Great Defense > Great Offense (Emery has a lot of work to do if we are to WIN a Super Bowl)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 3, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    Six times the #1 NFL offense has played the #1 defense in the Super Bowl. The team with the best defense has won all but 1 of those matchups. In fact, of the top 10 NFL offenses ever that played, only one actually won the Super Bowl - 9 of them LOST in the playoffs or in the Super Bowl itself.

Denver was the best scoring offense in NFL history - almost 100 years of football history - and they got stomped like roadkill by a stellar defense.

I realize we have a good offense and a good QB in Jay Cutler. But if our goal is to WIN a super bowl, then Emery has a lot of work to do with this defense - and Mel Tucker better be "The Man" they think he is. Otherwise we're just pissing in the wind, here in Chicago.

1. DENVER this season, 606 points. Postseason result: Playing Seattle in the Super Bowl. Lost 43 - 8.

2. NEW ENGLAND 2007 season, 589 points. Result: Lost to NY Giants in Super Bowl 42.

3. GREEN BAY 2011 season, 560 points. Result: Lost to NY Giants in divisional round.

4. NEW ENGLAND 2012 season, 557 points. Result: Lost to Baltimore Ravens in AFC Championship Game.

5. MINNESOTA 1998 season, 556 points. Result: Lost to Atlanta in the NFC Championship Game.

6. NEW ORLEANS 2011 season, 547 points. Result: Lost to the 49ers in the NFC divisional round.

7. WASHINGTON 1983 season, 541 points. Result: Lost to the L.A. Raiders in Super Bowl XVIII.

8. ST. LOUIS RAMS 2000 season, 540 points. Result: Lost to New Orleans in the NFC wild-card round.

9. ST. LOUIS RAMS 1999 season, 526 points. Result: WON SUPER BOWL XXXIV over Tennessee.

10. INDIANAPOLIS 2004 season, 522 points. Result: Lost to New England in the AFC divisional round.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,000 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,027ß
    Point, don't have the best D or best O, b/c the chances are you are only going to face and win 10 SB's out of almost 50. Better to have a complete team.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Balance is the key here. You DO have to have a top notch "D" AND "O" but not the BEST in order to win it all. Play-calling is a important factor as well and good ST play is important too. ALL 3 phases factor in.
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    I completely agree that is the ideal. Our '85 Bears were an example. They were the #1 defense in the NFL, and the #2 scoring offense in the NFL. But those teams are extremely rare. And I totally agree that you don't have to have a #1 ranked offense or defense to win a Super Bowl. But as I watched the game yesterday, I realized how far our team is away from being a Super Bowl winner. It was a "reality check" for me that Jay Cutler, along with the Mel Tucker defense, probably isn't going to win us a Super Bowl until Emery can do some MAJOR upgrades to our defense. Until then, we're delusional if we think we're going to win championships here in Chicago. Phil Emery has a lot of work to do, and I really hope Mel Tucker is "The Guy" that Emery/Trestman seem to believe he is. Heck I'm still hoping Shea McClellen is the stud LB folks think he will be this season. We'll see.

I absolutely LOVED watching that Seattle defense turn the #1 all-time best offense into roadkill. It was a thing of beauty to watch. Dominance like we used to have here in Chicago. Men against boys.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Balance is the key. Broncos had a bad offense, a bad defense, bad Special teams and I think coaching wasn't good too.

Seahawks were/are complete. They have it all. OLine, weapons and a good young QB. A good secondary and front 7. They scored on Special teams too.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    The Broncos were #19 in defense, #1 in offense.
    The Seahawks were #1 in defense, #8 in offense.

These were both good teams. I agree 100% that ideally you have to have balance. We were the poster boys for imbalance. All defense under Lovie. All offense under Trestman (so far).
    • Like Like x 1
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    The point is that Seattle was a more balanced team. They were excellent on defense and pretty damn good on offense too. Denver on the other hand was excellent on just offense and mediocre on defense. Who did you think would win?
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    I hated watching it because I had no dog in the fight and wanted a good game. It was anything but.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    I was sooooo envious of that Seattle team. It reminded me of when we had that in Chicago. When we could go out at just dominate and humiliate - even the most powerful opponents. They were like bugs hitting our windshield. Back then, we were like what we saw Seattle do to the most powerful offense in the history of the NFL Sunday. But now? Now we get swept by the lowly Detroit Lions, and the team watches the Super Bowl on their TV's from home. No playoffs here. No division championships anymore. We have a defense that is a joke. A bad joke.

Is there hope? Sure. But we'll probably be a couple of years rebuilding an NFL-quality defense. Hope Mel has the gears to build a respectable defense here in Chicago.
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    I think that's a bit over dramatic. I don't think we're years away, I think we're a couple of HEALTHY players and a signing here or there away.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,000 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,027ß
    Our O was not near as good as theirs, and they have less weapons, and our D isn't even playing the same game. The Bears are not, barring devastating inj's, even close to competing w/SF let alone Sea.
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    What?! We were second in the league in points scored, 8th in yards, 5th in passing yards. Seattle was 8th in points, 17th in yards, and 26th in passing. They had us in rushing. Let's not get hysterical here...the Seahawks were not better than us on offense.
  13. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    As is typical in a blow out.. the winner isn't as good as they look and the losers not as bad. I live in the Seattle area and have watched the Hawks all season. They are not the 85 Bears but they are a damn good unit. They are made up of late round draft picks and free agent signings. No reason why we couldn't get lucky with the same tactics.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bear_40

Bear_40 Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Yesterday, to me anyway, proved our D has a long way to go. Not just in terms of talent, but also drive and desire. The Seahawks attacked and just kept sacrificing themselves physically to win, that comes for both talent and especially coaching. They imposed their will on the Broncos plain and simple. We have some work to do.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    The Broncos surely let them. Hard to defend the first snap going into the end zone for a safety. That had nothing to do with the Hawks. Not to take away from a great performance but it is hard to separate one from the other. You don't know how much was dominance vs. the opponent rolling over.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,392 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    812ß
    I believe we can get better this coming season on defense. I'm hoping for the best. But it's not going to be a simple one off-season fix and it's all "good" again. We're looking at a major rebuild of the defense. We still don't know (for certain) that Mel is "The Guy" who can fix the defense. Hope so, but it remains to be seen. If that's "over dramatic" then so be it. I'm in that wait and see mode. I'm through getting all giddy over players or coaches until they prove they can deliver. We have guys who have proven themselves on the offense. Just like we had those guys on defense under Lovie Smith. Now let's see if we can get a decent defense with Trestman's wonderful offense. Then maybe we can actually win some championships here in Chicago before I die of old age - I'm an old geezer now so they better hurry:)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,197 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    I'd say fix the D line first then the safety's. Re-sign Peanut. Get a DT, DE, and SS in FA then lather, rinse, repeat in the draft. That's probably as much as can be done with getting another TE, OC, and/or slot player in mind.
  18. Cutthroat6

Cutthroat6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The question with the Seahawks now is, are they still hungry? Do they still have that chip on there shoulders?
  19. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Great D with just a reasonable O is the perfect formula, but you can't just make a team on paper. Other teams have won with an even better O and a D that is good if not outstanding.

One thing about Denver's D is the effect of injuries. They lost their best CB (Harris), a good D line player (Wolfe) and their best sack guy (Miler) and were still reasonable on D when put in the right situations (ie, with another team concerned about Manning and without a team playing as smart as Seattle did). See how they stopped the run pretty well and forced 3rd down and medium yardage and then lacked the shut down corner play or the QB pressure to make it work. If they were fit on D they might have at least given their O a chance to find a way to get something on going. Take away the safety that really counted for 5 points (2 plus the FG), the Pick 6 and the Special teams TD and you take 19 off the score and it might have been a game where both teams scored in the 20's.

Which brings me to my next point. Special Teams are crucial. In fact the best way to win a superbowl with an unbalanced team is to have an edge on special teams.

The other thing to focus on is as good as Denver's offense has been with QB play, solid play at RB and elite receiving they came unstuck on the O line. Their O tackles (bad RT and bad back up at LT) were exploited. Of course if the receivers could get open quicker or they could run the ball more efficiently then it wouldn't have mattered but we have to keep improving our O line.

We are going to struggle to beat the likes of Seattle, Carolina and SF whilst they have these dominant D's and above average young QB's doing well on O. But in a couple of years the salary cap will impact them so now is certainly the time to keep our O strong and build the D. Seattle showed how quickly a defense can be built with the right drafting and coaching. Lets hope we can do the same.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,221 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    Lets not overstate this like so many analysts are doing in the immediate aftermath (that "defense wins every time"). It was ONE game and not "proof" of anything. Yes, the Seattle D was dominant and impressive. But the Denver O also picked the worst possible time to have their worst game of the year by far. Their OL was a dumpster fire from the first snap. Their O game plan sucked. Their running game was non-existent. Manning (despite a record number of completions) had a horrible game--happy feet, inaccurate passes, turnovers, rattled back there.

Seattle outplayed them by far in ALL THREE phases and that was with Lynch having a very pedestrian game. The seattle O is a pretty potent unit themselves with Harvin back in there. There was way more to it than "the best D winning over the best O".
    • Like Like x 1