Great Defense > Great Offense (Emery has a lot of work to do if we are to WIN a Super Bowl)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 3, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    MP, I thought the Seattle defense took apart the Denver offense with surgical precision - all game long. It was men against boys. I agree with you that this doesn't mean that this is proof that a great D will always beat a great O. But I do believe it underscores the importance of the defense for a championship winning team. So many fans are all about the offense now, and fail to realize that a solid defense is important too. I think this is especially important in Chicago as we move forward. If we truly expect to overtake Green Bay and be dominant in our division, and certainly if we expect to WIN a Super Bowl, then we do need to have a respectable defense that can handle not only Aaron Rodgers, but also the other better offenses that we will need to get past to win a Super Bowl. That's my 2-cents worth here. Jay Cutler's arm will only take us so far. We've seen that.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    It's hard to determine really because Denver fell behind so quickly that their offense really became predicatable. Thats not hard to defend.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Seattle's defense just ripped and gutted the #1 scoring offense in the history of the NFL - best offense in almost 100 years of NFL football - and led by (arguably) the best quarterback ever to play the game. They took them out with surgical precision the entire Super Bowl. If you want to believe that's not hard to do then that's fine. But I'm thinking we witnessed a very special defense perform with the perfection of a fine Swiss watch. I was so envious watching that defense. It reminded me a lot of the defenses we had in the mid-80s, especially '85 and '86.
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I thought they had a great plan and played great don't get me wrong...but at a certain point Denvers offense was predictable. It's not hard to defend a predictable offense when you have the talent to do so. Denver's line played awful, and they got pressure on manning where you need to get pressure on manning...in his face. I think we're going a little over board with the whole thing...thats all I'm saying.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    I agree. Once you cripple an offense it's like the law of the jungle when a predator takes out a victim animal. It's like watching one of those nature shows where the predator hamstrings the poor victim animal, and then calmly eats the poor animal alive. Just like Seattle did to Denver. Hamstrung 'em early, and ate 'em the rest of the game. Yum :)

Just like we used to do that to other teams when we had great defenses in Chicago.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +987 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I believe it underscores the importance of being strong in ALL facets of the game so you have a shot at beating another good team in multiple ways, however the opportunity presents itself. Even after a disastrous start for the Denver O (a safety, a 3 & out, and a pick), it was still only a one score game at 8-0. With a record-setting offense that was hardly an insurmountable lead. Yes, a great Seattle D played a big role no doubt, but the point remains that Denver did nothing on offense to give themselves a shot. Even a measly FG there would have put them within a TD of taking the lead and provided an emotional lift.

A one-dimensional team (mostly anyway) can be beat rather easily if that one dimension has a bad outing and makes key mistakes the other team capitalizes on. And I would say the Denver "dimension" flopped miserably to start the game. Basically, they turned the ball over on 3 of their first 4 possessions and all 3 gave Seattle points (a safety, a FG, and a pick-6).

We went to the SB in '06 on the strength of a great D, amazing ST production, and with a pretty weak offense. Even with a KO return TD, we lost despite the defense playing pretty well. I see the lessons from Sunday less that "you have to have an elite defense" and more that "you need consistent strength all around" to maximize your chances of winning. The Seattle O and ST would have beat Denver Sunday even if their D had surrendered many more points and been less than "utterly dominant". They won handily in all three phases. Let's not forget that the Seattle O was top-10 last season even with Harvin missing nearly the whole year. They simply don't turn the ball over much.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Excellent way to describe it. This is the formula for winning a Super Bowl now in the NFL. I keep thinking that Emery and Trestman are smart guys and "get it" as far as what they have to do here in Chicago to win a Super Bowl. It's going to take more than just signing Jay Cutler. It's going to take more than just having a good offense (there are a number of rock solid offenses in the NFL). To win a Super Bowl (and frankly to move past Green Bay and re-claim the division championships again) it's going to take a complete package. The "real deal" to win championships is more than just having the offense-equivalent of the Angelo/Lovie teams that were solid on defense. It will be interesting to see if Emery/Trestman have the gears to get us to where we want to go here in Chicago.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I think you're starting to see a little bit of that here. What does Emery want in defensive players? Versatility. What do all of Seattle's defensive players have? Versatility. Their ends play tackle at times, their ends play linebacker at times, their linebackers play end at times, and their safeties are big enough to be linebackers. They are extremely versatile!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    218ß
    lol their rb's play cb :)
  10. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Amen brother! I was neutral when it came to Seattle. However I am anti-Broncos (especially since the Tebow days) and Manning's "god like" persona is just too annoying. So of course I rooted for the SeaHawks and to watched them systematically shut down the Broncos was awesome.

What's really depressing is when I look at our QB Ratings, I think if we had even last years Defense, we could have gotten to the final four. Both Jay and Josh are ranked higher than Wilson.

Again, Defense wins games. However, you have to have at least an average, or above average Offense as well. Last year we were brutalized on Offense even with a strong D.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +987 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Don't get me wrong--I'm not taking anything away from the Seattle D. They were awesome and smothering no doubt. But just like you can say their D "won it" you can also legitimately say that the Denver O "lost it". They were horrible. Their OL sucked. Moreno did nothing. Manning turned the ball over 3 times and hit virtually nothing except underneath dump-offs. I know great D played a big role in that but also the NFL's #1 O of all time vastly underperformed expectations.

Denver's problem IMO was that they came in pretty much a one-dimensional team. They had a record-setting offense coupled with a marginal defense and a terrible ST unit (worst kick coverage team in the NFL and it burned them, snuffing out whatever little hope remained to open the 3rd Q). When their offense misfired, they had nothing to fall back on and were quickly trucked out of the game. It's just hard to beat a great team when you're relying almost exclusively on one phase to win. If that unit stumbles (and it can't be a well-oiled machine EVERY time), you're pretty much sunk.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I don't know what some fans expect outta Emery, no one nails every pick and some "sure things" end up being wastes of roster space. Aaron Curry comes to mind, touted as the safest pick in his respective draft but where the hell is he now? Wasting away on Oaklands roster, last I heard. Emery turned our WR position around in one offseason and the next he turned our pathetic offensive line into a position of strength. He's loaded the roster with capable coaches and given the offense the stability on we (and Cutler) have been craving. I'm not saying he's the GOAT of GM's but I think he's done a simply extraordinary job thus far. I'm looking forward to seeing how this FA period plays out and if our last two are any indicator, he won't sit idly by watching potential contributors sign elsewhere. I think we'll sign some value guys and have another solid draft. As I said, every pick isn't going to be a contributer ASAP and people who want Bostic and Greene to be surefire starters after being thrown into the lineup much ahead of schedule are dreaming. I'm not saying they're bonafide All-Pro players but give them more than a year to see what we're working . Some players take time to develop and now that we actually are going out and getting coaches worth their salt I have confidence in our ability to actually develop players we bring within. People like Cornelius Washington are guys we might see starting to produce 2-3 down the road but those who were upset with his production seem to forget where he was drafted. It's easy to be an arm chair GM but from what I've seen of Emery I'm definitely optimistic of our future. Some things could he have handled differently? Yes, but it's a learning experience and I think our arrow is pointing up. I don't care who's in our middle, DJ Williams, Jon Bostic, or Brian Urlacher on a final contract.. if you lose your playmakers at DT the whole defense falls apart. We're built on getting pressure with that front four and anytime losing 2-3 starters at DT is going to feel the consequences. Urlacher always played much better when there were big boys in front of him taking up the blocks and letting him roam, we didn't have that this year and I don't think many linebackers would have flourished behind our DL. Now if Emery bombs these next draft picks on defense and the next couple drafts are bad.. then we can start hating on him but as of right now I'd say he's done enough to earn my trust. In the draft there is no such thing as a sure fire pick seeing as so many factors come into play like scheme, coaches developing talent, and the players around the said draft pick. Right now, I'm pumped to see how free agency plays out and even more excited to see how we spend these picks. I love that Emery isn't scared to gamble on a player but he also doesn't waste every pick on risky projects. He doesn't break the bank in free agency but at the same time he doesn't sit idly by claiming all is well. He's always looking to improve and it doesn't matter if it's the first day of free agency or the middle of the season, he's always on the search to make our roster stronger.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    I agree with your post and so far I'm very hopeful that Emery will be a good GM here. As far as what I expect of him, I expect him to build a team that wins a Super Bowl.

I don't expect this to happen overnight, but I do expect to see significant, ongoing progress towards that goal until it is achieved. I'm a "results oriented" person. He either brings a championship to Chicago, or he fails like the guys before him did since 1985. I don't expect every draft pick to be a home run. But I don't believe in excuses for not building a champion here in Chicago.

The bottom-line is that I am hopeful that Emery/Trestman > Angelo/Lovie, and will bring a Super Bowl win to Chicago. I'm just waiting and watching.
  14. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +777 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    188ß
    It all comes down to coaching. We still have players who are loyal to Lovie. Shit you can see it in their play. What happened to swarming to the ball? Players were slow to tackle and respond to a runner coming at them.

The longer Lovie is away, and we get new players, performance will improve just by that factor alone.

Lovie was too nice. Players don't always understand that has it's bad side. Who didn't want a parent that never yelled at them growing up.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    I'm not sure what it is, but that could be it. I do believe the defense will be better and soon. I think half of my depression is due to the shock of seeing us tank, and not be able to beat some pretty bad teams to get into the playoffs. The Green Bay loss just killed me........it was the worst GB team we've seen in years, and the worst we'll see them probably for years to come. What an opportunity blown the last part of the season. Then the other half of the shock, was watching the best teams in the playoffs (especially Seattle) and realizing just how much difference there is between where we are now - and how far we need to go to get to a Seattle level. It was a stone-cold reality check for me. I'm still depressed...seriously. It was like a big kick in the groin. I'm telling ya, if Mel Tucker doesn't fulfill Emery/Trestman's claims as "The Guy" to get our D untracked, then I'm gonna REALLY be ticked, because that just will set the team back another year. New DC in 2015, and we start all over there. I'm trying REALLY HARD to keep the faith here.....but I am struggling.
  16. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,157 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Anybody else hear them say the safety was the "fastest score in SB history?" I believe Hester's opening SB kickoff was the fastest.
  17. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Hester's touch-back took 14 seconds (which is hard to believe, IMO). The Seahawk's scored in 12 seconds or under in both the 1st half and the 2nd half.
  18. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    By the way, I have a question for anybody that can answer it.

So Bostic played MLB last season but we all know Emery talked about him maybe being better suited for an OLB. My question is, what is the skillset difference between a Sam LB and a Will LB. I know the difference in alignment, but just wondering if what the difference in skillset and responsibilities is I guess. Not sure if that makes sense.

And back to Bostic, if he is a better fit at OLB, would it be at the Will or Sam position? Was he drafted as Brigg's or Urlacher's replacement?
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I think if it's OLB it's at the Will, but I think he would be a fine MLB as well. It's hard to gauge this year because he didn't exactly have a great d-line in front of him. I seem to remember another MLB we had who had trouble shedding blocks until we put some big legit defensive tackles in front of him. Part of his and Greene's problem in my estimation was over running plays...this to me is very fixable.
  20. kdbrich

kdbrich Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    A great offense GOT them to the Super Bowl though....right? I seem to recall the Colts beating the Bears when we had a great defense, bad offense, and the Colts had a great offense, bad defense.