Green shoes for Brandon Marshall (promising a double fine)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Oct 9, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Chicago Bears wide receiver Brandon Marshall will wear green shoes in Thursday night's game against the New York Giants, promising to double the fine that is sure to come for violating the NFL's uniform policy.

[​IMG]
    Brandon Marshall will wear green shoes Thursday in support of his foundation, which focuses on mental illness, and promises to pay double the fine he receives from the NFL.
    During a month in which many NFL players are wearing pink shoes, gloves and wristbands to support breast cancer awareness, Marshall will go green in support of his own foundation, which focuses on mental illness.

Marshall was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder in 2011. In going green, Marshall is sensitive about not wanting to steal the thunder of the message being sent by those wearing pink.

"I'm going to get fined and I'm going to match that, and we want to partner with a cancer-care [charity]," Marshall said. "We're still working on the details to give, really give back to an organization that is doing work in the mental health area. [Also], the diagnosis of breast cancer can hit families hard. It affects all of us."

The eight-year veteran expressed frustration after Sunday's loss to the New Orleans Saints, a game in which he had just four catches for 30 yards and was targeted only five times.

"They aren't paying me $10 million just to not make a play," Marshall said Tuesday, explaining how his personal frustrations have the team's best interest in mind. "Now it's what do you do with that frustration? What do you do when you're angry? Do you blow up? Are you a distraction in the locker room? Are you a cancer? Or do you communicate the right way?

"There are still some things I fail at. The first few weeks, coach [Marc] Trestman called me a 'palms-up guy.' I'm coming off the sideline saying, 'What's going on? It's been three drives.' So I went to Coach and said, 'I'm sorry, I won't be a palms-up guy.' I've gotten better, but it's a process."

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler said he understands Marshall's frustration.

"[Marshall is] human," Cutler said Monday. "He wants to be personally successful, but he knows for us to get where we want to go, everyone has to contribute. There's games where he doesn't get 10 balls, 12 balls. He might have five and a touchdown, and if we win, he's going to be happy. If we don't, everyone's going to work to see what we can do to fix it."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/stor...o-bears-wear-green-shoes-game-new-york-giants
  2. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,357 / 8 / -0
    Pretty messed up...NFL decks out the field in pink for breast cancer awareness, but dont you fucking dare try and show awareness for anything else!!
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    There are 4 months in the year. There are 17 weeks of football. (not counting playoffs)

I would not mind if they dedicated each week to a different cause. I applaud Marshall for this. Especially saying he is going to work with the cancer research foundation
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    yeah, I think that a lot of people (including quite a few women's groups) are starting to grow "weary" of the NFL's MONTH-LONG "October is Breast Cancer Awareness PR campaign." I have read several articles which were critical of the NFL's annual breast cancer awareness campaign, for various reasons.
  5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,357 / 8 / -0
    I dont care about them dedicating time to show awareness, im just noting the blatant hypocrisy. They want to spread awareness, but are going to punish Marshall for showing awareness? In what world does that even begin to make sense?
  6. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,276 / 3 / -6
    They probably don't want to "waste time" explaining why he is wearing green shoes when others are wearing pink.... then avoiding conflict with those who want to wear orange Earl Bennett....

But I agree with you. It's plain stupid
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,068 / 0 / -1
    Can't show support of anything unless the NFL gets a cut.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +774 / 2 / -0
    I hope to God that the NFL does not get a cut of any charity monies that people give to breast cancer. If they are helping people just so they can profit, it is the wrong reason. I honestly don't think they profit from this. I thought that they had breast cancer awareness for a full month because Goodell is a boob.
  9. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I still don't know why they don't say a damn thing about prostate cancer.
  10. jbunch14

jbunch14

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    That's what Movember is for. There are quite a lot of NFL players that grow it out in November for cancer awareness, it just doesn't get publicized as much. It should.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    I'm gonna call the NFL out on "breast cancer awareness", and making everyone wear pink. Yes, breast cancer is a serious problem, and I've even lost a friend to it, HOWEVER, it seems like the NFL's just trying to get women's interest with stuff like this. Everything peripheral with the NFL, such as SB half time shows, for example, are to try to get women watching the game more.

Hell, they FINALLY got rid of those stupid pink ref flags for this week, because they were confusing as hell.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    Henry, that is exactly why a lot of people are starting to criticize the NFL's month-long campaign. I have a buddy whose fiancee is a nurse AND even she thinks that the NFL goes "overboard" with breast cancer awareness. Basically, the primary complaints I hear from people are:

1-why is an entire month necessary? In other words, why devote an entire month to just one particular type of cancer?

2-If you are going to dedicate an entire month to one specific type of cancer, why can't the league dedicate at least a week each to several other noteworthy diseases (other forms of cancer, alzheimer's, ALS, etc.)?

3-A LOT of what the league does during the month (giving the refs pink flags, giving the players pink gloves, pink towels, etc.) is actually viewed as nothing more than "cheap/cynical" window dressing, primarily designed to attract more female fans/sell "pink NFL" merchandise. As you might imagine, the women's groups who hold this view actually feel that the NFL's "breast cancer awareness" campaign is somewhat demeaning to women in general.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    Not to mention that the NFL, under Goodell and his predecessor, hid a lot of info about concussions and only NOW, after being sued by older players, and the deaths of Duerson and Seau, are they starting to be worried about "player safety". It's all a business, and they do crap like that to appear "pro active", when in fact, they've been anything BUT.
  14. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost

Ratings:
    +211 / 1 / -0
    yep, UI agree Henry. The NFL realized that instituting a "Breast Cancer Awareness Month" would be (at least initially) a PR boon. They would get more bang for their buck by supporting breast cancer awareness than any other type of cancer. Obviously, this is because it is predominantly a cancer which affects women, so they could count upon the general population having a collective reaction akin to: "oh wow, the NFL is actually devoting a month to breast cancer awareness. Just look at tall of those rough and tough, big, bad football players wearing pink to help women out by supporting breast cancer research. Wow, how evolved/enlightened/selfless of the league!" Like I said, the for first few years it was a PR boon for the league, but now A LOT of people (of both genders) are growing increasingly cynical of, and annoyed with, it.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,532 / 0 / -0
    I'm worried about B.Marsh, and not just because of the green shoe thing. He's coming a bit unhinged now. And he's had some serious mental health issues in the past, that hopefully are not coming back. He's a good guy (I think so anyway) but it sounds like he's getting shaky again mentally.

Regarding the uniform issue. I figure he needs to be like the other players in the NFL and wear whatever they tell you to wear. The guy is making a zillion dollars this year. If he wants to give $5k to his pet-charity, then just shut up and give the money directly to the charity. Don't make an ass out of yourself wearing green shoes - it's just a stupid move by a guy who is struggling with his emotions right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    What has he done this year that shows he might be coming unhinged? I'm not arguing, I just haven't seen anything, myself.
  18. Wolfman

Wolfman

Ratings:
    +1,291 / 6 / -2
    I am going to be (maybe uncomfortably) honest; my initial, knee-jerk reacting to the story is not very positive...I am so tired of athletes self-promoting themselves and their feel good foundations...even for a good cause, I am cynical and a bit contemptuous of it...

Shut up, suit up and play football....I watch my football, in part, to forget the problems of the world and in my own life...can't I just have 3 hours without being reminded of all the shit that's wrong with world?
    • Like Like x 2
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,532 / 0 / -0
    His interaction with the media is what has been a bit worrisome. Trestman and Cutler too, have been trying to help with damage control here. He spoke 45 minutes the other day, basically on stuff he should just keep his mouth shut, and focus on the N.Y. Giants game. He is close to becoming a distraction for the team, and at a time where we need to re-focus on getting better, rather than whining about how he's not getting the ball enough. It has been explained to him (Cutler said it just this week) that they are not going to force balls into double coverage anymore, if other guys, like Jeffery, is open. Jay is trying to cut down on his ints this way. But B.Marsh is reacting to this publicly in the sports media.

The green shoe thing also seems stupid to me. If I were Trestman, I'd privately pull him aside and tell him he could wear the same uniform as the rest of the NFL, and if he's not able to put on the correct shoes, then he'll sit on the bench until he can dress himself properly. I'd "pull a Ditka" on this one - but that's just "me" I guess.
  20. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute

Ratings:
    +1,272 / 4 / -2
    Fishing trips. It's where its at.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1