Grade the Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

?

What Grade Do You Give Phil Emery For the 2014 Draft?

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,718 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    CB Kyle Fuller
    DT Ego Ferguson
    DT William Sutten
    RB Ka'Deem Caray
    SS Brock Vereen
    QB Daid Fales
    P Patrick O'Donnell
    OG Charles Leno
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  2. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd give the Bears a solid A.

And I think you meant Ego *Ferguson*
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,306 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    394ß
    I just don't know. It's not a draft that had me jumping out of my chair, yet it could be a REALLY strong draft. I guess I would characterize it more as a draft high on potential moreso than super high performers (other than our first round pick).
    Last edited: May 10, 2014
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,723 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,250ß
    I'm not as underwhelmed as I was but I'd be hard pressed to give it more than a B right now and maybe that squeezes up to a B+ if Ferguson turns out to be a good NT. I expect 6 of the 8 picks to make the team but with the possible exception of Vereen we didn't luck out as well as some teams did. But, this is still Emery's best looking draft so far.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    418ß
    I feel like he made the team significantly stronger with this draft, and when you combine this with the off-season FA work he did, don't you get the feeling that we are going to be one hell of a solid team this year? If we can just stay healthier this year, we could have a really good season.

I think Emery deserves an "A" for this one.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,175 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    Would like to give it a hard grade other than a B but it just seems too nebulous of a draft with some potential steals, reaches, and attitude concerns.
  7. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    106ß
    I don't think you can give an A this early. After we see how the picks perform you can. Right now I would give a solid B. If the top 4 picks work out like we all hope they will, this draft will go down with the 83 draft as one of the all time great drafts.
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +686 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    372ß
    It's way too early to tell. But on paper I'd say it was okay-good. B.

My only concern is that we didn't draft any linebacker and tight end. Emery fixed the dline but LB is still very weak.

And who's gonna backup MBennett? Dante "2 catches for 13 yards" Rosario? Fendi "I suck at everything and shouldn't be on the roster" Onobun? Big question marks.
  9. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I'm giving it a B. I don't really like the Fales or Leno pick, would have prefered a TE.
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +350 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Sounds about right. I hope Fales turns into something but weak arm and short doesn't sound too good. But he's a fit for the system and that could be what's important. Don't get Leno but I don't know who was there.. woulda preferred a tight end.
  11. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +140 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    I picked B. I understand the first four picks and think they are fine. Vereen, Fales and O'Donnel are head scratchers for me. Not because they are 'bad' players but they do see link gambles/stretches.

So again, this year was again classic Phil, expect the un-expected.
  12. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    The QB was puzzling and the punter, a little.
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    It's a B, but for me it's the passing on an elite S. I know Fuller is a top/elite pick but it still doesn't sit well w/me. I actually...per usual...like the rest of the picks. Getting Fales to compete as a backup in the late rounds doesn't bother me, nor does the Punter.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +623 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    501ß
    In general I like what the Bears did

I like Fuller a bunch. I believe I was the first to point out S or CB over DT in rd 1. Originally was on the S bandwagon but moved to CB. Nickel defense was used almost 50% of plays last yr. Something else I read was in final Packer game we had 5 DB's in the game over 90% of the plays. The NFC north is no longer 3 yards and a pile of dust division. Both GB and Detroit added receivers, Detroit has Ebron and in free agency got Golden Tate from Seattle. Green Bay picked up a couple WR's with Devante Adams being a 2nd rounder. Having 3 starting CB's in NFC North becoming a necessity and we have 3 good ones.

Ego Ferguson was a surprise and relatively raw. He has lots of upside and could work out well but has yet to live up to his potential. Hopefully with our new coaches he will pan out. Read somewhere they asked him if he could play 2 gap in his draft visit. So scheme will be different if looking for a 2 gapper, without knowing the medical on Nix its hard to say bad pick but this is one I want to see develop. I am intrigued and not against the pick but seems early. If they had Sutton pegged in rd 3, maybe they had to take him in 2 as waiting for rd 4 for second DT was to risky.

Will Sutton and Kelcy Quarles were my argument against Donald in Rd 1. Sutton at the proper weight is going to be a beast. As a side not I am shocked Quarles went undrafted. The last few weeks he slid down the big boards but was up in the 40's and many still had in the top 100. Would love to get him as a UDFA. Back to Sutton, prior to last year he was the cant miss player and expected to perform as Donald did. Sutton put on some bad weight as his coaches thought it would improve his draft status. It definitely slowed him down, he is said to be back at the 290 range where he wreaked havoc. No reason to believe he will not be the same player he was and with NFL programs he can add weight properly with good diet and bulk. I see Sutton as the potential steal of the draft. Not just the Bears but all drafted.

KaDeem Carey is an interesting choice. Good insurance policy against injury. I personally like running backs who have good (YAC) Yards After Contact, and this guy seems to be good at that. A little concerned with his lack of speed and still grappling with the offense being more of a passing league how much speed you need from a RB. Carey was a work horse and should help move the chains, said to be a good blocker. Overall a good pick, question the speed, not sure if it matters with passing offense.

Brock Vereen. This is a position of need and may turn out to be a hidden gem. Typical Emery pick an that he showed well at the combine. In later rounds you want the measurables from the combine. This guy has all but height. I like we traded up and got a FS which was a position of need. Realizing I am not a NFL Scout I can not complain, I really liked Telvin Smith here and the Jags took him shortly after this pick. Jags new coach, Gus Bradley, former Seattle Def. Coor. took Telvin Smith who played OLB in college and is 6-3 and 220 pounds or so. I think he is going to make an awesome SS and so did Bradley evidently. I would have preferred Smith here and will watch this over time. Vereen I believe I saw can improve his tackling skills which as last line of Defense is not a strong point. In round 4 you are not getting excellence but have my question on this pick. Lets let it play out and see what happens.

QB, P, OT. I see the need for all but have to question QB pick. If the punter starts then you probably were not getting a starter in rd 6 anywhere else so good pick. I like developing linemen with late picks so like OT pick late.

Overall I give the Bears a B-: I like Fuller and Sutton, Have a wait and see on the rest.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    Ego was pegged as a late 2 early 3, Sutton was begged as a mid 3 so the Bears got the right guys in the right rounds.

In a passing league, 2 teams met in the NFCN w/superb run games, and Den had a solid run game also. The year before 2 teams met in the SB w/superb run games. it's still a vital part of the Offense, it's just that you can get the guys later, and you really haven't had that AP guy in the draft recently.

Ego/Sutton/Fuller/Vareen all are capable of playing multiple positions, shouldn't surprise anyone that these guys were picked by Emery.
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +623 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    501ß
    You have to get out of the NFC north before you worry about the playoffs. We have to play the Packers an Lions twice a yr. We need to stop the Pass. With the pack they have both RB and Pass. This is why I like Fuller pick so much
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,699 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    641ß
    BS, ya i'm okay w/the Fuller pick. Both the Pack and Det have pass/run dual threat...but then again I think the Bears are just as powerfull on the O as they are.

The question will be, which of these teams have the best D. And until I see different I think the Bears run game is the best of the 3.
  18. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +127 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I give is a B- to C+, Like the 1st, 3d and 4th picks best. I think that rounds 6 and 7 were a total waste. One need we didn't adress is where is our future Center, because I for one am not sold on anyone we have right now on the team.
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +623 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    501ß
    La Puenta????
    • Like Like x 3
  20. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I gave it a A so far and this is why ...........
    Emery had his work cut out for him after the collapse of the "D" last season. LOTS of holes to fill just like the "O" last year.
    The players he drafted fit the needs of the team.
    As far as the last two picks are concerned he must have felt that the punters on the roster could be improved upon
    and he got a QB to develop for the practice squad at least.
    It looks like there were not any other safeties that he thought were worthy and that he could do better in the second round of FA or undrafted players.