Grade the Bears 2014 Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, May 10, 2014.

?

What Grade Do You Give Phil Emery For the 2014 Draft?

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    I can see where you going now. Sutton and Ego's ceilings are sky high Sutton is farther along though so I'm guessing he'll get more time, but from reading and listening to people about Ego, if he hits his ceiling he's going to be a solid pass rusher also, that's a scary thing when thinking about Sutton at DT next to him for the foreseeable future.
  2. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    76ß
    I wouldn't buy into that whole thing Emery said about the starting 3 dliners.....he also didn't like the idea of drafting a QB late in the draft....the guy is a lying maniacal genius lol
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,570 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    789ß
    Could also be a maniacal lying genius. He's versatile like that....
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    So after a couple of days of reflection here are my thoughts on the draft. I was underwhelmed. And I don't mean to say that as a bad thing. The draft didn't bring us any sexy names...and I'm ok with that. In my mind all of our needs were filled(minus TE and LB), and we filled them with solid football players with lot's of upside. I love the Fuller pick, and I think he will be doing more for us than people think. Ego in the second was initially shocking to me, but after reading up on him I really like the pick and his upside. If the kid would have come out next year he's likely a first round pick. I loved the Sutton pick in the 3rd and I think he will be big for us this year. I also like the fact that we have the veterans we have on the line to bring these kids along and show them the ropes. I think they can learn a lot from guys like Ratliff and Allen. I'll be honest I was hoping for Pierre Desir in the 4th, but Vereen in the 4th was a nice get at Safety and he could push Conte...let the best man win there. We all know that I think our safety play will be better with a guy like Mundy back there communicating and our d-line doing this crazy thing called stuffing the run! Carey was a good choice as well and should be a good complement to Forte. I would have been ok with the Bears waiting and signing a guy like Isaiah Crowell after the draft, who I think is going to do well in this league, but I'm ok with the pick. After that it's all filler. The punter was surprising for me, but thats only because I had received some info that made me think we wouldn't draft a punter. I would have rather had Taj Boyd over David Fales....but again...I'm not going to complain about that.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Yeah, I misworded my original post. To me one of our "starters" would mean the highest snap count on a given game. I think we could have different "starters" for different games.

For example, when we play GB I could see Sutton being our "starter" due to how much the pass at the 3 tech. Now when we play Minn, I could easily see Ego "starting" at 3 to combat the heavy dose of AP. Just such a great thing to have such a deep rotation with guys that have no glaring weakness, but do specific things very well.
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß

That's the only things I would have liked as well. But I think we took Fales as an emergency starter for the short term if Cutler gets hurt and Palmer isn't as advertised. Fales is less likely to lose a game for us than Boyd would be, but is also less likely to make big plays and win a game. I'm good with that, neither is our QB of the future (in all likeliness) so I completely understand this move.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    I you look at what Seattle does with their d-line...the rotation is unbelievable. No d-lineman in Seattle played more than 57% of the defensive snaps. In contrast Peppers and Wooton played over 80% of the snaps for us. Now I'm sure injury had something to do with that, but I think you'll see something more in lines with our guys playing around 60-70% of the defensive snaps this year.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    Butkus, I think all the picks but Sutton were a bit of a surprise at first, but as everything unfolded you actually saw a plan come together to build a team, and not just a collection of talent. There was never a WTF moment, even if you were underwhelmed by the pick itself, and at the end of the draft you saw they did everything we had talked about, 2 DT's 2 DB's a RB. They didn't get a TE or a LB, but these were historically weak this year, at least at TE, but even LB's ranked in the 2nd or 3rd went undrafted, so I think the team went w/other areas.

I actually agree I like Boyd more, but I think Fales fits Trestmans scheme better. The Punter actually made sense b/c the P's are a complete mess
    • Like Like x 1
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Yeah, I think at the end of the day thats why I'm so happy with this draft. There was a plan and it was executed. I think some of us were angry they didn't go safety in the first, but if you think Fuller is the next Tillman...you shouldn't pass him up...especially when you consider how many 3 corner packages we're going to play, and his ability to cover a tight end and play the run. It gives us tremendous defensive flexibility. We talked about doubling up at DT and we did, and we needed too with how much attention we paid to DE in free agency. I think we can all agree now that Houston is playing defensive end. He'll slide in on passing downs obviously, but he's our starting defensive end. Like I said...overall I'm very happy.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    And that's what I thought about a few days into it, there is next to no chance that the team will be drafting this high again next year or for the foreseeable future, so you have to get your CB locked up, which is why I think they might have gone Fuller whether Donald was there or not. Next year you are not getting a CB of Fullers quality in the 20's.
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Yeah I don't mind the punter pick at all. We had a need, and Emery nailed it. You can look at this pick as a defensive upgrade in the 6th. Longer punts, more downed inside the 20 makes the D better..pretty simple.

And if he can just consistently repeat his 72 yard punt that went out of bounds and the 4 then I'll be happy.:rofl2:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    If he doesn't do that then I'll consider him a bust and a bad pick how can a punter not boot at least 70 yards inbounds and have it directionally bounce out of bounds; isn't that their job?!?!?!?!?
  13. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,570 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    789ß
    That right there is my biggest argument for CB. I think we got a stud for a CB and we will hopefully pick low next year. Three arguments for Donald is the same, they go high also and we will pick low next year. Smaller chance of getting an impact DT next year also, and the fact that he picked two DT's tells me he might have had that as his top priority, and third, when you pick someone that was not your consensus top pick like he did - and he is in fact your number one choice all along, you say so, He said he was his top pick, but left it open as to whether he was his top CB pick or his overall top pick all along. I think that is something you make sure you say in no uncertain words in this situation.

That's why I still think it may have been Donald, but again, I'm not sure and in the end I think we are better off the way it came down.
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    Yep, huge bust, wasted pick...I mean if the guy can't average 70 yards per kick and down 90% of those inside the 5 then it's a huge waste when we could have just drafted a rookie pro bowler at S or LB with that pick. :bah:
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,570 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    789ß
    That's my argument. I wanted a probowl safety with the #6.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    Yep the S's and LB's had such high ceilings they got passed over 5+ times, obviously all the scouts and GM's had it wrong b/c the ESPN'rs and internet mocker's told us these guys were going to go high, amiright?
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,570 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    789ß
    My second argument was I wanted a probowl LT with the 7th
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    And you got it!!! Hell that guy is a probowl Swing T, guy is going to straight steal Mills job, then Bushrods...he's so great the team is going to go w/4OL'men, 1 C, 2 G's and a LRT
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,570 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    789ß
    I like it. This is good.
  20. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +151 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    38ß
    I totally forgot that we got him. Thanks it hell getting old.