Great Defense > Great Offense (Emery has a lot of work to do if we are to WIN a Super Bowl)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 3, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,494ß
    MP, I thought the Seattle defense took apart the Denver offense with surgical precision - all game long. It was men against boys. I agree with you that this doesn't mean that this is proof that a great D will always beat a great O. But I do believe it underscores the importance of the defense for a championship winning team. So many fans are all about the offense now, and fail to realize that a solid defense is important too. I think this is especially important in Chicago as we move forward. If we truly expect to overtake Green Bay and be dominant in our division, and certainly if we expect to WIN a Super Bowl, then we do need to have a respectable defense that can handle not only Aaron Rodgers, but also the other better offenses that we will need to get past to win a Super Bowl. That's my 2-cents worth here. Jay Cutler's arm will only take us so far. We've seen that.

#21 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,898ß
    It's hard to determine really because Denver fell behind so quickly that their offense really became predicatable. Thats not hard to defend.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,494ß
    Seattle's defense just ripped and gutted the #1 scoring offense in the history of the NFL - best offense in almost 100 years of NFL football - and led by (arguably) the best quarterback ever to play the game. They took them out with surgical precision the entire Super Bowl. If you want to believe that's not hard to do then that's fine. But I'm thinking we witnessed a very special defense perform with the perfection of a fine Swiss watch. I was so envious watching that defense. It reminded me a lot of the defenses we had in the mid-80s, especially '85 and '86.

4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,898ß
    I thought they had a great plan and played great don't get me wrong...but at a certain point Denvers offense was predictable. It's not hard to defend a predictable offense when you have the talent to do so. Denver's line played awful, and they got pressure on manning where you need to get pressure on manning...in his face. I think we're going a little over board with the whole thing...thats all I'm saying.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,494ß
    I agree. Once you cripple an offense it's like the law of the jungle when a predator takes out a victim animal. It's like watching one of those nature shows where the predator hamstrings the poor victim animal, and then calmly eats the poor animal alive. Just like Seattle did to Denver. Hamstrung 'em early, and ate 'em the rest of the game. Yum :)

Just like we used to do that to other teams when we had great defenses in Chicago.

6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,153ß
    I believe it underscores the importance of being strong in ALL facets of the game so you have a shot at beating another good team in multiple ways, however the opportunity presents itself. Even after a disastrous start for the Denver O (a safety, a 3 & out, and a pick), it was still only a one score game at 8-0. With a record-setting offense that was hardly an insurmountable lead. Yes, a great Seattle D played a big role no doubt, but the point remains that Denver did nothing on offense to give themselves a shot. Even a measly FG there would have put them within a TD of taking the lead and provided an emotional lift.

A one-dimensional team (mostly anyway) can be beat rather easily if that one dimension has a bad outing and makes key mistakes the other team capitalizes on. And I would say the Denver "dimension" flopped miserably to start the game. Basically, they turned the ball over on 3 of their first 4 possessions and all 3 gave Seattle points (a safety, a FG, and a pick-6).

We went to the SB in '06 on the strength of a great D, amazing ST production, and with a pretty weak offense. Even with a KO return TD, we lost despite the defense playing pretty well. I see the lessons from Sunday less that "you have to have an elite defense" and more that "you need consistent strength all around" to maximize your chances of winning. The Seattle O and ST would have beat Denver Sunday even if their D had surrendered many more points and been less than "utterly dominant". They won handily in all three phases. Let's not forget that the Seattle O was top-10 last season even with Harvin missing nearly the whole year. They simply don't turn the ball over much.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,494ß
    Excellent way to describe it. This is the formula for winning a Super Bowl now in the NFL. I keep thinking that Emery and Trestman are smart guys and "get it" as far as what they have to do here in Chicago to win a Super Bowl. It's going to take more than just signing Jay Cutler. It's going to take more than just having a good offense (there are a number of rock solid offenses in the NFL). To win a Super Bowl (and frankly to move past Green Bay and re-claim the division championships again) it's going to take a complete package. The "real deal" to win championships is more than just having the offense-equivalent of the Angelo/Lovie teams that were solid on defense. It will be interesting to see if Emery/Trestman have the gears to get us to where we want to go here in Chicago.

• Like Like x 1
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,898ß
    I think you're starting to see a little bit of that here. What does Emery want in defensive players? Versatility. What do all of Seattle's defensive players have? Versatility. Their ends play tackle at times, their ends play linebacker at times, their linebackers play end at times, and their safeties are big enough to be linebackers. They are extremely versatile!

• Like Like x 1
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,550ß
    lol their rb's play cb :)

10. phatdude

phatdude Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    107ß
    Amen brother! I was neutral when it came to Seattle. However I am anti-Broncos (especially since the Tebow days) and Manning's "god like" persona is just too annoying. So of course I rooted for the SeaHawks and to watched them systematically shut down the Broncos was awesome.

What's really depressing is when I look at our QB Ratings, I think if we had even last years Defense, we could have gotten to the final four. Both Jay and Josh are ranked higher than Wilson.

Again, Defense wins games. However, you have to have at least an average, or above average Offense as well. Last year we were brutalized on Offense even with a strong D.