Great Defense > Great Offense (Emery has a lot of work to do if we are to WIN a Super Bowl)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 3, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,318ß
    Ratings:
    +4,619 / 4 / -1
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Six times the #1 NFL offense has played the #1 defense in the Super Bowl. The team with the best defense has won all but 1 of those matchups. In fact, of the top 10 NFL offenses ever that played, only one actually won the Super Bowl - 9 of them LOST in the playoffs or in the Super Bowl itself.

Denver was the best scoring offense in NFL history - almost 100 years of football history - and they got stomped like roadkill by a stellar defense.

I realize we have a good offense and a good QB in Jay Cutler. But if our goal is to WIN a super bowl, then Emery has a lot of work to do with this defense - and Mel Tucker better be "The Man" they think he is. Otherwise we're just pissing in the wind, here in Chicago.

1. DENVER this season, 606 points. Postseason result: Playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. Lost 43 - 8.

2. NEW ENGLAND 2007 season, 589 points. Result: Lost to NY Giants in Super Bowl 42.

3. GREEN BAY 2011 season, 560 points. Result: Lost to NY Giants in divisional round.

4. NEW ENGLAND 2012 season, 557 points. Result: Lost to Baltimore Ravens in AFC Championship Game.

5. MINNESOTA 1998 season, 556 points. Result: Lost to Atlanta in the NFC Championship Game.

6. NEW ORLEANS 2011 season, 547 points. Result: Lost to the 49ers in the NFC divisional round.

7. WASHINGTON 1983 season, 541 points. Result: Lost to the L.A. Raiders in Super Bowl XVIII.

8. ST. LOUIS RAMS 2000 season, 540 points. Result: Lost to New Orleans in the NFC wild-card round.

9. ST. LOUIS RAMS 1999 season, 526 points. Result: WON SUPER BOWL XXXIV over Tennessee.

10. INDIANAPOLIS 2004 season, 522 points. Result: Lost to New England in the AFC divisional round.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,140ß
    Ratings:
    +4,551 / 10 / -8
    Point, don't have the best D or best O, b/c the chances are you are only going to face and win 10 SB's out of almost 50. Better to have a complete team.

• Like Like x 1
  3. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    41ß
    Ratings:
    +220 / 0 / -0
    Balance is the key here. You DO have to have a top notch "D" AND "O" but not the BEST in order to win it all. Play-calling is a important factor as well and good ST play is important too. ALL 3 phases factor in.

4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,318ß
    Ratings:
    +4,619 / 4 / -1
    I completely agree that is the ideal. Our '85 Bears were an example. They were the #1 defense in the NFL, and the #2 scoring offense in the NFL. But those teams are extremely rare. And I totally agree that you don't have to have a #1 ranked offense or defense to win a Super Bowl. But as I watched the game yesterday, I realized how far our team is away from being a Super Bowl winner. It was a "reality check" for me that Jay Cutler, along with the Mel Tucker defense, probably isn't going to win us a Super Bowl until Emery can do some MAJOR upgrades to our defense. Until then, we're delusional if we think we're going to win championships here in Chicago. Phil Emery has a lot of work to do, and I really hope Mel Tucker is "The Guy" that Emery/Trestman seem to believe he is. Heck I'm still hoping Shea McClellen is the stud LB folks think he will be this season. We'll see.

I absolutely LOVED watching that Seattle defense turn the #1 all-time best offense into roadkill. It was a thing of beauty to watch. Dominance like we used to have here in Chicago. Men against boys.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Ratings:
    +75 / 1 / -0
    Balance is the key. Broncos had a bad offense, a bad defense, bad Special teams and I think coaching wasn't good too.

Seahawks were/are complete. They have it all. OLine, weapons and a good young QB. A good secondary and front 7. They scored on Special teams too.

6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,318ß
    Ratings:
    +4,619 / 4 / -1
    The Broncos were #19 in defense, #1 in offense.
    The Seahawks were #1 in defense, #8 in offense.

These were both good teams. I agree 100% that ideally you have to have balance. We were the poster boys for imbalance. All defense under Lovie. All offense under Trestman (so far).

• Like Like x 1
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,826ß
    Ratings:
    +2,226 / 1 / -0
    The point is that Seattle was a more balanced team. They were excellent on defense and pretty damn good on offense too. Denver on the other hand was excellent on just offense and mediocre on defense. Who did you think would win?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,826ß
    Ratings:
    +2,226 / 1 / -0
    I hated watching it because I had no dog in the fight and wanted a good game. It was anything but.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,318ß
    Ratings:
    +4,619 / 4 / -1
    I was sooooo envious of that Seattle team. It reminded me of when we had that in Chicago. When we could go out at just dominate and humiliate - even the most powerful opponents. They were like bugs hitting our windshield. Back then, we were like what we saw Seattle do to the most powerful offense in the history of the NFL Sunday. But now? Now we get swept by the lowly Detroit Lions, and the team watches the Super Bowl on their TV's from home. No playoffs here. No division championships anymore. We have a defense that is a joke. A bad joke.

Is there hope? Sure. But we'll probably be a couple of years rebuilding an NFL-quality defense. Hope Mel has the gears to build a respectable defense here in Chicago.

10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,826ß
    Ratings:
    +2,226 / 1 / -0
    I think that's a bit over dramatic. I don't think we're years away, I think we're a couple of HEALTHY players and a signing here or there away.