Grizz's Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 12, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,422 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    Bear 40, it'd be hard not to take Mosely at 14, the Bears need ILB depth and a future starter and he is both of those.

But again If Pryor or Nix, Donald, Jernigan and Mosely are all on the board it's going to be a tough call.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I seriously doubt it and if he was it would certinaly put a wrench in our decision. There are mixed reports and some I've read say he may be another better suited OLB than MLB in the pros. We already have one of those but I'm not sure how much of that is true because I didn't see much Bama football last year. DT and both safeties are still a much more glaring need and for now we can't rule out Bostic after one year of playing on a god awful defense. MLB may be a need we have to kick down the road.
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +247 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I think the real quandary would be Khalil Mack being available at 14. I don't think it likely. But draft days can be unpredictable.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,422 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    Mack, imo, is to small at sub 250 to play DE in the NFL, and not sure the team needs another OLB as Shea and Bostic are both looking at future SAM/WILL duties, not to mention Greene.

Could be wrong, Mack might be one of those exceptions at DE that are great edge rushers that is just strong and powerfull enough to handle NFL T's even if they are "small", they are out there and if he is one, then you'd have to take him.
  5. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +247 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I see Mack playing as an OLB in a 4-3 as well.
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß

I think Mack falling to 14 would be phenomional for us, best case scenario. Not for the purpose of taking him but baiting a team to give us a lobsided deal in order to move down a bit. In the 18-26 range I'm confident that we would get a pick between Pryor and Jerrigan with an outside shot at Donald and CD...and net some nice picks in the process....We would just have to be damn sure that whoever we took could still make a day one impact.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Volume 1.5 (Trade down scenario), March 17th
    Cleveland Trades Pick number 26 and 35 to Chicago for Pick number 14 and 116

26(700)+35(550))=1250
    14(1100)+116(62)=1162
    Rd. 1 (26) Calvin Pryor. SS, UL
    We take Pryor with our first pick after the trade with Cleveland. Pryor will come in form day one and be our SS likely. Pryor excelled in college and bring an explosive presence to our defensive backfield. Emery has noted that he wants toughness and this is just what this kid can bring. Pryor showed the ability to do it all at the SS position and has range to cover the middle of the field as well as the skills to lock up on a TE in short yardage and redzone situations. Pryor is an excellent run supporter and will be huge in complementing our LB corp when Briggs and DJ are gone, this guy has a knack for coming up and laying the boom on Rbs and Wrs alike. Pryor is a old school SS who loves to lay wood on anyone he gets a shot at, remarkably at UL he was able to abide by the new rules and land huge, LEGAL hits.​

Rd.2 (35) Timmy Jernigan. DT, FSU

The advantage of this trade down is we can double dip and get a guy who will likely start at our 3 tech from day one. Jernigan showed excellence from day one and was the real anchor of the front 7 for the Seminoles this year. at 300 lbs he is stout against the run, but showed the pass rush ability to allow him to play a 3 tech. If you are going to sum him up into one word, it would be disruptive. His explosiveness allows him to play behind the offensive line and was able to pitch a tent in the offensive backfields in college. Jernigan slips to round 2 because of Donald coming on big in the SR bowl combined with questions about his conditioning in the national championship game. There are sources close to FSU that suggest that he was actually injured with a rib injury in that game, but nobody knows for sure. Either way we likely have just added a 2nd defensive starter.
    Rd. 2 (51) Keith McGill. CB, UTAH
    McGill is big. At 6'3 215 he will be able to be Tillman's understudy and will be able to cover the big WRs down the road. Size is important when we go CB hunting this year because Jennings is just too small to cover big guys like megatron. Mcgill is a small school guy and can compete with Frey for the NB job this year while he prepares to take over for Tillman. In college he showed good ball skills and has a diverse skillset to fit any scheme we run. Most close to the university say this guy is a "first guy in, last guy out" type of guy and should help him develop quickly. ​

Rd. 3 (82) Zach Mettenberg. QB, LSU
    Here is our likely backup qb who may have to fill in for a Cutler injury. Mettenberg has the size and other measurables that Trestman likes. He can make any throw on the field and you can't sleep on him slipping a sack and taking off with it. In my opinion this is the perfect player for Trestman to work with and become our guy down the road. He did very well against elite SEC talent, and most agree will be able to transition to the pro game.
    Rd. 5 (114)- Adrian Hubbard. DE, Bama
    We add another big school DE to the DL Mix. Hubbard has the size to play in our scheme, and did respectable at bama over the course of a few championship seasons. We need more guys to work in at the still up in the air position of DE opposite of Houston. Here is a late round potential pick. We hit a home run in rd 5 last year so why not do it again?​

Rd. 6 (167)-Jack Tyler. ILB, VT
    We can add another ILB to the mix here. What I like about Tyler is he is a smart player with an NFL body. All sources close to him say his work ethic is outstanding. Tyler can always compete in the mix at MLB and develop for when the DJ bandaide wears out. ST player without a doubt and some upside at a position of need for depth? What more can you ask for in the late rounds.​

Rd. 6 (175) Corey Linsley. OC, OSU
    Here we can find value at OC late in the draft. Linsley comes from a successful bid at OSU to backup Garza this year. Boggs may not be the answer and Linsley will fight it out with him in camp for a roster spot and the backup job. Nobody really knows if Garza can repeat his decent season last year and if his age will catch up with him. Injuries for an older player are always a concern, so lets shore up the backup spot.​
    UDFAs: DT,S,RB,OC

Projected Depth Chart
    ***Red highlights rookies
    QB: Cutler/Mettenberg/Palmer/
    RB: Forte/Ford/FA
    OT: Bushrod/Mills/JLong/
    OG: Slauson/Long/Brown/
    OC: Garza/Boggs/Linsley
    TE: Bennet/Onobun/FA
    WR: Jeffery/Marshal/Wilson/Bennett/Tolliver
    DT: /Ratliff/Jernigan/Collins/Paea/
    DE: Houston/Hubbard/Bass/Washington/
    SLB: Shea/Bostic/Greene
    ILB: Williams/Bostic/Tyler
    WLB:Briggs/Bostic/Green
    CB: Tillman/Jennings/McGill/Frey/
    FS: Conte/Mundy/DJJen/
    SS:Pryor/Mundy
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +566 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    I like it but Jernigan is and will be a first-round draftee.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß

I think so too, I was just going off Walter football who has him there.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,422 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    I was just working my trade down scenerio but lost connection at work. :)

If the team could trade back and grab Pryor and Jernigan that is an A++++++++++++++++++++++ draft even if Emery flubs the rest of it.
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß

I frankly see almost no chance of a trade down happening the way we would like. Only trade down I would want to see is one like I mocked where we came our ahead due to a guy someone really wanted slipping to 14.

But I agree Ric Pryor and Jernigan is best case scenario.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    It's a nice menu you got there, Grizz. Hageman (not a big fan of his from what I've read) is probably more likely to be available at #35 than Jernigan but who knows. Crazy things happen every year.

With any potential trade-down scenario Emery may encounter he's gotta figure that Dallas (#16 pick) is very like to go DL since they've lost Ware & Hatcher this year and Ratliff last. Of course JJ could always do something totally stupid...
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,422 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    MP, can I be honest IF the Bears want to use the occassional 3-4 front along w/4-3 I think the Bears would target Hagemen over Donald or Jernigan, and then look to get a big fatty NT in the mid rounds to play NT behind Paea in the 4-3 and be the guy that is the 0 in the 3-4. It really depends on what they are planning on doing.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Yep, from what Ive read Hageman is more of a 3-4 DE than a 4-3 guy. Supposedly he's an athletic freak who's raw technique wise and his lack of college production shows that. He would be a typical Emery type pick ("versatile", high risk/reward trade off) and that kind of scares me a little.

The Long pick last year was that too. An athletic monster with a thin résumé who could potentially play anywhere on the OL except Center. If Hageman ends up being a Bear, Paul P (whatever his name is) is going to have to "pull a Kromer" coaching-wise to get this guy up to speed quick. We need solid starters/contributors early on.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd be down with that draft but we'd need some luck for Joyner and Purifoy to be around for us in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
  16. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    H
    Ummmmm who will be sacking the QB for us?? I don't see any pass rushing DE's on that roster.:(
  17. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think if you're planning on a DT in the 2nd round it's more likely that Jernigan and Hageman will be gone and you'd have to look at guys like A.Johnson and K.Quarels.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,422 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    170ß
    At 51 yes, but at 35 it's possible Hagemen would be there, IF he were to fall at all, and that was the trade down scenerio that Grizz is talking about.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Both walter football and drafttek had him going between 30-40 so I mocked him there. If he's gone maybe Hageman, maybe quarles but prolly will get someone at a pos of need they slipped. For now, I'll stick with the hope Jernigan falls in this unlikely scenario we manage a trade down.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Volume 2.0, March 26th (Post FA)
    Rd. 1 (14)-Calvin Pryor. S, UL
    With the signing of Allen we have a flexible group of players at the DL positions. With this in mind a need for a day one lock to start at the 3 tech is not such a pressing need. Pryor can step into either safety role and will likely bump out the lesser of the two between Conte and Mundy. Pryor is more adept to play SS where I personally think we have a bigger weakness so I'm going with Pryor. Pryor and Dix are the clear cut 1 and 2 safeties in this class and both are expected to play at a high level right away. Scouts don't agree who is the number one safety, so you can slot either here. My personal preference is Pryor due to his physical nature that can really help in run support. He has the range, hips, and ball skills to play a deep zone as well as the size and ability to lock up with a slot or TE in short yardage situations. Pryor will likely step in day one and compete at both FS and SS in TC and I expect that he will win one of the jobs. ​

Rd.2 (51)-Marcus Roberson. CB, UF

Here is Emery's boom or bust pick (you know he just loves those.) Roberson had a fantastic freshman season for UF but was hampered by an injury last year as well as being suspended. Physical is the single word that describes how Roberson plays, and he had a knack for locking up on an island with the opponents top WR in college where he often preformed well. Some say what is keeping him out of round one is character issues. This stems from a suspension he got last year after an altercation with two LSU WRs. Youtube it if you want, Roberson flat out crossed the line, got tossed and then suspended. Emery seems to have no problem taking on character issues and something about the bears lockeroom seems to curve these issues (AJ, Wilson, Marshall to name a few.) At just under 6'1 Roberson has the size we will likely be looking for to replace Tillman. Some say that Roberson who had a bad final college season will fall to the 2nd day and be a great steal for some team(sounds alot like AJ to me.) ​
    Rd.3 (82)- Ego Ferguson. DT, LSU
    We still need more bodies to add to the DT rotation and mix. Ferguson can fit that bill with great value in rd 3. Ferguson weighed in at 310 at the combine, but his athleticism gives him flexibility to play at either DT spot on our line. Ferguson has a massive frame, but ran a 4.9 at the combine and scouts note his excellent burst and ability to get off the ball. A balanced DT he does not specialize as a pass rusher nor run stuffer, doing both equally well for LSU. Ferguson can be thrown in the mix to compete for playing time in our up in the air rotation. ​
    Rd. 4 (117)-Bryan Stork. OC, FSU
    Most current mocks have Stork back on the rise after FSU's pro day. Lets make no mistake, he ran away with the Remington award this year as college's clear cut best OC. From the words of Winston, he was the unquestioned leader of the offensive unit of the national champion Seminoles. Stork has great technique and handwork is second to none. He is also versatile as he started 6 games at guard, and another 34 at center for the Noles. He will need to add some lower body strength to be able to move the bigger NT's of the NFL. Perfect prospect to groom while Garza finises out his long career here.​
    Rd. 5 (114)-Logan Thomas. QB, VT
    Keeping this pick. If it weren't for Trestman being here, this guy would not be considered. Maybe I'm drinking the koolaide, but since he is here I love this guy with great value in round 5. Two things that need to be understood with Thomas. Number one, he has the natural ability that surpasses anyone in this draft and most years for that matter. Number two, he must improve his decision making ability and can be outright reckless with passes at times. His huge arm leads him to try to force passes, and that will not work in the NFL (sounds familiar huh?) Thomas is a dual threat but at 250lbs he is very tough to bring down and if you let him escape he will gash you. This messes with defensive schemes. We need another guy to at least compete with Palmer and the potential is endless with Tresty having a minimum of 3 years to develop this guy. If he can help Thomas improve his timing and decision making, this could be a great player. Trestman will have to earn his title of QB whisperer here.​
    Rd. 6 (183)-James Morris. ILB, IA
    We can add another ILB to the mix here. Morris was a solid player for Iowa last 2 seasons and comes from a similar system to what we are playing. He can compete in the mix of our young LBs and possible contribute on STs. We need to add bodies to the middle and Morris will be a last resort if we are decimated by injures again at the position. He is a true Mike LB, so will provide value and insurance.
    Rd.6 (191)-Storm Johnson. HB, UCF
    Forte has a ton of miles on him and currently we are razor thin behind him. We need someone to compete with Ford. Johnson is a good all around back including the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Storm just about took over UCFs bowl game on his way to almost 200 yards rushing. This guy has potential, but not that much tape so he will likely be available. Storm has a good burst and the size that may allow him to take some of the short yardage carries on long drives to provide fresh legs. Was noted for his blocking ability, that will be a must for any young HB we bring in. Storm and Ford can fight it out for the backup job. ​
    UDFAs: DT,S,RB,TE,QB

Projected Depth Chart
    ***Red highlights rookies
    QB: Cutler/Thomas/Palmer/
    RB: Forte/Johnson/Ford/
    OT: Bushrod/Mills/JLong/
    OG: Slauson/Long/Brown/
    OC: Garza/Stork/Boggs
    TE: Bennet/Onobun/FA
    WR: Jeffery/Marshal/Wilson/Bennett/Tolliver
    DT: /Ratliff/Collins/Ferguson/Paea/
    DE: Allen/Houston/Bass/Washington/