Grading Emery's personnel moves after a year and a half.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 22, 2013.

?

What grade do you now give Emery as GM?

1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +717 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    GM's job
    1. have a plan.
    2. see the potential coaches/players
    3. eval that potential
    4. know how it's going to play in your plan/system
    5. execute the vision

For me Emery is doing all the above to this point so A for Angelo. :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +64 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    I gave it a solid B but i'm very worried about all the starters we have that are going to free agents after this year.
    J.Cutler
    H.Melton
    M.Wright
    C.Wootton
    C.Tillman
    T.Jennings
    J.Anderson
    These are the one's that i'm most worried about losing.
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Completely off the wall guesses here:

Cut-will be tagged if he has a good year or extended if he has a great one (with a young QB drafted in the front half)
    Melton-will be extended if he (very likely) earns it this year
    Wright-extended unless Hardin gets his shit together to play SS, o/w he will be let go
    Woot-definite extension if he stays healthy for a 2nd straight year
    Tillman-2 yr extension at lower cost than he earns currently due to age
    Jennings-allowed to walk, will draft a replacement outside CB in rounds 1/2
    Anderson (LB)-meh, hardly irreplaceable, prob gone
    Pep-prob let go, cap cost is too high
    EBennett-prob gone, too $$$ for a #3 WR who can't stay healthy, Joe Anderson or Wilson replaces him
    Garza-gone
    Slauson-extended, won't cost that much, will play G or C next year depending on Brown/draft
    Hester-gone
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Touché
  5. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    I gave him a B. Positives: Had the guts to can Lovie and move on from Urlacher, critics be damned. Expanded/restructured the scouting dept to drag us into the 21st century. Pulled Marshall and Bushrod in via FA to address MAJOR needs. Right now, I think that Jeffery, Long, Bostic and Mills are going to prove to be great draft pics. I also have high hopes for Wilson as a 7th round steal. Love his reliance on advanced analytics. I also love the "out of the box" hiring of Trestman.

Negatives: Don't think Shea is going to pan out as an effective pass rusher, and 1st round busts always kinda suck. Obviously Rodriquez was a wasted draft pick. That's about it for now.
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,720 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    Cringed? They obviously know nothing about the team. Briggs' contract is up after the 2014 season, at which point he will be 34, so it makes total sense to draft and groom his eventual replacement and give him a couple years to grow into the role.
  7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    I doubt if the NFL can ever build a team like the Ravens again.

But they can build a team like Frisco or Seattle.

And hopefully DAA BEARRSSE.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    It's really nice to see draft picks contributing early, which typically didn't happen with Lovie, as he was usually averse to playing youngsters unless they really stood out. Mills and Long held up again very well last night, which is very encouraging. Bostic looks like the real deal, and I knew when they drafted AJ we had found a gem. He was simply dominant at SC until he didn't have a QB any more. Combine these with the BM trade (brilliant), and the acquisitions of Bushrod and Bennett, and I think there are very few GMs around the league that have done as much to improve a team as Emery has in the last two years.
  9. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Not sure if your talking to me but I didn't think you we're attacking me.
  10. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You can't grade the 2013 additions until the season is over. Preseason doesn't mean anything. Until we see what they do in games that matter, there is no way to grade them.
  11. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    I agree its to early to tell but are we a better team personnel wise since he took over, without a doubt yes
  12. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +751 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    631ß
    Well he did fire Lovie Smith last year. lol
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Nah, that would most likely be CCB our resident dikhead #2.

I can give him an honest B based on making moves to improve the team from top to bottom including the coaching staff. He's done an excellent job of analyzing the teams needs and working within the cap he's gone out and found players to fill gaping holes on both sides of the ball.

I have my issue with him over how he's handled player negotiations and I have a certain lack of trust in his honesty and transparency but maybe that's the way it needs to be to get the job done. I can't let my personal issues influence what he's done to improve the team both in FA and the draft and with UDFA rookies.

Where he grades from here it totally dependent on how well this plan of his works out. I think hiring Trestman was a big risk but a necessary one. We needed an offensive mastermind far more than a defensive guru right now and that's what he got. So for the next four years he and Trestman are joined at the hip and then we'll know how well all of Emery moves have worked out. For an A grade he needs to produce championship teams, nothing less.
  14. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    SoulMan I take it you have the top spot as resident dikhead #1?
  15. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree it makes sense but I think part of it is that Briggs is such a big part of the Bears people don't want to think about him retiring or leaving Chicago. But I agree that Greene is the right guy for the job.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    I agree. And frankly it's nice to see the Bears with a GM who anticipated problems before they become a roster crisis. When Emery landed here initially, he had a number of problems dumped into his lap, and it was more than anyone could fix immediately. But he did a heck of a job patching holes and upgrading (the Brandon Marshall deal was a steal). This year, he gutted the OL and rebuilt it with a very nice mix of veteran FA's and talented draftees (Long & Mills). He's taken a horrific WR corps and made it much better and deeper in talent (my only worry there is that we can't keep all of these great young guys). People worried that the defense would suffer, but I see a defense that has gotten younger, faster, stronger and has players with high ceilings.

Everywhere you look, the team has made incredible progress in a brief time period of 18 months or so. It's amazing. I believe Emery will build upon this solid foundation NEXT season, and the team will be even better and stronger. He's got a lot of 1 year contracts, but I see that as a strength, not a weakness. Think about it. It's being thoughtful instead of "reacting" and blowing money. Emery/Trestman will evaluate this talent and keep the best of these players and let the others walk. And, they have some key young players THIS year who can step in - they will cost less cap money and they will have more upside. Young replacing old. They will draft even MORE great talent next year, and add in some key FA's to complete the roster. The team will be even stronger.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,285 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    236ß
    I like to look ahead and perhaps a bit too far. I really hope success does not breed complacency ala Lovie and co. and that they can have tactical flexibility all throughout their tenure not just during the breaking in phase. I'm pumped to see the roller-coaster go-good, bad, or indifferent.
  18. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    we should grade him after the season..see how his new head coach did in his first season.
  19. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,720 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,083ß
    And dont forget, that Emery has had nothing but lower picks to work from (19th and 20th in the round).

But....now for the flip side...Emery has basically painted himself into a corner this season, by not extending vet contracts, and by offering only 1-year deals to most of our FA acquisitions. This means that there are currently 43 (think that was the count) players on the roster whose contracts are up after this season, so some vets will be gone, and some FA pickups will head back to FA, and the whole thing has already caused discord among Bears vets who are used to the JA "reward your own" philosophy (Gould was particularly outspoken about not getting an extension).

So as good as this team may look now, it will look much different in 2014. Just have to place faith in Emery that he has a plan in place and will make the correct moves come off-season. Until then...lets hope for a playoff run in 2013.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +717 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    I don't believe he could really do any extensions to vets contracts. Do to salary cap restraints and which vets do you pick and choose not to give extensions? That to me would create more animosity among the vets, instead of just keeping them all in the same boat. Which Emery choose to do thereby creating play to pay scenario. That to me sounds like a win win for everyone but to the guy that wants to slack-off.