Grizz's Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    113ß
    Any Mocks I do over the time leading up to the draft I will probably just post in this thread to avoid flooding the board. Plan on doing a few, for any time news breaks and draft landscape changes

***Red highlights rookies

QB: Cutler/Thomas/Palmer/
    RB: Forte/Sims/Ford/
    OT: Bushrod/Mills/JLong/
    OG: Slauson/Long/Brown/
    OC: Garza/Boggs
    TE: Bennet/Onobun/FA
    WR: Jeffery/Marshal/Wilson/Bennett/Tolliver
    DT: Donald/Ratliff/Collins/Paea/
    DE: Houston/Bass/Washington/FA
    SLB: Shea/Bostic/Greene
    ILB: Williams/Bostic/Tyler
    WLB:Briggs/Bostic/Green

CB: Jennings/Frey/Purifoy/Hayden/
    FS: Conte/Mundy/DJJen/
    SS:Joyner/Mundy
    Volume 1, March 12th
    Rd. 1 (14)-Aaron Donald. DT, Pitt
    With our first pick we shore up our defensive line with our hopeful long term 3tech. Donald will be penciled in to be a day one starter and overall impact player. He is a phenomenal pass rusher which is why I give him a slight edge over Jerrigan. The only real knock on this kid is he is not fit anywhere realistically for a 3-4 scheme, and this is because he is such a perfect fit for a 3tech in a 4-3. Well that is just what we need so we don't think twice. Some scouts have voiced concerns about his ability to stonewall straight runs right at him, but considering that we will have Ratliff and Houston flanking him I don't think this will scare us off. Great fit for our system that will fill a huge hole and provide some crucial pass rush up the gut that we have missed for some time now. Solid play from Donald will help elevate the play of all other 10 players, the reasoning on taking him over Dix.​
    Rd.2 (51)-Lamarcus Joyner. S, FSU
    Joyner backstopped the Noles in their 2013 championship campaign and has been a rock for the defense since he has been on campus. Joyner falls to us because of uncertainty on weather he is an NFL safety or corner, heh no worries here we need both. In all reality there is nothing about his game that suggests that he can't play safety in the NFL and excel. Joyner is versatile player and played both S and CB in college but his natural position is SS. He showed the ability to step into the box for the Noles and is a solid tackler, but also has the coverage skills that will be needed in the NFL. He was able to hold Clemson's Sammy Watkins who is very highly regarded to one of his worst statistical games where he shadowed him almost exclusively. This skillset will let us evaluate him in camp and find a place where he can help us from day one, I suspect that is taking over for one of our collection of below average safeties. ​
    Rd.3 (82)- Loucheiz Purifoy. CB, UF
    Purifoy is big, at just shy of 6'2 and has the athletic ability to match just about any corner of this size. He is a 2 year starter at Flordia and according to some scouts the only thing keeping him out of the first day is his lack of stats. This reason is because he was one of the least targeted corners in the SEC over his two year career as a starter. His man to man skills are a bit stronger than his zone ability but has the athletic ability for great range. This guy was a solid college player with the size to match up on bigger WR that Jennings simply is too small to guard. (think megatron) We possibly have a day no 2 corner if this guy comes as advertised, and add youth to a pretty lackluster defensive backfield.​
    Rd. 4 (113)-Charles Sims. HB, WVU
    Quietly, we have nobody but an unproven Ford to compliment Forte. I can gaurentee that letting Forte (who already has a ton of miles on him) get abused is NOT part of our plan this year. Sims has two things that make him a great fit for our offense and lets us feel good about his potential. First, he is a tremendous pass catcher out of the backfield. This will make him fit very well into our system and should be as easy of a transition as possible for him. To go along with this point he has 4.4 speed, and that goes along with his 214 pound frame. Smooth directional runner with good footwork will let him fit into our run game as well. Sims will need to improve his pass pro if he wants to run away with the backup job in camp. ​
    Rd. 5 (114)-Logan Thomas. QB, VT
    If it weren't for Trestman being here, this guy would not be considered. Maybe I'm drinking the koolaide, but since he is here I love this guy with great value in round 5. Two things that need to be understood with Thomas. Number one, he has the natural ability that surpasses anyone in this draft and most years for that matter. Number two, he must improve his decision making ability and can be outright reckless with passes at times. His huge arm leads him to try to force passes, and that will not work in the NFL (sounds familiar huh?) Thomas is a dual threat but at 250lbs he is very tough to bring down and if you let him escape he will gash you. This messes with defensive schemes. We need another guy to at least compete with Palmer and the potential is endless with Tresty having a minimum of 3 years to develop this guy. If he can help Thomas improve his timing and decision making, this could be a great player. Trestman will have to earn his title of QB whisperer here.​
    Rd. 6 (167)-Jack Tyler. ILB, VT
    We can add another ILB to the mix here. What I like about Tyler is he is a smart player with an NFL body. All sources close to him say his work ethic is outstanding. Tyler can always compete in the mix at MLB and develop for when the DJ bandaide wears out. ST player without a doubt and some upside at a position of need for depth? What more can you ask for in the late rounds.
    UDFAs: DT,S,RB,OC

Projected Depth Chart

Hope you all enjoyed, more volumes to come and feedback always welcome!
    • Like Like x 3
  2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,364 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    389ß
    Nice mock. Hope we re-sign Peanut to mentor Purifoy.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    Swap that HB w/another SS so that Mundy/Conte aren't close to starting and it's a solid mock, huge hole at DE also, you could take a flyer w/the 2nd 6th round pick they have(psst you forgot it).
  4. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Good Mock Grizz with spot on analysis and I agree with SFB that it would be great to have Peanut back as a mentor.
    :)
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    113ß
    Good catch Ric, when I get to my computer I'll add that last pick. Prolly slot a de there because we have a hole. I also forgot to mention sims can return kicks as well as spell forte.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    63ß
    Grizz, I like your mock. Who would your 2nd choice in the 6th round be?
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    113ß
    OC: Garza/Boggs/Linsley
    Volume 1.01, March 14th (Because I left out a pick)
    Rd. 1 (14)-Aaron Donald. DT, Pitt
    With our first pick we shore up our defensive line with our hopeful long term 3tech. Donald will be penciled in to be a day one starter and overall impact player. He is a phenomenal pass rusher which is why I give him a slight edge over Jerrigan. The only real knock on this kid is he is not fit anywhere realistically for a 3-4 scheme, and this is because he is such a perfect fit for a 3tech in a 4-3. Well that is just what we need so we don't think twice. Some scouts have voiced concerns about his ability to stonewall straight runs right at him, but considering that we will have Ratliff and Houston flanking him I don't think this will scare us off. Great fit for our system that will fill a huge hole and provide some crucial pass rush up the gut that we have missed for some time now. Solid play from Donald will help elevate the play of all other 10 players, the reasoning on taking him over Dix.
    Rd.2 (51)-Lamarcus Joyner. S, FSU
    Joyner backstopped the Noles in their 2013 championship campaign and has been a rock for the defense since he has been on campus. Joyner falls to us because of uncertainty on weather he is an NFL safety or corner, heh no worries here we need both. In all reality there is nothing about his game that suggests that he can't play safety in the NFL and excel. Joyner is versatile player and played both S and CB in college but his natural position is SS. He showed the ability to step into the box for the Noles and is a solid tackler, but also has the coverage skills that will be needed in the NFL. He was able to hold Clemson's Sammy Watkins who is very highly regarded to one of his worst statistical games where he shadowed him almost exclusively. This skillset will let us evaluate him in camp and find a place where he can help us from day one, I suspect that is taking over for one of our collection of below average safeties.
    Rd.3 (82)- Loucheiz Purifoy. CB, UF
    The Tillman signing does not change this pick. We still need a big guy to learn under Tillman and fill in if injured to cover the big WRs. A year under this guy's belt is just gravy as he wont be pressured to be a starter before he is ready. Purifoy is big, at just shy of 6'2 and has the athletic ability to match just about any corner of this size. He is a 2 year starter at Flordia and according to some scouts the only thing keeping him out of the first day is his lack of stats. This reason is because he was one of the least targeted corners in the SEC over his two year career as a starter. His man to man skills are a bit stronger than his zone ability but has the athletic ability for great range. This guy was a solid college player with the size to match up on bigger WR that Jennings simply is too small to guard. (think megatron) We possibly have a day no 2 corner if this guy comes as advertised, and add youth to a pretty lackluster defensive backfield.
    Rd. 4 (113)-Charles Sims. HB, WVU
    Quietly, we have nobody but an unproven Ford to compliment Forte. I can gaurentee that letting Forte (who already has a ton of miles on him) get abused is NOT part of our plan this year. Sims has two things that make him a great fit for our offense and lets us feel good about his potential. First, he is a tremendous pass catcher out of the backfield. This will make him fit very well into our system and should be as easy of a transition as possible for him. To go along with this point he has 4.4 speed, and that goes along with his 214 pound frame. Smooth directional runner with good footwork will let him fit into our run game as well. Sims will need to improve his pass pro if he wants to run away with the backup job in camp.
    Rd. 5 (114)-Logan Thomas. QB, VT
    If it weren't for Trestman being here, this guy would not be considered. Maybe I'm drinking the koolaide, but since he is here I love this guy with great value in round 5. Two things that need to be understood with Thomas. Number one, he has the natural ability that surpasses anyone in this draft and most years for that matter. Number two, he must improve his decision making ability and can be outright reckless with passes at times. His huge arm leads him to try to force passes, and that will not work in the NFL (sounds familiar huh?) Thomas is a dual threat but at 250lbs he is very tough to bring down and if you let him escape he will gash you. This messes with defensive schemes. We need another guy to at least compete with Palmer and the potential is endless with Tresty having a minimum of 3 years to develop this guy. If he can help Thomas improve his timing and decision making, this could be a great player. Trestman will have to earn his title of QB whisperer here.
    Rd. 6 (167)-Jack Tyler. ILB, VT
    We can add another ILB to the mix here. What I like about Tyler is he is a smart player with an NFL body. All sources close to him say his work ethic is outstanding. Tyler can always compete in the mix at MLB and develop for when the DJ bandaide wears out. ST player without a doubt and some upside at a position of need for depth? What more can you ask for in the late rounds.
    Rd. 6 (175)-Corey Linsley. OC, OSU
    I was tempted to slot a DE here but the combo of nobody around here in mocks and the few "project" guys we have led me to take Linsley. Garza upheld last year, but hes yet another year older and the end of his career is near (if not sometime this year) The blessing of needing an OC is that we can find better value later outside the top 2 or 3 so we can kick the tires on Linsley. Him and Boggs can fight over the backup job and roster spot in Camp but at OSU he was a solid run blocker but lacked elite footwork in pass pro. He may struggle right away so Garza likely won't have to worry about his job this year, but then again...thats what we said about Webb when we took a 5th round "project RT"
    UDFAs: DT,S,RB,OC

Projected Depth Chart
    Hope you all enjoyed, more volumes to come and feedback always welcome!
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,596 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    645ß
    I agree with Ric and nice mock, Grizz. We can sign a cheap vet to backup Forte and get a udfa to compete in camp with Ford. But I love your first 3 picks.
  9. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    I agree and would love to see Isaiah Lewis SS from Michigan St, 8 ints, 5 tkfl, 2 tds...will knock the ball carriers dick stiff, can play all 4 special team units and a leader in the best defense in the nation, can be had in 3-5 round
    • Like Like x 1
  10. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    I like Donald a lot in the first round. He's a short version of JJ Watt. We could definitely use that.
  11. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    I'm all for a running back somewhere in rounds 5-7 if we are getting a top notch guy who has fallen down the list a bit. As good as our passing weapons will be we still need to run the ball to prevent Cutler going for too many high risk throws and to get the defense off the field and resting up. A veteran back might do the job but I'd love to find a gem of a rookie RB who not only can reduce the snaps Forte has to take but can even cover for him if he's out injured (and he's played a lot of games banged up these last few years).

The success rate of late draft pick backs who are fresh and hungry for success has been higher than the success rate of banged up veterans on cheap deals from what I can tell of late.

I'm not convinced Emery can find a difference maker in the late rounds of the draft on defense anyway. He can't even nail the guys in the first 2 rounds on defense the last couple of drafts. Let's hope that changes first.
  12. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    113ß

I just hope he is there. I have seen some mocks with him going 12, and 13. Also, who we think, and or hope that will be there in the 2nd round will probably play a role in who we take in the first. If Jerrigan continues his slide, and we think theres a chance of him making it to our 2nd pick or we find another DT who we can snag in the 2nd then I could see us taking Pryor/Dix. Same goes for Joyner, if we think he will be there for sure at our 2nd pick then the DT in the first is a no brainer.

I usually HATE trading down in the first round. This year is the only year in recent memory that I would support a move down 6-10 spots because I'm confident that both Pryor and Jerrigan would be there and I do not believe that the gap between Jerrigan and Donald is that wide. I honestly think that for us Pryor may be the better of the two safeties in the short term in the sense of need, and long term potential. Only way I would like a trade down is if someone slipped to us that we don't need and a team was willing to take the short end of the stick to trade up with us. Unlikely so for now, I still think Emery will have a very tough 3 way choice between Donald, Dix, Pryor.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. MikeV

MikeV Rookie

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß

I have no issue taking Donald, but if Gilbert, Pryor and Dix are all on the board at 14, I want one of them or a trade back of a few spots. It it's looking more and more likely that Jerrinigen and Hageman will be 2nd rounders and fall into our laps. Any combo from those 2 groups will likely be stronger than Donald and a round 2 db, all due respect as both groups of players I'd be fine drafting, just a preference to 1 over 2.
  14. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I'm not sure Jernigan makes it into the 2nd round. With the Bears, Dallas and Atlanta all having serious DL needs, I don't see Donald and Jernigan making it past the 20th pick (Atlanta).
  15. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    46ß
    Just curious, how is it more and more likely that both Jernigan AND Hageman will be 2nd rounders and what makes you think either or both will just 'fall into our laps' at pick 51? I just don't seeing that happening AT ALL. Don't you think the 20 or so picks before us in the 2nd round would be jumping all over Jernigan, especially? No way Jernigan lasts until #51.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    While Timmy might not fall, Hagemen might well fall. There's always guys that freefall. If Jernigan were to fall it will be b/c of the belief he takes plays off and general conditioning.

I don't think it will happen, but to say it won't is just as much of a guess as to say it will. There is already talk of Manziel or Bridgewaters dropping drastically, and they had been consensus top 5 picks just a few weeks ago. If either of them could fall, anyone else behind them well could also.
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +503 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    113ß
    That's my thinking as well. I think the chances of Joyner falling to 51 are far greater. But if Dix/Pryor are graded out that much higher overall by emery than Donald, then id be fine with that and just hope we get a quality DT at 51
    • Like Like x 1
  18. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I think we need to get three starters/players that are fully into positional rotations in rounds 1 - 3. No projects or reaches. Hopefully the defensive BPA. Personally, I believe the DL needs to be our highest priority. But if we get an exceptional LB/DB at 14, so be it. But all three of our first picks need to make the team and contribute significantly.

Anything else and the draft is basically a failure.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,793 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,987ß
    With the depth of this draft, I see no reason you couldn't get 4 contributors in 5 rounds. It's the beauty of this draft,and one of the reasons it will be harder this year to trade back then most.
  20. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +62 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    105ß
    Could Mosley be there at 14? If so, can we afford to not take him?