Grading Emery's personnel moves after a year and a half.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 22, 2013.

?

What grade do you now give Emery as GM?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,123ß
    I thought we could revisit grading Emery, now that we've had a glimpse of his 2013 players in action (yes, I know the "experts" say to wait 3 years to evaluate a draft, but screw the experts - what do YOU think)?

Emery has been here almost 20 months now. Here are some of his personnel moves in that short span of time. How do you grade him?

Coaching Changes:
    Lovie Smith & most of his coaches were let go and Trestman/Kromer/Tucker/DeCamillis brought in.

2012 Draft

1 Shea McClellin - Defensive end - Boise State
    2 Alshon Jeffery - Wide receiver - South Carolina
    3 Brandon Hardin - Safety - Oregon State
    4 Evan Rodriguez - Fullback Tight End - Temple
    6 Isaiah Frey - Cornerback - Nevada
    7 Greg McCoy - Cornerback Kick Returner - TCU

2012 Some key player acquisitions
    Brandon Marshall
    Michael Bush
    Nate Collins

2013 Draft (no 3rd round pick due to the Brandon Marshall acquisition)

1 Kyle Long - Offensive tackle - Oregon
    2 Jon Bostic - Linebacker - Florida
    4 Khaseem Greene - Linebacker - Rutgers
    5 Jordan Mills - Offensive tackle - Louisiana Tech
    6 Cornelius Washington - Defensive End - Georgia
    7 Marquess Wilson - Wide Receiver - Washington State

2013 Some key player acquisitions
    Jermon Bushrod
    Martellus Bennett
    Matt Slauson
    Terrence Toliver (I sure hope this 6'5" WR makes it to our practice squad)
    Re-signed Matt Blanchard
    LB's James Anderson & D.J. Williams

I'm sure there were other significant additions, but these are all that I could think of. Help me out if you can think of some other good additions.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    Would not even attempt to give it an "A" as voted above. It's a "C" until these guys develop and prove themselves some more. Any new additions always create optimism and energy but it's got to be tempered with an unbiased eye. I'd say Emery's best moves were in expanding the scouting dept.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,297 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    349ß
    I give it a (very preliminary) "B". Lets remember that his first draft took place fresh on the job, without his chosen scouting staff in place, and with the old/failed coaching staff still entrenched. His 2nd draft looks very early on to be >> than his first and that's to be expected. And he's been dynamite in the FA And UDFA markets.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,123ß
    Has anyone adjusted their opinion of Emery at this point? I have. The more I see of his personnel moves, the more I like what I see. He's infinitely better than what we had. He seems to have the courage to make bold moves that mostly have paid off for us.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Grade him after 5 years.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Of course it's seems early but then again, a GM's job is to produce the best players available that mix the cost/talent. At this stage he's done a more than admirable attempt IMO at supplying Trestman with pieces that's up to him to assemble. Gave him a B.

Done enough to actually wash away most of the bitter after taste of the JA effect. I'd say for the time being, it's more about what Trestman does with it now.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß

Yes, my view has been adjusted somewhat. I think the newness is wearing off. I was extremely impressed with the business amd planning acumen I saw, expecially as compared to JA. He was getting a free pass from me on pretty much all counts.

At this point, I think I am taking a more well-balanced approach (I think) to him and starting to evaluate his warts as well as his strengths. We all have both and he is no exception. I like the guy. I do think he is going to emerge as one of the best GMs in the league. For the most part, he knows what he is doing. He seems to be a much better evaluator of talent (I think part of this is also actually listening to his scouts as opposed to doing what he wants because he thinks he is the best evaluator in the room as I think JA acted), he goes after issues almost immediately, and he always has a plan.

On the negative side, I see a GM that sometimes will put sending a message as a higher priority than following good business sense (the Carimi thing -- trading a person that was injured who was in a position of need before you know what he can do).

I don't like the Shea pick right now, but it is still early, and I would not call it a wasted pick -- the guy can play but not like I think they were expecting. He is both active and good in FA, he knows how to stick to a budget, etc. All in all, his positives far outweigh his negatives and I finally feel like we have a real and competent GM. There really are not too many others I would trade him for. I gave him a B because I don't agree with everything he has done (probably should be considered another positive) but in general, I think he had done very well. Addin the fact that he is really a rookie GM, and I think you really have a winner.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,634 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,123ß
    It's interesting that someone gave him an "F" in the poll. Maybe JA has an account here :)

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,195 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    571ß
    My guess on the F grade shall remain unsaid, but I'd bet money on the accuracy.

I'd go with B, though I'll throw in a few qualifiers:
    1)It's clear that he is trying to fix our cap situation through the use of 1 year contracts.
    2)He was using JA's staff for the 2012 draft.
    3)He has expanded our scouting department into one more typical of NFL franchises.
    4)He gambles too, but somehow it leaves me less nervous than JA.
    5)He isn't afraid to make tough decisions.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß

Maybe they just got confused and thought F stood for fantastic. It happens....
  11. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +166 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    82ß
    I give him a B as well. He has made some very astute FA moves and trades so far, and I think we will have three starters from each of his first two drafts, without him having a full complement of picks. If Long develops into a pro-bowler and perhaps AJ, then I think he will deserve a solid B.
  12. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,586 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    Solid B.

If McClellin pans out to be a starting DE (which isnt looking very likely), id bump it up to an A. But, a "B" is still pretty good for a brand new GM after only 2 years of wheeling and dealing. While JA showed he had ability to acquire good defensive players in the draft, his offensive picks were horrid, and his offseason moves in FA were Pitiful.

Emery has shown he has an eye for talent, picking up (what looks to be) solid contributors for where we picked in the draft, both on OFFENSE (Long, Mills, AJ), as well as defense (Bostic, Greene). And Emery's FA acquisitions are not only smart, but they fill in areas of need (BMarsh, Bush, Bushrod, Bennett).

On second though...i think Emery just REALLY likes Players whose last name starts with "B," so yeah...thats a good grade to give him.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,532 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    528ß
    The roster is still very largely JA's, and all signs point to an overhaul in this offseason. I really can't give him a grade at this point.
  14. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Coaching Changes:
    Lovie Smith & most of his coaches were let go and Trestman/Kromer/Tucker/DeCamillis brought in.

A plus for letting the Lovie staff go. This is a offense driven league and he could not even put together an average Offense

2012 Draft

1 Shea McClellin - Defensive end - Boise State -B
    2 Alshon Jeffery - Wide receiver - South Carolina - B
    3 Brandon Hardin - Safety - Oregon State- C
    4 Evan Rodriguez - Fullback Tight End - Temple - D
    6 Isaiah Frey - Cornerback - Nevada - B
    7 Greg McCoy - Cornerback Kick Returner - TCU - D

2012 Some key player acquisitions
    Brandon Marshall - A+
    Michael Bush - A
    Nate Collins- A

2013 Draft (no 3rd round pick due to the Brandon Marshall acquisition)
    Way too early to determine, but just from initial looks
    1 Kyle Long - Offensive tackle - Oregon - B+
    2 Jon Bostic - Linebacker - Florida - B+
    4 Khaseem Greene - Linebacker - Rutgers - C+
    5 Jordan Mills - Offensive tackle - Louisiana Tech - C+
    6 Cornelius Washington - Defensive End - Georgia - C
    7 Marquess Wilson - Wide Receiver - Washington State - C

2013 Some key player acquisitions
    Jermon Bushrod - A
    Martellus Bennett - B
    Matt Slauson- B
    Terrence Toliver (I sure hope this 6'5" WR makes it to our practice squad) -C
    Re-signed Matt Blanchard - C
    LB's James Anderson & D.J. Williams - C+

It is way too early, but just on my gut feeling I think he has done better than JA would have. My biggest grip with JA was his total lack to try and build an offensive line. Since 2005 the O-line has been an issue and it only got worse the longer JA was the GM.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,164ß
    My only disagreement is with this last statement. JA built as offensive a line as I have ever seen.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  16. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Okay well I'm not sure how you could give the Greene pick a C+, he's there for depth and is seen as the eventual successor to Briggs. Honestly, I'd feel a little more comfortable giving Emery a grade for all of his personnel moves after this season, because we have no idea how Trestman will do this year. The fact that he dropped Lovie and Co. warrants an A- (I hated losing Rod) because he just proved that as a HC, he couldn't get the job done.

If I HAD to give him a grade, it'd be a solid B because so far everything looks improved. We just need to see how much it has improved.
  17. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I was going to vote "B" but then I reread the question and realized, "personnel moves". Had to give him an "A". Emery has done more to improve this team in 2 years than the JA-Lovie group did in the last 5.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Greene is the eventual succesor to Briggs IMO. I bought this up at work a few days back and everyone cringed because Briggs is so good. Regarding the grade I'd give him a B as of now BUT I will wait until the end of the year and it could change.
  19. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That makes perfect sense. I don't want you thinking that I was attacking you. I only wanted to let you know his duties in case you didn't know them.
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,246 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,406ß
    I'm not going to grade him but I like your points so i'm going to piggy back off them

1) not only are you correct on this, but he's going to be letting a lot of vets walk. It's going to suck next year but the D is going to look MUCH different unless key guys are willing to take pay decreases; which most won't deserve.

2) Not only that, but he was using the same methodology that JA used b/c that was the system he had in place, which is why I won't hold that draft to much against him.

3) Not only that, but he's rebuilt the methodology on how they rank their draft board. Both are huge. The Bears went from one of the smallest scouting dept's to one of the largest.

4) He only games on the 1st round, if he can figure that out he's going to be very solid.

5) Agreed, might not like all his moves, BU, Izzy, Carimi etc but he's not going to cowtow to anyone.