Garza the last man standing on revamped line

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Sep 5, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    By Larry Mayer
    Roberto Garza has seen roster turnover before, but never a complete overhaul of an offensive line like the one that general manager Phil Emery orchestrated over the past year.

The veteran center is the only lineman on the Bears who remains from last year's opening day roster. New this year are Jermon Bushrod, Matt Slauson, Kyle Long, Jordan Mills, Taylor Boggs and Eben Britton. James Brown returns after being elevated to the 53-man roster last November.

They have replaced Gabe Carimi, Lance Louis, Chilo Rachal, Chris Spencer, J'Marcus Webb, Chris Williams and Edwin Williams.

"I've never been around when it's been a complete change like that before," Garza said. "But fortunately for us, we have a lot of great guys that came in—Slauson, Bushrod, the young guys (Long and Mills), Eben. A lot of guys came in that are offensive line guys that work and that fit in well. We're fortunate that we have a lot of good guys that know how to work and know how to prepare for a game, so it makes it an easy transition."

The starting line in Sunday's season opener against the Bengals is expected to consist of Bushrod at left tackle, Slauson at left guard, Garza at center, Long at right guard and Mills at right tackle.

Garza knows that the line will have to make adjustments on the fly and isn't worried that having two rookies on the field in Long and Mills will prevent that from happening.

"Communication is always key no matter if they're rookies or not," Garza said. "Being on the same page and doing the plays exactly as they are called and doing our techniques that we work on day-in and day-out is key for all of us. It doesn't matter if you're a rookie or a longtime veteran. Doing your job exactly how it's supposed to be done is the key to being successful."

Buddy system: Bonding at the NFL Scouting Combine in February and becoming good friends with the Bears has helped both Long and Mills on and off the field.

"Had we not been close we probably wouldn't be playing next to each other right now," Long said. "I feel like our relationship is so strong. It's a symbiotic relationship where two people work together to make a better something or a better environment for everybody, and that's kind of what we're trying to emulate, a symbiotic relationship."

"Just having another rookie to go through it with you is priceless," said Mills, a fifth-round pick from Louisiana Tech. "He's going through the same rookie struggles as you are, so it's good to have somebody there with you who knows what you're going through."

All business: After 17 years as an NFL assistant and five seasons as head coach of the CFL's Montreal Alouettes, Marc Trestman will make his NFL head-coaching debut Sunday.

"I would think it's going to be all business," Trestman said. "I just can't see it any bigger than that. [I'll be] focused on the football team and my job during the course of the game.

"I've said this before-I'm certainly very appreciative of going out there and being the head coach of the Chicago Bears on Sunday, there's no doubt about that. But my focus is to get the team prepared this week and go out and do my job on Sunday."

Trestman is hoping to join Hall of Famer George Halas (1920), Neill Armstrong (1978) and Dick Jauron (1999) as the only coaches in Bears history to win their debut contests.

Star in the making: Pro Bowl cornerback Tim Jennings has been impressed with how second-year receiver Alshon Jeffery has performed this summer.

"He looks great," Jennings said. "He looks slimmer to me. He lost some weight and he's moving well. He's in and out of his breaks well. He's running full speed. He's stronger. He comes out here and works every day. I think losing that weight got him feeling a whole lot better."

The Bears traded up five spots in the second round of last year's draft to land Jeffery, who showed flashes as a rookie while battling injuries, catching 24 passes for 367 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games.

"I see him definitely being an X-factor," Jennings said. "If you're going to try to take Brandon Marshall out of the game, you've got Alshon Jeffery to worry about, and he's a big guy that has great hands. He's a big body, and he's faster than what a lot of guys think."

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...ped-line/f64ab3bb-dc1f-47ba-8dae-6b8337ba36d9
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,861 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    114ß
    Emery, Trestman and Kromer just rolled up their sleeves and shoveled the crap out of Halas Hall. Garza will be shown the door next year.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +998 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I remember when we were all taking smack about the OL early in the offseason leading up to FA and the draft. This was back when Garza and Webb were assumed to be '13 starters and guys like Louis, Spencer, EWill, etc were still around presumably in the mix. Lots of posters were saying how crazy wrong (and impossible) it would be to turnover too many OL positions at once. Bad for continuity, cohesion, learning, yada yada yada. Lot of naysaying and sky-is-falling kinda stuff.

Turns out all those fears were misplaced and basically nonsense. We had GARBAGE before and no amount of familiarity/continuity/whatever would have ever polished that turd. Thanks to wiser analysis, we now have 4 new starters and you can pretty much guarantee it will be 5 a year from now. I'm so glad Emery didn't subscribe to "better the devil you know" kind of groupthink. Continuity is fine and good when YOU HAVE TALENT. You need the latter first before the former becomes valuable.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Well, Garza is still here, and he's someone I wanted as a starter or not at all.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,861 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    114ß
    But, for years we've been told ya just have to "Jell" the OL and it's all good. We "Jelled" ole Webb for three years. I think the only thing on the Bears that Jelled was Angelo & Lovie's brains.
  6. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Where's Clutchler now and his Webb love? Remember all his reasons for why Webb was a good offensive linemen?

"Look, here he is at a charity event for kids! He's got to be able to block better now!"

Jay has got to sleep at night better knowing J'Marcus isn't on the line anymore.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    He was banned ages ago. I hope he figures out that old debts were erased. Then we can make fun of him before banning him again
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,861 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    114ß
    Man, that's cold WNML. Don't you understand how Jay is grieving over his "Little Guy" right now? Jay did EVERYTHING for little J'Marcus. And now he's gone...

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  9. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    That is an amazing parenting magazine cover. You made that or found it on the intarwebs?
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,861 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    114ß
    I just stumbled upon it. I'm not that talented, that I could make something like that.
  11. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß

Yep, much like Kreutz when we let him go on how all that "leadership" will be missed. Sometimes guys have to just do their jobs, step up on their own and take the training wheels off along with TALENT being injected into the line. I hope the last few years serves as a forever example of what not to do in terms of mismanagement, lack of talent, and Tice like attitudes that are inflexible and too over-simplified.
  12. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It's really amazing to see how much the Oline has change in one offseason. I wasn't sure if it was possible to have a line which looks really good in just one offseason. It still needs to be tested but it HAS to be an upgrade over last years line or something have gone completely wrong.

All we need now is a new center and we will probably get that next year. Imagine the o-line in 2 seasons with Kromer as OC, that's gonna be a sick line if Long and Mills can live up to our hopes and we draft another talented center. All of the sudden the O-line went from shit to good.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,479 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    299ß
    "New this year are Jermon Bushrod, Matt Slauson, Kyle Long, Jordan Mills, Taylor Boggs and Eben Britton. James Brown returns after being elevated to the 53-man roster last November. They have replaced Gabe Carimi, Lance Louis, Chilo Rachal, Chris Spencer, J'Marcus Webb, Chris Williams and Edwin Williams."

Louis doesn't make a team, Rachal doesn't make a team, Carimi is backup T, backup G(what he would have been here), Spencer I'm not sure of, Webb is now on the Vikes, not sure what will come of that, I'm guessing backup, E Williams not on a team. C Williams, I believe is starting G for the Chiefs. That says a lot about how the OL was set up the last few years.

I have heard people spectulate that by the bye week Garza might well be sitting and Slauson will be the C and Brown would be the starting LG. We'll see what happens since Britton is the backup LG and C right now.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,861 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    114ß
    Good points. I'm really curious to watch Garza perform Sunday. Huge test for our OL, and Garza will (should) be tested in this game bigtime. If he performs well, then we're "good" with him this year. If he gets owned like last season, then the Bears will be sweating bullets, because we're gonna face some stellar DL's this year. Potentially Garza is the weak link left. I can't wait for Sunday's game. We'll know a ton about this year's OL by the end of that game.

One last point. And Ric I know you know this. Pre-season testing of the rookies is a far different animal than a real game against a great opposing "D" (and I rate the Bengals as one of the better defenses in the NFL this year). Just because the rookies performed well in PS, that doesn't mean they will be studs this Sunday. I hope they can do well, protect Cutler - and learn from this first "real" game in the NFL.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    No, it went from shit to question mark. They are playing a very good defensive line this Sunday. If you guys are thinking that it's not going to look ugly out there, think again. This is a game the Bears are going to lean on our defense.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I hope that somehow Boggs becomes good enough to become our starting C. You know then that would free up another draft pick.

LOL! Is he still blocked I assume?
  17. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Clutchler was the guy who had the near unhealthy love for Jay. Mr. Deliverance was the guy who was apparently the serious J Webb fan. Given Mr. D's disappearance after the Webb trade, I suspect that the reason he hated Jay so much was because Jay was expecting Webb to do his job, and willing to publicly goad him in an attempt to get him to do said job. Although I suspect a Webb lover would instead say that Jays' play style is solely responsible for making Webb appear to be a poor LT.