Gil Brandt likes the Bears moves.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, May 28, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    872ß
    Got this from WCG
    http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2014/5/28/5758950/not-every-national-nfl-analyst-is-clueless

Yesterday in my NFL Thoughts article, I spotlighted an interesting little nugget from CBS Sports' NFL Insider, Jason La Confora. He basically dismissed the entire off season from the Chicago Bears in his article titled, Expecting the usual turnover among NFL playoff teams? Not in 2014.
    Now I'm not sure if he wasn't aware of the numerous additions made by the Bears, or if he simply believes nothing they did could help their team in 2014, but either way it paints him as a clueless dolt. I get a bit more into his silly article on my 8th Thought yesterday, so for more on that click the link above.
    But for a more positive spin on the Bears off season, I spied an article today on NFL.com written by Gil Brandt. Besides his current role as NFL Media senior analyst for NFL.com, Brandt occasionally appears on NFL Network, he's actively dropping knowledge on Twitter and he's a former NFL scout and V.P. of the Dallas Cowboys.
    In his recent article, he spotlights the six 8-8 teams from 2013, and predicts a win total for each. He has four of the six improving, but he has the Bears making the biggest jump. He's predicting a 2 win increase for the Bears in 2014, and unlike La Confora, he actually acknowledges the off season by Chicago GM Phil Emery.
    Chicago's big offseason task, then, was to shore up the defense, and to that end, I think they did a great job in free agency, adding talents like Jared Allen, Willie Young and Lamarr Houston; Houston, in fact, was probably the Oakland Raiders' best defensive player last season. As for the draft, Chicago used its first-round pick on Kyle Fuller, who I expect will contribute immediately as a third cornerback, and turned to the line in the second round, grabbing LSU defensive tackle Ego Ferguson, who projects as an eventual starter. Finally, new defensive line coach Paul Pasqualoni is very, very good at what he does, and will be a boon to the unit. With a better defense supporting their explosive offense, the Bears should make a sizable leap in 2014.​
    Not only is he aware of the draft and free agency, but he mentioned the impact that long time football coach Paul Pasqualoni could have on the team.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    872ß
    Brandt has some inside experience as mentioned in the above article. He seems to really like new line coach Pasqualoni. With all the talent we brought in it will be hard for Pasq not to look like a genius but good to see he is highly thought of amongst those that know

The other 5 teams with 8-8 records were: Steelers, Cowboys, Ravens, Jets, and Dolphins. Everyone seems to like the Jets and Ravens draft so for us to be picked with the most change in the record is quite the positive.
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
  3. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +339 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    429ß
    Brandt has been a good judge of talent for eons and he's usually pretty accurate . Sounds good to me .
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    Im still trying to figure out how the Cowboys and Jets got to 8-8.

We were bad at defense but those guys were just bad.
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    It just have been pretty hard for LaCanfora to have not considered the additions that were made to the DLine. Either that or he's just one more writer who chooses not to do his homework. To say that the Bears "still can't play defense" strikes me as a very biased point of view when we always have had good defenses, save last year, and so much was done to add top talent both on and off the field.

When a team adds 3 DEs all of who rate in the top 20 in the NFL (two and the top ten), retains two vets DLinemen who are both quality players, and draft two DLinemen in the first three rounds, one of which is only a short distance behind Aaron Donald in college production, I'd say those are some pretty massive attempts to improve the defense.

Two Pro Bowl CBs plus a rookie first round pick to add to them, a perennial Pro Bowl LB, a 4 time All Pro pass rushing DE and another (Houston) who may be on the verge of becoming a Pro Bowl level player and a very good swing DE who rates in the top 20 are on that defense. What else is lacking except a stud Safety and we don't know that Mundy may not prove to be quite an improvement over Wright there.

We've added youth at LB and moved McClellin to LB where for the first time in his pro career he's not playing out of position and we brought in an "old school" LB coach to whip them into shape. They can't possibly as bad this year as they were last. The only way to go is up.

The personnel are there and the coaching issues have been covered as well so to believe they'll be no improvement at all is pretty naive on anyone's part. It's tough to get worse than second to worst.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,204 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    577ß
    La Confora is a hack, IMO. A fringe guy who somehow reached the spotlight and has parlayed that into a career. Reminds me of John Clayton over at ESPN.
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Even Clayton is more on the ball than this guy even if he does remind me of Wally Cox.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    LOL !