Great article on Da Bears defense.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ZifanQ, Oct 23, 2013.

1. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -1
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    230ß
    Ratings:
    +429 / 0 / -0
    Very well written.

The thing that jumps out at me is that all of these points have been made on this board, but they are consolidated into one article and written well.

Hey, maybe we do know what we are talking about after all! :)

• Like Like x 4
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,318ß
    Ratings:
    +4,618 / 4 / -1
    That article nailed it. This in particular is a damning statement of the Jerry Angelo era:

I realized the "home grown" talent during the Angelo era was disappointing. But I didn't realize just how badly the team talent was, until this year. Emery had a pile of crap dumped into his lap. Like others, I give him a pass on the first draft due to the fact it was just after we hired him, and he didn't have time to get his upgrades in place for the scouting department. This past year we saw what he could do, once that upgrade was in place. It was very impressive. I will always wonder if the Shea pick was pushed by Lovie, and Emery wanted to give Lovie every opportunity to prove that he could be a solid coach.

I agree with the writer. It's a major upgrade project for Emery. And as much as I would love to draft a young QB, how do you do that in light of a defense in ruin?

4. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    825ß
    Ratings:
    +1,060 / 0 / -0
    Sad, but true.
    I'm with you on this, 99. I just don't see us grabbing a future QB with all the needs we have on D. I was hoping the demise of the D would have waited another year or two, but a couple injuries have really shown how little talent JA left us with.

As far as Shea, my thinking is Emery gave Lovie every thing he wanted, so Lovie could sink or swim. He sank. Although again, injuries. But JA really handcuffed this team. Not only did Emery walk in to a lack of talent, and the wrong draft board, but he was left with little cap space and way too few draft picks. We were short on picks this year, and will be next year as well. I think it's 2015 before we're done with JA's ineptitude in the draft.

• Like Like x 2
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    230ß
    Ratings:
    +429 / 0 / -0
    It truly is amazing that if you look at our rosterThere really is not a lot left of JAs tenure here.

So the picks that are starters and worth a spot on the team:
    Wootton, Forte, Paea, Tillman, and Briggs

The picks that have contributed in a good way:
    Earl Bennett, Devin Hester

The picks that are on the team, but I think they could be replaced if they were not here:
    Wright, Steltz, Bowman, and Conte.

I'm not sure how many drafts JA was in charge for, but this is pretty damn pathetic.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -0
    only thing with which I disagree is his effusive praise for the offense. Is the offense improved? Yes. Is the OL vastly improved? Yes. Is our offense officially "formidable" YET? No, not even close. We have all seen the same woefully inconsistent offense which struggles to string together 4 (or hell, even 3) consecutive quarters of efficient play. Thus far this season, the BEST our offense has looked was in that 2nd half against the Redskins, but then again: a-it DOES seem to wake up after halftime and b-the Redskins' defense is GOD AWFUL. Regardless, the primary thrust of the article is spot on. Emery must now focus on rebuilding the defense, while we all hope that the offense continues to improve (to the point where one day it might actually be considered "formidable") under Trestman.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -0
    I really wish we could pump some truth serum into Emery and learn, ONCE AND FOR ALL, just how responsible he was for the McClellin pic, lol. I REALLY want to believe that he was "hoodwinked" into taking him; I really do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    523ß
    Ratings:
    +1,228 / 1 / -0
    I really don't blame Emery that much for the McClellin pick either way. Whether it was or wasn't influence from Lovie, Emery joined the team late enough in the off season that his hands were full of all kinds of leftovers from the Angelo/Lovie regime and there really was not sufficient time for him to do a full evaluation of team needs and draft analysis. I don't care who your talking about or which team is involved, when someone comes to the party late, you really can't hold their feet to the fire for that first draft, there are just too many other dynamics at play. Now, if he had blown this last draft as well (which it really doesn't look like he did), then we could hold him accountable, but from what I've seen, his 2013 draft made me feel a helluva lot better about his wisdom. That is not something I could have said right after the draft...I was pissed, but the crow tasted pretty good.

• Like Like x 3
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,050ß
    Ratings:
    +1,959 / 2 / -0
    This was a great article and neatly wraps up the realistic situation. I do give credit to Emery for putting together a respectable NFL offense and now we will see if he can do it on the other side of the ball (a major rebuild on the fly). I can't give him a pass on the Shea pick though. I'm sure Lovie had a negative influence there and I know Emery was new on the job and without his scouting department in place yet, but ultimately he is responsible for the draft choices. And his first draft was an epic fail outside of Alshon. Frey may become a decent late round utility player but Shea, Hardin, and ERod were all terrible busts.

Emery is going to need to have another offseason like the one he just had prior to this season--mainly on the defensive side of the ball. I'm talking roster management, FA choices (both outside and inside), and a very solid draft. The "silver lining good news" in this dumpster fire is that players like Cutler, Melton, Wooton, and Tillman/Jennings (I assume we will retain one of them and let the other go) should be re-sign-able for far cheaper than it looked like 2 months ago. Other than that the roster needs a major overhaul of personnel.

I would release Peppers for sure. Even after accounting for his dead cap hit, doing so frees up millions more in space and there's no way you can pay a guy $15 million who is no longer an impact player.

I'd keep one starting cornerback, whoever is more economical (that may be Jennings if Tillman can't stay healthy).

Why are we paying $3 million to a backup RB we hardly ever use? Release or trade Bush and give some much cheaper draftee/udfa/Ford a shot there.

Earl Bennett, Hester, Costanzo, Weems...let all four go.

Between DJW and Anderson, I'd keep one on a cheap deal (probably Anderson).

Major Wright is not worth re-signing unless dirt cheap. Conte has another year on his rookie deal left so I'd keep him but bring in competition for FS in training camp.

Shea needs to be moved to SLB. He can backup there and play ST while he learns it. If that experiment flops in the offseason, then cut him. I doubt he has much trade value with a 1st round contract and the "bust label" hung on him. Maybe just maybe you could squeeze a late round pick out of someone like with Carimi.

So between FA and the draft, Emery needs to find 2 DLs, a CB, a S, a 2nd string TE who can catch, and depth players at LB all before we start talking about "future development" stuff.

• Like Like x 6
  10. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Ratings:
    +400 / 1 / -0
    well said,MPbears. Well said.