A difficult group to evaluate, with big plays allowed but also two interceptions and two forced fumbles, one recovered.

READ MORE >
    Bears grades: Coaching, A-
    1h
    JOHN MULLIN
    His players thought enough of Marc Trestman’s first game as an NFL head coach to award him the game ball. Well deserved.

READ MORE >
    Bears grades: Offensive line, A
    1h
    JOHN MULLIN
    The focus was on rookies Kyle Long at right guard and Jordan Mills at right tackle but they were part of an overall strong effort against one of the better front-seven units in the NFL.

READ MORE >
    Bears grades: Running backs, B
    1h
    JOHN MULLIN
    Matt Forte managed a serviceable 50 rushing yards for the day on 19 carries, including a touchdown. But it was the quality of his running as much as his quantity that was key.

READ MORE >
    Bears grades: Receivers, A-
    2h
    JOHN MULLIN
    Brandon Marshall caught the game-winning touchdown in the fourth quarter, getting separation from single coverage from a safety. “I didn’t understand it,” Marshall said.

Bears grades: Quarterbacks, A-
    2h
    JOHN MULLIN
    Jay Cutler has had bigger games –- 21-for-33 passing, 242 yards, 1 touchdown, 1 interception, 93.2 rating –- but few as impressive or important.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +818 / 1 / -0
    Some of you guys are being awfully critical. There's plenty to fairly judge of course but just a few days ago....

....a lot of of us we scared silly the OL would melt down and get Cutler killed against one of the best DLs in football. Didn't happen. The rooks held their own and that's impressive. The run blocking needs some work but I would have never predicted ZERO SACKS.

....there was a lot of bitching about "not beating good teams". Guess what, we just beat a 2-straight playoff team that is easily the class of its division (yes, better than the 2013 Ravens). BIG BIG WIN.

....we are now up a game on the Packers and they play Washington and then Cincy (in Cincy) the next two. We have Minnesota and then Pittsburgh. Advantage: Bears

It was a very good day all in all.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. BearJim

BearJim SuperFan

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    MP it was a great day. I wasn't sure what to expect today which made the result all the better. The best part of it is better days should lie ahead. Now lets go beat the Vikes!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Ratings:
    +465 / 2 / -3
    Peppers was totally shutout, No tackles, no assists,no sacks. What's his grade?

A.J.Green gets an A+ He carried them.
  16. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    The Rushing offense did so something that has been difficult in past years. Got enough push in short yardage situations to get the ball into the end zone successfully.

The thing that struck me the most about this game is the way I could FEEL the Bears offense fighting their way back into the game during the second half.

Another thing that I liked was taking the opportunity to kick the FG late in the half, leaving only a small amount of time (11 seconds?) on the clock for the Bengals. Winning teams take advantage of opportunities like that one, Last year the Bears did not.
  17. A-11

A-11

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    I probably wrong, as well, but here are some of my random thoughts:

---- Cutler made more mistakes than just one interception (that some say wasn't his fault). There was a time out in the first half that was used I would have thought could have been audibled out of. He also over threw Forte and had some off passes. On one of the plays where Jay was pressured he ran out of the pocket to the right and he put himself into the pass rush. If he would have stepped up into the pocket he would have been fine. I thought Cutler played well but it wasn't perfect. Hard to tell as a fan where the execution on these things fail because I don't know what everyone is supposed to do.

---- I thought Alshon did very well.

---- Martellus Bennett held way too much.

---- I am excited for Long and Mills going forward.

---- Interested and would like to take watch again to see about Peppers. Not worried ATM, but curiosity has gotten to me and I want to know if it was just an off day, or if the Bengals did some major game planning.

Edit: grrr, not the first time I've got them mixed but the holding calls were on #83 NOT #80.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    Agree that jay did make more than one mistake, my fault. Jay did look a lot better than last year though.

Regarding the Bennett and Bennett confusion, I have been thinking of them as E.Ben(80) and M.Ben(83). Seems to help me, maybe it will work for you.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,270 / 3 / -6
    they should have an E or M on their jersey
  20. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,320 / 8 / -0
    Or something like different numbers to differentiate between them. Oh, wait.
    • Like Like x 4