Green shoes for Brandon Marshall (promising a double fine)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Oct 9, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,214ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall will wear green shoes in Thursday night's game against the New York Giants, promising to double the fine that is sure to come for violating the NFL's uniform policy.

[​IMG]
    Brandon Marshall will wear green shoes Thursday in support of his foundation, which focuses on mental illness, and promises to pay double the fine he receives from the NFL.
    During a month in which many NFL players are wearing pink shoes, gloves and wristbands to support breast cancer awareness, Marshall will go green in support of his own foundation, which focuses on mental illness.

Marshall was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder in 2011. In going green, Marshall is sensitive about not wanting to steal the thunder of the message being sent by those wearing pink.

"I'm going to get fined and I'm going to match that, and we want to partner with a cancer-care [charity]," Marshall said. "We're still working on the details to give, really give back to an organization that is doing work in the mental health area. [Also], the diagnosis of breast cancer can hit families hard. It affects all of us."

The eight-year veteran expressed frustration after Sunday's loss to the New Orleans Saints, a game in which he had just four catches for 30 yards and was targeted only five times.

"They aren't paying me $10 million just to not make a play," Marshall said Tuesday, explaining how his personal frustrations have the team's best interest in mind. "Now it's what do you do with that frustration? What do you do when you're angry? Do you blow up? Are you a distraction in the locker room? Are you a cancer? Or do you communicate the right way?

"There are still some things I fail at. The first few weeks, coach [Marc] Trestman called me a 'palms-up guy.' I'm coming off the sideline saying, 'What's going on? It's been three drives.' So I went to Coach and said, 'I'm sorry, I won't be a palms-up guy.' I've gotten better, but it's a process."

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler said he understands Marshall's frustration.

"[Marshall is] human," Cutler said Monday. "He wants to be personally successful, but he knows for us to get where we want to go, everyone has to contribute. There's games where he doesn't get 10 balls, 12 balls. He might have five and a touchdown, and if we win, he's going to be happy. If we don't, everyone's going to work to see what we can do to fix it."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...o-bears-wear-green-shoes-game-new-york-giants

2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,613ß
    Pretty messed up...NFL decks out the field in pink for breast cancer awareness, but dont you fucking dare try and show awareness for anything else!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,214ß
    There are 4 months in the year. There are 17 weeks of football. (not counting playoffs)

I would not mind if they dedicated each week to a different cause. I applaud Marshall for this. Especially saying he is going to work with the cancer research foundation

• Like Like x 1
  4. BradMustersGhost

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    yeah, I think that a lot of people (including quite a few women's groups) are starting to grow "weary" of the NFL's MONTH-LONG "October is Breast Cancer Awareness PR campaign." I have read several articles which were critical of the NFL's annual breast cancer awareness campaign, for various reasons.

5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,613ß
    I dont care about them dedicating time to show awareness, im just noting the blatant hypocrisy. They want to spread awareness, but are going to punish Marshall for showing awareness? In what world does that even begin to make sense?

6. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,214ß
    They probably don't want to "waste time" explaining why he is wearing green shoes when others are wearing pink.... then avoiding conflict with those who want to wear orange Earl Bennett....

But I agree with you. It's plain stupid

7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    809ß
    Can't show support of anything unless the NFL gets a cut.

8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,400ß
    I hope to God that the NFL does not get a cut of any charity monies that people give to breast cancer. If they are helping people just so they can profit, it is the wrong reason. I honestly don't think they profit from this. I thought that they had breast cancer awareness for a full month because Goodell is a boob.

9. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    I still don't know why they don't say a damn thing about prostate cancer.

10. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    202ß
    That's what Movember is for. There are quite a lot of NFL players that grow it out in November for cancer awareness, it just doesn't get publicized as much. It should.

• Agree Agree x 1