Grade the Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

?

What Grade Do You Give Phil Emery For the 2014 Draft?

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,126 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,486ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Grizz, just an FYI since you've been out of town you probably didn't get to hear. Sutton is already down to 290 and said he could either gain or lose another 5-10 lbs'.

2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +670 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    460ß

Thanks, I will probably make some more dumb comments like that. I was in the middle of nowhere in Michigan so just getting updates on who was taken/who was available was tough let alone stuff like that. Thats very encouraging to hear because I know he was sloted as a first rounder and probably the first DT taken last year when he played lighter and more explosive. I'm guessing with Ego being taken before him that Emery didn't think there was much chance he was making it to us in the 3rd.

3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,126 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,486ß
    Emery stated that they were purposefully targetting Ego in the 2nd and Sutton in the 3rd.

Gil Brandt said that he talked to 4 scouts that said Ego was a late 2nd early 3rd pick, so at best a slight reach but not if the Bears specifically wanted him and not just any NT or big DT

Ego on his conference call said Paul Pas stated to him he wanted him to play 2 gap or 2 tech(not sure which one) so they are looking at him as a NT.

4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +670 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    460ß
    Alot of people are disliking the Ego pick but I don't. Games are won and lost up front, always has been always will. So taking 2 guys who I feel can be really good players (now that I know about Sutton's weight) is a great thing IMO. Ratliff, Collins, and Paea better be put on notice to preform because now two quality rooks are comping at their heels.

5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    I wasn't a very strong group of MLBs or TEs this year lb. Some ILBs who were rated as mid round picks ended up not being drafted at all and the TE class was atrocious so few got picked. We missed out on Borland, the guy I'd have liked to see us take, and it looks like the guy we wanted as an UDFA signed elsewhere.

There's still gonna be opportunities to look over vet LBs and TEs who'll end up being released after the draft and UDFA signing are done. Emery has never been shy about signing any vet he feels may be an upgrade over someone he has so I'm not worried about it. If they're out there he'll find them.

As for a #2 TE to backup Bennett I still think they're very high on Onobun. He has all of the tools you'd want in a guy to play second fiddle to Bennett and he spent all of last year on the PS learning the game. They're gonna give him another shot at it this summer and hope the light finally goes on and he makes that transition from BB player to FB player.

Rosario isn't an inline TE like Bennett. He's good HBack/Move TE whose more of a blocker than a receiver but he can catch if they ever decide to throw to him. You can't blame him for the lack of opportunities. He's an experienced TE and a good STeams guy or they wouldn't have traded a pick for him.

LB is only weak IF McClellin and the guys we drafted last year don't step up and play like they were expected to when they were drafted. We still have Briggs and DWill to start and Senn as an experienced backup so if the young guys progress and we can stay healthy we should be fine. Look at it this way. We have a former 1st round pick, a 2nd round pick, and 4th round pick in the LB mix. It's time to find out what that bunch can do and I would expect it's far more than a late round pick or UDFA could do. We need to know what we've got in that bunch before we start drafting even more LBs at the end of a draft. We have guys like that too.

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,126 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,486ß
    I really liked the Ego pick, but his upside isn't that of Sutton, but he's still damn good. And from the get go, even before Emery talked about it, I figured he'd fight for a spot w/Paea for NT.
    And I think his ceiling is a DT as well as NT, but his floor is productive NT, and nothing wrong about that when you got a really damn good DT in the 3rd.

7. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    167ß
    Ahh, I hope you enjoyed my hometown!

8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +670 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    460ß
    North of Hastings if you have any idea where that is, family has a house on a lake....Great place, just not great for following all the draft stuff

Anyways, IMO strong draft all in all. Lots of potential and high ceilings in this draft. Fuller, Sutton, Carey, Vereen can all shock some people IMO. Filled our needs very well, the defense will have a few rookies that may have an impact and the offense is protected against injuries hamstringing the team.

9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Didn't need to JJ. We signed de la Puente. He was the starting OC in NOLA for the past 3 years. He's better than anyone we could have drafted in rounds 6 or 7. I'm not sure I get the OT pick in 7 other than the fact that the kid was a 2 year starter at LT and most of the OT prospects we have now are RTs.

Round six was a question mark to me as well until I figured out that those two have a far better chance of making the team than what was left and other positions of need. At they very least we probably got a very good punter there and we needed one and Fales is probably a better prospect for a #3 than what we had. Anyway we needed another arm in camp so it might as well have been a guy who at least has a fighting chance of sticking.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    167ß
    Yeah, I'm waaay further north but I've been around Hastings. Lot bigger than where I'm from but then again if you're north of there it's easy to be in the middle of nowhere pretty quick. Lower Peninsula is pretty droll for the most part, just farms for the majority.

Yeah I definitely love the picks. The first three all had first round grades at one point or another so that's amazing in itself. Carey had insane production and I love the way he finishes runs especially at the goal-line. I was watching tape and there were quite a few instances where he squirmed his way in there, or even bullied his way in when you weren't expecting it. I agree with the Vereen being a dark horse to start. I honestly can imagine Conte getting the FS job, I think the kid still has potential and I'm going to hope that his lacking was in part due to this nagging shoulder injury. At the very least a 100% healthy Conte who knows his job/career is on the line should provide stellar competition. But, as I was saying, I could seen Vereen lining up across from him. At the very least our competition at S is better than last year and with all these other improvements I'm not sure what else someone could expect. It's time to see what these guys bring to the table, and if we find they're not up to it we've got FA and Draft next year. With this DL I think it'll make the safety job a tad easier, but they still better perform if they want to stick.

We got 5 guys who have the potential to see a lot of field time/start (Fuller, Sutton, Ego, Vereen, O'Donnell) and a project for Kromer (Leno) as well as one for Trest (Fale) plus a complement back to Forte (Carey). Good effort by Emery.