Good Article on The Gap with GB and offseason Moves

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 12, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    460ß
    I agree. As a fan I have a hard time waiting to see how these young guys turn out. I really agree with you that last year made it difficult to judge guys like Greene. And I could still see McClellin be successful at LB, but he's got to show the Bears something decent this year. The jury is still out on him and these youngsters - and in Greene's defense, it was his rookie season last year. I have no problem with a guy who doesn't shine his rookie year. But now let's see if he can improve (and Shea too).
    • Like Like x 1
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    144ß
    To be honest I'd rather see our picks invested up front and in the secondary. You can get away with jag's at linebacker if those two areas are square away. I know this isn't something we're used to here, but I just don't see a stud mlb in this draft worth using our first round pick on. I'd rather see us get a guy like Donald, a stud safety or most likely the second best corner at that spot. If a guy like bullogh is available in the 4th maybe I take a shot with him.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,428 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    351ß
    Honestly, if Emery fixes our pass rush, our linebackers are the least of our worries.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +630 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    526ß
    Even if we get lucky and Green, McClellan and Bostic become starters we will need back ups. I can see the argument of lets see what we have before we draft there replacements but I am all for giving them more competition and make sure they earn the spot. I like Mosley but his injuries from the past are making me rethink him, Borland seems to be a tweener, Burrow is a 34 ILB, Smallwood is slow and somewhat of a liability against the pass. That leave Skov and Bullough, and Bullough not exactly a strength against the pass either. Another one all over the board is Preston Brown goes from 5th best ILB to 10 depending on where you look. I would like Skov in rd 2 and deal with DB after that.

In my opinion S need to be taken in first 2 rds. So either miss on Donald or take one is pretty much how I see it. Buchannon or possibly Ward in RD 2 or come back and take Quarles. I am liking Donald and Quarles with existing line. Solid Depth, Quarles could apply pressure from the NT or 3 tech as could Ratliff. Taking 2 DT's probably makes you take a CB like McGill or Watkins who use to play S. Rd 3 if a MLB like Skov or Borland avail I have to take him. Pretty sure I have 3 starters drafted and see what falls out at CB and S in the later rounds. RB and QB can be gotten after the draft unless somebody falls they like. I see a strong front 7 and lots of nervous QB's.

We have Mundy, Conte, Steltz. etc so upgrade what you can and lets fix the front 7.
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +630 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    526ß
    oops skov rd 3 not 2 if avail
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    460ß
    I'll bet Shea is working extremely hard this off-season to be the best he can be. I've questioned his play but never his heart. The guy has always been one of those 100% give-it-all-you-got, guys. I do admire his effort. And while he was a major disappointment at DE, he could be decent as a LB. That is a distinct possibility, and I hope it happens. He's the kind of guy you want on your team. But the guy has to show he has the talent to play at the NFL level. So far, not so good in that area. But the position change could help that.

I was really ticked off watching Peppers half-hearted play in games because he DOES have talent. On the other side we had Shea giving it all he had - but the talent just wasn't there (not as a DL). If Pep ends up being a stud for the Packers, I'm REALLY going to be angry. He just stole the money here in Chicago last year. We paid him bigtime money to just loaf.
    • Like Like x 4
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,745 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,328ß
    Greene looked like more than the odd man out last year. He looked to me like he didn't even belong in the NFL period. If he doesn't pick his game up about 3 notches he'll end up a career STeamer if that because his tackling really sucked. It might be interesting to note the while Emery has talked about his expectations for both McClellin and Bostic at both MLB and SLB and suggested that Bostic's best position may be WLB Greene's name never comes up. IMHO he was that bad last year.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    439ß
    Soul:
    What I am really hoping for her is much improved play because of Pasquarelli (?). If that's the case, some players might let out some nuggets about the former guy. If that happens, then that kind of implies that both Tucker and Trestman did not do their jobs in fixing it. But just as likely is that he may just plain not be able to cut it in the NFL. Quite honestly, I hope it is the first one because then you could question the ability of most of our LB's to play in the NFL based on last year.
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +630 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    526ß
    Isnt Herring the LB coach, though Pasquarelli was line coach.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    439ß
    sorry BS. You are absolutely right, but I'm pretty high on Herring also. I think he was a really good pick.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,745 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,328ß
    I tend to agree with you Grizz. With the exception of a MLB prospect we almost have to let it play out for another year with McClellin, Bostic and Greene to see what we've got. We can basically flush last year down the tubes as far as it telling us anything other than McClellin is a shitty DE, Bostic isn't the answer at MLB and Greene may not be any answer at all. That's all I came out of last season with as far as those three are concerned.

We aren't gonna sit Briggs and probably not DWill either so as it stands only one of them will be on the field for any significant amount of snaps and that will more then liklely me McClellin because Emery is dead set on making him boom or bust this year. Any thing else that leads to more playing time is more like to come as a result of injuries and I really hope we can avoid that this time. Camp is the time to get them segregated into their best spots and then see how much they grow throughout the season so we can take stock of what we have.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,745 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,328ß
    Yes.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,745 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,328ß
    Now tell us how you really feel L. LOL Oh, and I agree. They need to move it up to the end of April about two weeks earlier than this year.

As far as I know Briggs has worked out offseason. Remember the infamous Lamborghini crash and dash? Getting out of there was probably the fastest 40 he ever ran in his entire life. He needs to be in much better shape than he was the end of last year but I can't recall conditioning ever having been a problem for him in his past so we'll see.

With as many new bodies, and good experienced bodies too, as Uncle Phil has brought in already and the draft still to come anybody who isn't ready to play come July will be gone quickly. The OTA begin in June and they should be able to see where most of those guys stand by then. Those that are carrying too much weight will be given a target for weigh in at camp and they'd better meet it. The same with the guys who have to add bulk and strength. That bunch should already have been working out since February.

I think Trestman is kind of a "this is how I roll" kind of guy and if you're not with him then your against him and he'll just skip right past you. He's still installing the rest of his offense and also has to take more of a responsibility with the defense this year so I don't see him holding anyone's hand on either side of the ball. He only has patience with those who've gotten on board and earned it.
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,745 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,328ß
    Too bad he hasn't shown even a glimmer of it so far in the NFL. He was playing like he was afraid to get in front of anyone and tackle them last year. We sucked all over but he played like he didn't have a clue. I hope you're right and that all he needs is some good coaching and some time to adjust because so far he's looked like a washout.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +472 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    144ß
    You don't fire position coaches mid season.
  16. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    428ß
    Pasqualoni is our DL coach. Pasquarelli used to be a writer for ESPN.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,745 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,328ß
    Yep and Passarelli (Kenny) is the name of Joe Walsh's bassist and sidekick who co-wrote "Rocky Mountain Way" but what that has do to with anything other than all of them being of Italian descent I don't know. Did I tell you guys they're gonna start selling pot out of vending machines out here now? Man, it's gonna talk a whole shit load of quarters to get high that way! :lolsign:
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,144 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    460ß
    +1

I'm really hoping he's going to be relentless in developing the defense in Chicago and be just as tenacious on that side of the ball as he is on offense. I figure he's smart enough to get it done on defense. I think the defense will get just as much scrutiny as the offense under this guy. I thought it was good that he kept Mel on board (even though I love to rag on the guy). Let's give Mel the tools to succeed and see how he does. If he flounders this year with solid talent upgrades, then I have no doubt Trestman will send him packing.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,745 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,328ß
    Up in Montreal he changed DCs just about as often as he changed his socks so you can best believe that Tucker has better run a tighter ship. Trestman knows he can't win it with just a great offense. He needs a top defense too so he will be relentless as far as seeing measured improvement. Tucker's replacement has already been hired. LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    428ß
    And his name is Pasqualoni...