Gif of Bostic's hit

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    yeahdat.gif
  2. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Welcome to Chicago.
  3. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I loved it, but I was honestly looking for a flag right away. I think 50% of the time in the regular season, that hit draws a flag. I don't think there was any helmet to helmet, but how many clean hits have we seen flagged over the last couple of years. That's just the way our league is going. That said, I'll take the penalty risk and give the kid an attaboy for playing real football.
  4. Keston McCabe

Keston McCabe Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Ive seen some other clips of Bostic (in college) lighting people up. Dude is gonna fit in just fine.
  5. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +879 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    414ß
    Kind gets me all warm inside. Urlach who? Hopefully we have a new leader on D. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    Yeah, could have been "leading with the helmet" but haven't heard about a fine from the league yet. I guess he'll find out this week!
  7. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I thought it was clean, he went in with his shoulder, didn't go for his head, didn't launch, seemed like a good clean hit, but borderline. Even so, a hit like that, a potential $5,000 fine in the preseason, that is in the back of players minds whenever they see 57 on the field is worth every cent for our defense.
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    589ß
    Correct. He DID lower his head to make the tackle, but he still "HIT" with his shoulder, not his head.
  9. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It's one of those gray areas. If he were to start doing those big hits but tends to be on the illegal side more times than not, he'll get the reputation and won't get the benefit of the doubt. (I.E. Troy Polamalu)
  10. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    589ß
    How is it a gray area? He lowered his head (tackling at that angle with your head UP is pretty dangerous itself), and his shoulder hit Willie's shoulder as Bostic wrapped his arms around him.
  11. stonehouse91

stonehouse91 Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well looking at two angles it really depends on how you see it. There are people who think it should've been a flag, there are people who don't. It's how you look at it from what angle. We've seen refs throw flags for hits that weren't as bad. I think it was clean personally and a textbook example of how there can be a big hit despite the new rules.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Because the refs see it in real time and don't have the benefit of instant replay before they throw their flag. I think it was a clean hit and on slow motion, it can be seen as a clean hit, but going full speed, I see a ton of grey area for refs, depending on their vantage point. I think a lot of times flags get thrown for the "sound", which this one certainly had, but it was all shoulder pads. Bottom line, by the rule, I don't think their is grey area, but by application (refs) there is.

Ultimately, I say keep hitting like that and we'll take the flags if/when they come.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    My point exactly, and we'll be screaming the next day if it costs us a game, but so what, it's just nice to see.
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,745 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    719ß
    ya didn't pay close attention, but lowering your head and then making any contact to the other helmet(even the facemask) could well get a "just in case it's a H2H hit" flag. Got to keep that helmet up and tackle a little lower.
    Cowherd was talking about that, he said the NFL would rather have knee and leg inj's then head/concussion injuries so they want players hitting lower.. Which also explains why they are enforcing the thigh and knee pad again.
  15. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    Definitely Mr. BoomBostic. Very original and catchy.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,745 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    719ß
    Ya I liked Mr. BoomBostic, which was what someone called in a radio show the next day and called him(i'm not going to steal from someone else). But it's definately a catchy name.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,745 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    719ß
    Bostic got fined 34K for that hit, so 4DB was correct.
  18. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Geez, that's pretty steep. I honestly think that was about as clean as hard hits like that come, so I really don't understand after watching the slo mo how they can fine him like that, but I also don't doubt it a bit.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,745 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    719ß
    Don't know, but can you imagine if that hit had been on a QB or a "defensless WR"?
  20. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    The Player had both feet on the ground, made a football move, and was looking directly at the tackler when the impact (which was not to the head) was made.

I sure hope the appeal grants him some relief, if not total relief from the fine. The only thing he did wrong was drop his head as he initalized the tackle. I honestly believe that this was an attempt to avoid hitting the receiver in the head.

Total BS on the fine.

Did Suh get fined for his hit along the sideline last week on Trent Richardson (RB for Clevland). Suh left his feet to make the hit even though the runner was nearly out of bounds.