Grade the Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

?

What Grade Do You Give Phil Emery For the 2014 Draft?

1. A

14 vote(s)
    31.1%
  2. B

28 vote(s)
    62.2%
  3. C

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  4. D

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,131ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    La Puenta is likely the C next year, and possibly this year if Garza gets hurt. He's the best long term option, and no 5th-UDFA was going to beat him out for the spot.
    I would have liked to see a LB or TE, but I saw a tweet that said this TE class was one of the worst ever, so if you didn't take one early you weren't taking one at all; kind a like S.
    I think the LB class was viewed similarly, Skov went UDFA and was looked at as a 2nd or 3rd day pick. So the areas that also needed improvement weren't good, but the team double dipped at DT which was viewed as very deep, and got a top CB in a deep CB class, so I guess the team just went best of the Best on D and worked BPA from there.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Boochee Man

Boochee Man
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    Only 10 tight ends were taken through 7 rounds. Some scouts have called this one of the weakest tight end drafts in history. You can't blame Emery for that.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Boochee Man

Boochee Man
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    Of course the 7th round pick was a waste. It was a 7th round pick. The amount of times Podlesh had me yelling at the tv the past two seasons was enough to justify that 6th round pick.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    226ß
    Amen to that. We have our punting situation locked for 10+ years by the looks of it, not bad for a 6th rounder. Top rated punter, can't really argue with grabbing him. I'm glad to have him on the team, I was hoping we'd draft a punter late but didn't really think it would happen.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,223ß
    yep, had not thought much about the punter as i figured after the draft but I like it. Who else you going to get in the 6th to contribute right away.

6. MPbears68

MPbears68
    Expand Collapse
    Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    I loved the first 5 picks. Give them an A.

The last 3 (far less important admittedly) I didn't care for. Thought Emery could have easily gotten his punter in 7 and could have gotten more mileage out of the two 6th rounders.

B+ overall

7. Bear_40

Bear_40
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    261ß
    C-B as the only potential first year starter is the punter (barring injury). We gained much needed depth, but so far that's it. Not to say that I dislike what we're doing, I just want us to get an impact player on D and haven't seen it yet.

8. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,131ß
    http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/10/2014-nfl-draft-grades/

Chicago Bears

General manager Phil Emery hit a number of potential home runs, starting with first-round cornerback Kyle Fuller, who may have had the cleanest tape of anyone in this class at his position. Second-round LSU DT Ego Ferguson, though still learning the finer points of the game, should be able to stick at multiple spots. Grabbing Arizona State defensive tackle Will Sutton in the third round and Arizona running back Ka’Deem Carey should be a win for the team’s Southwest area scout. Minnesota safety Brock Vereen actually projects pretty nicely as a slot corner at the next level, filling another clear need. Head coach Marc Trestman gets his developmental quarterback in David Fales, and Boise State offensive tackle Charles Leno Jr. projects nicely as a possible guard.
    Grade: A-minus

9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Been out of town all weekend. But I'll weigh in here

I gave it a B. It really is absolutely impossible to even speculate how he did until the season starts, and really will take 2 years to get a good feel for how he did.

But my thoughts on it

Kyle Fuller
    The more I think about it and the more I see how the draft went, I am liking this pick. Fuller has great ball skills and adds an element of versatility to our defense. While I am not sold he wont be tried out moving back to safety (he played some at VT, not much though) I do feel we got the best pure coverage player in the draft. He breaks very well on the ball and from what I see I think he will come away with some nice INTs. Weather he plays FS or gets quality snaps at NB before moving outside. Great tackler as well, probably will get some chances to blitz and makes plays behind the line.

Ego Ferguson
    I know some "experts" call this a reach but I don't think so. I think he has potential to play either position at DT. I don't get hung up on his weight that is a bit high for a 3tech. He showed good burst and we need youth on the DL. Going into day 2, it looked as if we may steal a DT here, but there was a run so I don't disagree with taking him here. I think he will get some quality time here.

Will Sutton
    I have to say this was my least favorite pick. Guy lost a step and played too heavy last year. Its a boom or bust pick I assume we are hoping he drops down a bit and plays 3 for us. We will see, either a 2nd year starter or doesn't make it too long in the NFL IMO.

Ka'deem Carey
    Steal here IMO. I'm surprised how well he runs through contact. Looks to have a full NFL skillset and his speed is obvious. Great fit in our system IMO, and I expect he has no problem landing the RB2 job and will be able to spell Forte without the defense sleeping on him. I like how strong he appears to be and runs very tough. Finishes runs even when giving up size and arm tackles don't seem to slow him down let along bring him down. Can catch and block, always key as well. Some think we got the best RB in the draft, great value.

Brock Vereen
    I liked this guy every sense I was doing a early version of a mock and came across him. Tremendous potential and I don't mind a pure potential pick this late. This is my pick for this year's version of Mills, and I think our starting S's need to be on notice for this guy. If there is a darkhorse starter in this class, its him imo.

David Fales
    Fales can do what we need a qb to do if Cutler gets hurt. He's a smart player and if we do need him to play anytime soon, we need him to not do anything dumb. Seems like he can do that as he makes good decisions. Palmer will have a good TC battle with him IMO for the number 2 job and regardless now we have another body around. I figured Emery was lying through his teeth when he inferred they won't take a qb after the 3rd. Will he be around 3 years from now? Who knows but our long term qb isn't solved IMO.

Patrick O'Donnell
    Well, we need a punter, and now we have one. I don't know what else to really say.

Charles Leno
    Here ya go Kromer, heres a guy who looks like an NFL OL, but doesn't play like one. I like taking OL every draft so won't complain. Wait and see on him IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  10. latorreedgar

latorreedgar
    Expand Collapse
    Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    How can this not be an A! Emery filled the spots that need it the most upgrade with the first 3 picks.
    Then he went ahead and got 2 of the top 3 rushing leaders from last year college football season. In Ka'Deem Carey and Jordan Lynch. Jordan can be the goal line RB and play special teams. I can see all the picks making the team this year