Grade the Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

?

What Grade Do You Give Phil Emery For the 2014 Draft?

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    Ferguson is raw and very inexperienced but with Ratliff signed for two years there's time to teach the kid how to assume that role. The great thing about Ratliff is that he can play either of the inside spots and I think that's what they want to get out of Ferguson so he can fill that role when Ratliff retires. Right now they want him to play as a NT but he's shown some of the type of ability to penetrate that a 3 tech needs as well.

We needed more bulk at NT and Ferguson provides that. With Ratliff and Paea ahead of him they can work him into it without throwing him into the fire day one. I thought there were better choices in round two but I can also see the investment they decided to make here. Paea has struggled to stay healthy and Ratliff is good but aging so it's not like we had no need for a NT.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    347ß
    You have 5 guys that can play in some form by the start of this season and some FA's that look solid. With one FA being a possible secret weapon of untapped potential for Trestman to use in many options. You can't beat that for a no pick so this draft is an easy A+ I call it awesome job.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    I think the two biggest bargains in this draft were Sutton and Vereen. These guy may never be All Pros but they can play the roles they were drafted to play and you can win with this type of player.

After spending more time looking at Vereen as a college player I believe that if they'd left him at Safety for most of his career as opposed to shifting him back to CB from time to time (especially as a senior) that he probably would have rated a 2nd round grade just like Ward and Bucannon. The kid had all the measurables of a top notch DB and was a respected leader at Minnesota. Put him at FS and let him run the defensive backfield from there and we may have another Mike Brown.

Sutton took some very bad advice and added weight he didn't need in his senior year. He's not a 315-320lb NT. He's a pure 3 tech just like Donald and he needs to play at 280-290lbs like Donald and like he did himself as a junior. If he'd have done that last year he'd more than likely have been neck and neck with Donald as the two top DTs in the draft. So he slid back and we actually got him cheap in the 3rd because he's already back to 290lbs now. This is a kid we can use as a weapon in the DT/NT rotation and he allows us to keep Houston at LDE on passing downs more often.

These are the two mid round picks who I think will make this draft the best we've seen in a while.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    347ß
    Oops, I was wrong it's 6 guys that can play by start of season forgot the punter.
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I like the fact we have the offensive system (and talent) in place that all we really need for success is a system QB. This guy (Fales) is extremely accurate & football-smart with his short to intermediate passes. All we need on the Bears now is a guy who doesn't give the ball away to the other team. Basically, just chuck the ball into the general zip code of Alshon or B.Marsh or M.Bennett and it's a completion or TD. We don't need a guy with a cannon for an arm, but just a guy with a brain who can work the field and move the chains. THIS is the Trestman system. It's killer-good and QB friendly. We saw that last year when Jay went down to injury. Hopefully, Trestman sees Fales as his kind of backup QB. When Jay goes down, trot this kid out and keep winning games. I hope this kid is our #2 this year.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    Yup, just be smart and let our playmakers.. well.. make plays. Forte is a stellar RB and our receiving options are out of this world good. Plus I think Wilson is going to be a baller in the slot this year. Nice to have an offense that helps QB's, rather than brings them down. Remember when Rashied Davis and Devin Hester were our top target at receiver? And Kellen Davis being our big bad tight end? Plus we had reliable guys protecting our QB's on the line like Webb and Omiyale. Ahh, how times have changed. It's good to be a QB in Chicago and WR's no longer come here to die.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I was thinking today about how great it is to be a Bears fan right now. This is a franchise on the way up. Emery and Trestman are remaking the team into their vision, piece-by-piece. Some of these pieces are short-term players, while many are key youngsters for the long-haul success of the team. All of us (me included) want instant success, but we also realize it takes a few years for a new GM, HC, coaching staff & schemes to get on track with a new roster - and begin winning championships. I think we'll be significantly better this season, however the 2015 season will probably be the one where we have the team 100% rebuilt to the vision Emery and Trestman brought to Chicago. I'm okay with that. Especially since I can see a methodology here for sustained winning years into the future. More like you see in New England under Belichick. We can hate the guy, but we also have to give him his due. He knows football and usually puts a good team on the field most years. I see this kind of system getting built now in Chicago.

These drafts don't have to produce all hits, but rather enough pieces to significantly improve our team with young players. I think we'll look back on these years and realize these were very good drafts. Probably as good as any team in the NFL. Not perfect drafts, but you don't get "perfect" drafts. It's like no MLB player bats 1000. You hope for a high average, but realize it's not an exact science with a team. Anyway, it's an exciting time to be a Chicago Bears fan.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß

Yep, to me its simple. We need another guy in the qb TC battle. Palmer is unproven. We had other needs and couldn't afford the pick it would cost to get a McCarron, Mettenberger ect. Trestman obviously supports this pick, otherwise I seriously doubt Emery would have made it.

In the case that Cutler gets hurt and this guy finds himself on the field we don't need him to go out there and win games. We need him to keep the offense efficient by letting the other talent win games. In short, we need him to not do anything stupid that is going to put us in bad spots, and for the immediate future he can do that IMO. Follow the McCown mold and just be smart and safe with the ball to keep it moving. We don't need him to throw a 50 yard pass over a corner but under a Safety on a regular basis. I'm sure nobody will ask him to wire a 25 yard post over a LB and between both S's. I have doubts that he is
    the guy for the future but for the time being he will get a fair shot to show what he can do and gives us some cushion for when Jay goes down.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Way I see it here is what we have.

Day one starters/Impact players
    Fuller, O'Donnell ***50/50 shot that Ferguson or Sutton ends up here IMO**

Role Players/ST contributors
    Ego, Sutton, Carey, Vereen

Developmental/Emergency Depth
    Fales, Leno

I can see a solid 5 of these guys sticking and ending up as long term players for us.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,556 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    759ß
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I feel the same. I think they both were bargain picks that can be huge for us.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    :rofl2: I know that's true but it's funny. I have a mental image of receivers with 8 Doc Ock mechanical arms just standing around waiting for a ball to come whizzing by.

If Fales has the smarts and the accuracy to simply not lose games with bad decision making he can't compensate for then yeah, in a year or so he might work out just fine as a #2 QB. Looking back at some of our past attempts to find backup QBs he certainly has a better pedigree than the others. He also has Cavanaughs blessings on his arm and his accuracy and ability to make all of the throws so who am I to quarrel with that. Cavanaugh isn't Martz.

As I said in another post. Drafting him as a current #3 and potential future #2 made a whole lot more sense than drafting a guy to be the #5 CB or Safety or #6 WR just to have one more body to cover kicks if he even made the team and most 6th rounders don't. Fales probably will.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +738 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    706ß
    Big question is still where Ratliff plays. If they keep him at a 3 tech as he is getting older then both DT's will be rotational players, If they move Ratliff over to NT then Sutton may start. I think there will be a lot of rotation keeping them all fresh anyway with Young, Allan, Houston, Collins, Peae, Ratliff, Ferguson, and Sutton. Throw Bass and C Wash in and Izzy may not even make the team, think they will give younger guys time to develop over older guys which could be trouble for Izzy. Hopefully they can give or LB's more room to roam
  13. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +363 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    I think there'll be so much rotation that who's starting and who isn't won't be as big of a deal as in the past. So much talent you gotta give everyone a chance to ravage whomever we're facing. We've got lots of potential on that line and it's going to be a rough day for running backs and quarterback alike. Reminds me of that quote from Singletary talking about the '85 Bears.
    "I'm looking at Wilbur and I'm looking at Otis and those guys are just barkin'. Mike! Man I'm gonna kill him. Wilbur! I'm gonna get there first. Dent was saying no I'm getting there first. And it was going on and on and Hampton was saying no I'm getting there first. And I'm looking at these guys and I'm saying wait wait wait this guy is bleeding. The guy is bleeding at the mouth, the guy is bleeding at the nose, you don't have to kill the guy! We don't care. He's the quarterback! We're gonna get him, that's what we do!"

If you wanna get pumped up it's good vid for it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    Man if Im the NFC North at offense ... Im hatin THE CHICAGO BEARS.

Peterson , Bush , Lacy ... your days are done against us.

Rodgers , Matthews , Bridgewater/Ponders its not going to be like it was.
  15. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    I give Emery a B+, he truly is building the Bears into a championship team........can't wait for the season to start.

If the Bears can stay healthy all year, they are going to win the division and go deep in the playoffs.
  16. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    NUFF SAID !!!!!
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß

I think Ego and Sutton will battle for a starting spot. Ratliff can play either position, Ego can naturally play the 2, but he has some burst that he could use at 3. Sutton is kinda handcuffed to 3 for the time being.

Whoever emerges better between Ego and Sutton has a great chance of starting. Not writing off Collins, but I think that one of these two stands a good chance to be an impact player. If nothing else, its great to have two quality rookies pushing each other as well as the vets to bring out the best in everyone.
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,855 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,561ß
    What we now have is a combination of older vets, young vets, and rookies some of whom can play more than just one spot. Sutton may be the only guy whose more a pure 3 tech DT than anything else and that's what we needed to replace Melton. The others are capable of moving around and Izzy and Houston inside from DE if needed.

We'll be very lucky if we go through an entire season without guys getting injured and missing a game or two or even ending up on IR. The difference is that now we have the depth and experience to withstand it. It also means that if a guy is hurting like Paea was last year we don't have to play him out of sheer need. We can rest him and let him get back to full strength without losing much.

Ratliff's best position is playing the Shade NT position in the middle. He's offers far more strength against the run playing there and he's primarily a guy who occupies blockers and bull rushes the pocket to collapse it than he is a penetrating gap shooter like Sutton is built to be. Ferguson is also tabbed to play that spot for now which means they may actually move Paea around more rather than Ratliff especially with Collins still a question mark after his ACL tear.

Paea isn't all that dissimilar than Sutton in that he combines some incredible natural strength with a very quick get off at the snap which allows him to split gaps and get into the backfield too. Remember that safety he caused against Minny in his first start? We haven't seen much of that since because he's been playing at NT and that's not the way that spot is played but he has played that Under Tackle spot in college and they may have him try it again this year and use the bigger guys, Ratliff and Ferguson, to control the middle A gap.

Collins is another who can play both but with his size he's more of a DT than a NT too. Then you have Izzy and Houston who could also move inside to rush and Young who can play either DE spot so depending on how they scheme it they have all kinds of possibilities as far as positions go. They may keep as many as ten DL this year just to keep fresh players in the rotation. Even Jared Allen my have to get used to playing less snaps than he normally does.
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,979 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    993ß

I don't think either of them will be battling for a spot this year. Sutton is a natural 3 tech DT, Ego is a natural NT in a 4-3. I think Ratliff is going to be moving between the DT/NT depending on where the team needs him based on run or pass downs and the 2 rooks will be a in a rotation w/whoever is the other DT or NT this year. And don't forget Emery said he wants to see Houston/Allen/Young on the field at the same time, which indicates Houston will play some DT also.

Next year is when I think it gets real interesting b/c of Ego reaches his full potential then you got a guy like Ratliff who can play 3 tech and is 315 lbs and now you got a real crazy rotation going on.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß

I can see what your saying, I do think that either Ego or Sutton will get some quality time in a rotation at the very least. I see the 3 tech spot kinda up in the air. Collins, Sutton, and Ego I think all have a fair shot and landing the starting spot (by this I mean most snaps in what I expect to be a deep rotation.)

I think we are going to see a ton of different Dl combos and a very deep rotation. Not that I, or anyone else knows what the plans are but just a rough example I could see is a bunch of situational looks.

Base (starters)
    LDE-Allen/Young
    2-Ratliff/Ego
    3-Collins/Sutton
    RDE-Houston/Izzy

Short yardage
    LDE-Izzy
    2-Ratliff
    3-Ego
    RDE-Houston

3rd and forever
    LDE-Allen
    2-Sutton
    3-Houston
    RDE-Young
    **Add the ability to blitz Shea or Fuller to the mix if needed**

Not that I think this is exactly how it will happen, we just have a ton of flexibility and alot of bodies that are good at many things. Its an exciting time to be a Bears fan and if Tucker can show just a little bit of competence then there are numerous things we can do with our personnel.
    • Like Like x 2