Goodbye Webb & Palmer. Released by Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Aug 30, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 5 / -4
    Jimmors, they were not PS eligable, and no other team is going to take them in the meantime, no reason for them to waste a roster spot since the team seems intent on keeping McClown.

They will be looking at guys that are PS eligable though from what I have heard.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    Everything I can find says he weighed in at 285 this camp. I'm not a fan, so I hope we find someone on waivers to replace him, but there's still a few sub 300 centers starting in this league.
  3. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    Bears cut 17 players, still have five to go
    Posted 50 minutes ago
    By Larry Mayer
    The Bears on Friday reduced their roster to 58 by releasing 17 players including tackle J'Marcus Webb, running back Armando Allen and quarterbacks Jordan Palmer and Trent Edwards.

J'Marcus Webb was released by the Bears after starting 44 regular-season games over the past three years.
    The Bears must trim five more players to reach the NFL's mandatory 53-man roster deadline by 5 p.m. Saturday.

Other players released Friday were receivers Brittan Golden and Josh Lenz, center/guard Edwin Williams, guard Derek Dennis, tight end Fendi Onobun, running back Harvey Unga, defensive ends Aston Whiteside and Josh Williams, defensive tackle Christian Tupou, linebacker Jerry Franklin, safety Tom Nelson cornerback Demontre Hurst and long-snapper Brandon Hartson.

Webb appeared in 46 games with 44 starts in three seasons with the Bears after arriving in 2010 as a seventh-round draft pick from West Texas A&M.

The 6-7, 333-pounder started the final 12 games of his rookie year at right tackle, helping the Bears win the NFC North title and advance to the NFC Championship Game. Webb then moved to left tackle, where he started all 16 games each of the past two seasons.

After the Bears signed Pro Bowl left tackle Jermon Bushrod in free agency in March, Webb was shifted back to right tackle. He worked with the starting unit throughout the offseason before being supplanted by rookie fifth-round pick Jordan Mills early in training camp.

Allen lost a battle with undrafted rookie Michael Ford for the third running back position behind Matt Forte and Michael Bush. Allen appeared in 15 games for the Bears last season, rushing for 124 yards and one touchdown on 27 carries and recording seven special-teams tackles.

With the Bears opting to keep only two quarterbacks in Jay Cutler and Josh McCown, Palmer failed to earn a roster spot after an impressive performance in Thursday night's preseason finale. Playing the first half in an 18-16 loss to the Browns, the five-year veteran completed 11 of 17 passes for 111 yards with one touchdown and a 102.8 passer rating.
  4. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    Really only have to let three go with Hardon and Brandon injured and unlisted. On the bubble, IMHO...

Weems (I'd cut him)
    Toliver (I'd keep him)
    Boggs (Not a fan)
    Scott (He'd be my first cut, injured and bad)
    Ozougwu (He's looked solid, again, but a fifth DE might be out of the picture with a shallow DT)
    Irvin (didn't impress me and he's been injured, but I guess the staff liked his camp - which means shit to me)
    Thomas (should be a lock because of his ST and SLB play along the line, but who knows with seven LB)
    Wilson (Solid looking young CB with great size and athleticism, could try and sneak him through to the PS, but six CBs is a good bet)

Who do you guys cut from that list before we see the waiver pickups?
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 5 / -4
    Since they kept Ford I hope they cut Weems
    Scott I hope they cut, but I'm afraid they'll keep, bye Boggs
    JT Thomas, buh bye
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,508 / 0 / -0
    I'm with you 100% on that. Let Weems go.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +821 / 1 / -0
    I'd cut Boggs, Irvin, and Weems. Boggs can be slid to the PS easily, Irvin is hurt, and Weems is a waste of cap-space.

We have enough ST talent already (Hester, Ford, Bowman, JTT, Costanzo). Lets stop thinking like JA/Lovie by keeping overpaid ST players who don't contribute jack to O or D.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,508 / 0 / -0
    I'd be thrilled if Tolliver made it on the final 53 roster, but I'll bet he's going to the practice squad. He probably benefit immensely with a year of PS anyway.
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,796 / 5 / -4
    From ESPN/Chicago/Bears

Bears begin to trim roster to 53
    August, 30, 2013
    Aug 30
    12:14
    PM ET
    By Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

Here is a list of the Chicago Bears’ confirmed cuts as of Friday afternoon:

OT J’Marcus Webb
    QB Jordan Palmer
    S Brandon Hardin
    S Tom Nelson
    OL Edwin Williams
    WR Josh Lenz
    LB Jerry Franklin
    WR Brittan Golden
    LS Brandon Hartson
    QB Trent Edwards
    OL Derek Dennis
    RB Armando Allen
    TE Fendi Onobun
    DE Josh Williams
    DE Aston Whiteside
    FB Harvey Unga
    DT Christian Tupou
    CB Demontre Hurst

**According to a source, Hardin suffered a fractured scapula versus the Cleveland Browns Thursday night and will be technically listed as waived/injured. If Hardin passes through waivers unclaimed, he will revert back to the Bears' injured reserve.

**Offensive tackle Cory Brandon was carted off the field last night with a serious left leg injury that reportedly will require surgery. Brandon and Hardin's names did not appear on the official list of Bears'cuts the team distributed around 2:20 Friday afternoon, but neither will be on the Week 1 53-man roster.
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -0
    Bazunga! is finally gone think of all the cool shirts he could of sold like Jwebb? Oh well...
  11. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I'm hoping Zach Minter hangs in there. If not, I would like to see him on the PS.
  12. 4th and 26

4th and 26 Staff Member

Ratings:
    +401 / 1 / -2
    Ding dong the Ogre is gone.
  13. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    But wouldn't that go completely against everything I've heard about us going to the 3-4, seeing how he's easily been the best LB at getting into the backfield and disrupting the QB on blitzes? :p
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    I want them back too.

I think my Dog is better than McCown.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a major upgrade at S or TE especially with all the teams cutting folks.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. tbear1

tbear1

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    How does this guy sick around? Iam glad to hear they are still shopping for the PS. Too bad for Blanchard.
  16. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    We we're all celebrating this at work today.
  17. mamabear1

mamabear1

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree with you. I also thought that Hurst looked really good as well. What are they thinking with McGown? Been there, done that. It didn't work then and I doubt that it will work now. Big mistake, imho.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +821 / 1 / -0
    Palmer is the "call back" guy. He can/will be brought back during the season if the need arises. I know McCown sucks but promoting Palmer over him after a half of preseason football against a crappy team's scrubs when he's only been there a week was never going to happen. Relax, everyone, no one else is going to suddenly see Palmer as a "must have". They will sign someone to be the PS QB (which Palmer or Edwards couldn't be) and make a decision on Blanchard later when he becomes eligible again after week 10.

Hurst is a guy they are going to sign to the PS if he clears waivers. Prob Whiteside and Fendi too. No worries.

Biggest thing now is to see if the waiver wire has any worthy pass- catching TEs on it to be the #3. Adams' roster spot is not secure.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -0
    TE were always under utilized by the Bears no we have coach that goes through them in boat loads. I bet they're looking under every rock for TEs right now, how things change.
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -1
    This is a NEW TEAM ... the list was signed day one when Emery came on board and sealed with Trestmann.

What the hell did you think was going to happen ?

You really wanna keep these deadbeats around ?