Game 1 Grades

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Sep 8, 2013.

1. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Incomplete?
  2. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I thought his worst pass was on AJ's one handed reach back catch. That pass was headed straight to a Bengal LB & Jeffery made a great play!
  3. Zac

Zac Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Good post and I agree with those rankings. The defense's inability to get off the field in third and long situations was troublesome. Either there wasn't any pressure or our corners were playing 10 yards off the line and yielding way too much room. Thankfully we got the turnovers and that's what really allowed us to win the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Zac

Zac Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Cutler's read progressions were also occasionally off and I really question his field vision much of the time. Several times I saw him lock onto receivers and fail to survey the field despite (largely) a lack of pressure. The one thing I was really hoping for was Trestman getting into Cutler's head and helping Jay to display more pocket poise. Obviously Jay is willing to stand in the pocket, but the presence to step up in the pocket instead of rolling into the pressure, making proper read progressions, and displaying more solid fundamentals were things I was really hoping to see. They weren't there.

I know it's only one game but it leads me to believe Cutler doesn't acknowledge his flaws and does even less to correct them. Jay has all the talent in the world but his arrogance, lack of humility, and lack of (attempt at) improvement makes me question if he's worth a lengthy extension. The problem is if we don't who are we going to pick up in FA or get with a 20th + pick that's going to be any better? I feel like we're kind of screwed.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    AGREEEEED Pretty much spot on
  6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +227 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    617ß
    Lets think about this for a minute ... ok the minute is up.

LAST YEAR ... we were talking about how the OL SUCKED.

How great the DL RULED.

THIS SEASON after one game we are talking about the OL being pretty decent and the DL ...

should step it up ... after one game.

Its GOOD to have this kind of discussion.

Anybody wanna give me odds when the whole TEAM GELS ?

Week 4? 5? 6? 7? 8? 9?

Bring on Minnie ... lets see.
  7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +227 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    617ß
    GRADE A+ WE WON !
  8. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That is more of a pass/fail grade. We passed but A+ is impossible unless you give a free pass at the Super Bowl or something...

Besides who wants perfect? I want to see people striving for perfection not obtain it. Gives me something to bitc talk about.

I thought the game was a good starting point. My grade would be a C- and I wouldn't put it on a curve just because several other teams had a bad start. To be honest with ya, I the Bengals should have won. They left things on the table after the whistle.
  9. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,190ß
    I have been a Bears fan since 1963, and I think Jay is the best QB we've had since then. Don't count on first-round draft pick for our next QB, Remember Grossman and McNown?
    We all know Cutler's flaws, but he has talent and he's tough as nails competitive guy. Not many QB's have the arm to throw that pass to Marshall that won the game. So, go ahead and criticize, but also give him his due.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,152 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,560ß
    Who wants perfection? I would love to see the Bears go 19-0, not giving up a yard, giving up a point,stalling on a drive or giving the ball away.

Sure, it would be a boring ass season, but are you telling me you would not love every second of it?
  11. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You got me. Yes, 19-0 is fine with me.
    I do enjoy the drama, and complacency drives me nuts. So if the Bears go 19-0 I'd prefer some Ditka ass kickin' to go with it, not just a bunch of ho hum pars with a few birdie putts thrown in...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Geno Atkins was shutout just the same.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,590 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,788ß
    Akuma, thanks for pointing that out b/c I don't think people fully understand just how good both OL's and QB's played to prevent any kind of legit qb pressures.

It wasn't just how great the OL played, both qb's made a lot of 3 step blocks and got the ball out quickly. Cincy ran 2 TE sets something like 30% of the time, the Bears kept TE's and RB's in during obvious blitz packages. Neither side got to the QB Sunday, and Cincy might have the best front 7 in the game right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    No problem......but your right, both teams kept using TE and RB sets to neultralize the other's pass rush and pressure. I'm just glad we have trestman as a coach because if lovie was still here there wouldn't have been any type of game planning with Tice and Cutler's poor body would be demolished by Atkins before the 2nd qtr, thank god they're gone.....lol
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DavidL

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,190ß
    Stop making excuses. Coach himself complained about lack of a pass rush. It wasn;t all quick release. On several plays, including the Green TD, QB had time to do pump fake and receiver had time to do a double move route. No pressure. As coach said, you cant cover without pressure. If we dont get a better pass rush, this is going to be a problem all year. Wooten didn't do anything all day, either. That's why I want to see Cornelius Washington get some playing time. Also, the Bear safeties need to give Tillman and Jennings help on long passes. When AJ Green is catching a long bomb in the endzone with no safety even in the picture, something is wrong.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,590 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,788ß
    David, I didn't say all, and it's not excuses. Both of those teams have top end DL's, neither have great OL's; both did things to to help the OL out, some of that was 3 step drops. PFF said that Dalton got the ball out faster then any other QB week 1; it is not an excuse, it's a reality. 30% of the time they were in 2 TE sets, that's not an excuse that's reality. On obvious blitzing downs the Bears kept in the TE and the RB to help block, that's reality.

Do you remember the last year that Orton was here? When everyone complained about him just dumping passes off, even though he would take a few shots down field every game? He didn't take a ton of sacks that year, even though the OL was lousy b/c he was getting the ball out quickly, the reality is that if the QB takes what the D gives, and gets the ball out w/in 3 sec's the D is going to struggle, no matter how good they are.

No one is saying the DL doesn't need to produce, but you cannot over react to one game and say they cannot create pressure w/out looking at what was happening. Last year everyone over reacted to the Bears O, which stuttered multiple times the rest of the year; and the year before everyone over reacted to Melton's big first game, he was held quite for much of that year. It's one game, don't be to quick to judge a DL where Peppers and Melton, the primary players, basically used game 1 as their preseason. I won't worry next week if it happens either. Come game 3-4 if they are still struggling, ya I'll have to wonder what's going on.
  17. DavidL

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,190ß
    If we get no pressure on those long bombs and conversions on 3rd-and-10 and 3rd-and-13, that's the responsibility of the DL, As coach said, they got 130 of their yards on just 3 plays. That's not Bears football. If the DL doesn't get to Ponder, it's time to try Washington at DE. He's a much better athlete than Wooten. Or else blitz more. Or something? I am not happy with our safety help over the top on these long bombs. Against these elite receivers like Green and Megatron, they need to have 2 Bears on them, or they will kill us like Green did. You could have gotten almost 29 points for him Sunday in fantasy league!
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,590 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,788ß
    Really, that's your angle? Washington could end up being a nice piece down the road, but he's not going to surplant anyone on this roster right now. Washington's a better athlete then Wootten?!?!?!? Put down the keyboard and step away from the computer.

You are aware that in his career Tillman has shut down Megatron, Moss, Johnson and many other elite WR's on his own right? You are also aware that TIllman was sick on Sunday and still got 2 Int's, and at least 40+ and a TD for Green came when he was not covering him; and that on that play Major should have taken over coverage for Jennings right?

This team did blitz more, but we are running a base cover 2, you cannot blitz when in that coverage and that is what the D wants to run. You are going to be limited in how and when you blitz out of the cover 2. Shea's sack actually came when the team did blitz.

Again this is a perfect example of over reacting to the 1st game of the year.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I suspect that if Tillman wasn't sick last week, he might well have done much better vs. Green. A big play in which Green scored, Tillman wasn't even on the field..

There's your problem... you're worried about fantasy football.

Tillman will get healthy, then he will do to Mgeatron what he has done in the past. Maybe you should check Megatrons' fantasy football numbers against the Bears from last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,590 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,788ß
    Green had his big day, but the rest of the O didn't really do much, It will be hard for that team to do anything if it's Green and nothing else.