Goodell: London might get NFL team within decade

Discussion in 'Rival Team Forum' started by The Benjamin, Jul 18, 2014.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,903 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    920ß
    [​IMG]
    NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said on Friday that London might get a team within 10 years. (Adam Hunger / Adam Hunger-USA TODAY Sports / May 8, 2014)
    Reuters
    4:30 p.m. CDT, July 18, 2014
    NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says interest in the league is so strong in London that the city could end up having a team of their own before the decade is out.

“It depends on if we continue to see that growth and how fast it goes,” Goodell told the NFL Network on Thursday. “We couldn't be happier with what we are seeing.

”We actually couldn't be more surprised by the tremendous demand for NFL football in London and the U.K. in general, and frankly even Europe. It's not something I think is 15 or 20 years away, it could be five or 10 years away.“

For the upcoming season, the National Football League is staging three regular season games in London, the most contests ever held overseas during an NFL campaign.

”The (London) fans want to see more NFL football,“ said Goodell. ”Our clubs have responded very favorably. We're anxious to do more of it.“

Patriots owner Robert Kraft also expressed his bullishness on giving Londoners a team of their own.

”We played here three times,“ Kraft said. ”It's amazing, the last two times we sold 85,000 tickets out, just like that. It was a great experience.

“I know enough of us in the ownership category along with executives at the league level feel that would be a great entry point and a way for us to expand the reach of the NFL.

”I'd personally like to see a franchise in London before the decade's out.“
    Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +851 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    785ß
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Was there, like 2y ago, Bears - Buccs, and I must say, there was a lot of crowd, no doubt, but huge majority of it wasnt ready for an NFL game. They are not used to thic constant breaks, time-outs and commercials, and especially for a game that lasts 4h! Crowds concetration fell dramatically in the second half and it was really painfull t be there cos they (majority) ignored the game ant talk between themselves. maybe someday...
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,872 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,627ß
    I can understand the European unfamiliarity with American football and it's pace which to a certain extent is due to so many commercial break by the fellows who are really footing the bill for the NFL. But is American football really less exciting than soccer?

That's almost like watching golf. Over 90% of the game the ball is nowhere the goal and teams play on that enormous field. I realize that it has incredible global popularity as the World Cup would attest to but if soccer ever expected to compete with football in the US they'd need to shrink the field by about half and shorten the game. Either that or break it up into periods or halves.

I can watch about 10 minutes of it and then my attention begins to wander so I can understand how the British might do the same over America football especially if they have no idea of game strategies and rules.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,138 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    History will judge Goodell as the madhatter the fans of today think he is.
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,017 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,051ß
    The one thing I give soccor is the no commercial thing, surround the field w/digital screens that advertise, and just let the game play move on. Baseball could us this too, but a real benefactor would be the NBA, basketball is fast and free flowing anyways, TO's and fouls break it up enough, you don't need scheduled TV time out.s

As for England getting a team, it'll either be the dawning of a new age, or XFL. Only time will tell, but it will happen. Still trying to figure out why they skip LA and move a team to Mexico city before England. It's closer and a better test b/c it's also a Soccer 1st sports city. If it's successful then move to Canada, then England.
  7. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +592 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    305ß
    Can we send the packers to London?
  8. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    It would be nice if the NFL would just stay put. The idea of maybe moving the bills to toronto is killing the argos. I wish they would just say no to Canada and stay in america. IMO Moving to England could be the start of the end for the NFL. Never to big to fail.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1