Grizz's Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 12, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    Good solid Mock Grizz, 1st 3 are awesome, and I think you and I are the only ones that like Logan Thomas. James, if history holds true, won't be more then a ST'r though ILB's outside of the mid first are don't tend to turn out good, waiting until the 6th isn't going to get it done.
    Skov or Smallwood maybe's, but after that you're better off looking elsewhere.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß

I was very close to mocking Skov in the 3rd round. That might be a change I will want to make in the future because some sights have Ferguson available to us in round 4. Hell, if this is the case...Sign him up.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    Everything you read about Ferguson and Donald are just slight ticks down from Donald I just don't see how you can take the luxury of Donald at 14 when you have legit needs to fill at CB/S/ILB in the first 2 rounds.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    Version 2.5-April 2nd
    Slow news day, and draft coverage is heating up shedding more light on players. I decided to do every other mock involving trades at some point. Gives us more discussion and see more players/options.
    Rd.1 (14) Aaron Donald. DT, Pitt
    Yep, sticking to this one and will continue too unless as we get closer it looks unlikely that we will have him available to us. Won't beat a dead horse here we have discussed the crap out of this guy. Classic 3 tech. Will be disruptive. Press the pocket with interior pressure. Makes our whole unit better. yadda yadda yadda. What I will say is I think Emery will try to model a quick defensive turnaround from what he did on offense. Make no mistake, our offense showed the drastic turnaround due to the heavy upgrades alone the line. One rule of football will never change. Lose up front, lose the game.
    TRADE
    From SF picks 61,129,170 (358pts)
    From Chi pick 51 (350 pts)

SF has too many picks and wants to jump up 10 spots.
    Rd.2 (61) Stanley Jean-Baptise. CB, Neb
    We can trade down, net picks and still fill a great need. JB is the biggest CB in the draft and has great athletic ability and ball skills to back it up. Very, very physical and big at almost 6'3 and a 218 pound frame. He will be our answer for bigger WR like Calvin and some compare him to Sherman coming out of college. He rates at the top in terms of potential, as most scouts say he would be a day one pick if he wouldn't have a knack for picking up DPI calls from time to time. His open field tackling needs to improve as well, although he he very eager to coming up in run support he missed quite a few would be TFL last year.
    Rd.3 (82) Deone Bucannon. S, WSU
    Yep, this is a hope and prayer he lasts this long. As of now there is a big jumble of safeties in the 4-8 range in terms of where they will go. Out of the 4 mocks I looked at 2 had him still available at 82. Anyways, Bucannon is a safety with a linebacker like mentality. He is known for his ability to come up in run support and is physical with WR over the middle. He is more of a SS type, and will push for the SS job come TC. It will give us a 3 man competition for 2 starting spots at S.

Rd 4. (117) Shayne Skov. ILB, Stan.
    Strong, instinctive player who is very solid against the run. We need depth at ILB and this draft does not have any must have talent there IMO. another reason I waited this long on ILB is we have 2 2nd year players and one 3rd in our corps now. We wait a year to see what we have before we invest a top pick for ILB. If Skov can get accustomed to the NFL speed rather quickly then this is highway robbery for Emery. This is a must because Skov best asset was his intelligence and diagnosis of plays in college. If he had elite athletic ability he could very well be the top ILB in this draft. He can develop and provide an insurance policy for the two vets we have.
    Rd 4. (129) Charles Sims. HB, WVU
    Forte is old in terms of RB and he has taken some serious abuse. It would not be in our best interest to find out we don't have a reliable guy to take some of the load off Forte. He has a ton of miles on him and is a big part of our offense. We should have a guy to spell him, and have an insurance policy just in case. In the future, Sims can likely fill the role he does when his time is up. Sims is a slashing runner who has a similar style. Difference between the two is Forte has the breakaway long speed and Sims runs through tackles a bit better. Sims is a great pass catcher, so he will fit right into what Tresty is doing.
    Rd 5. (156) Logan Thomas. QB, VT.
    Thomas, is making a climb up the qb list and is still my favorite prospect in this draft. I have stated before why I like him and Trestman has noted him as well. I wont bore anyone and go back to my long explanation I had in other threads. Refer to earlier mocks in this thread for that. Bottom line. Has the highest ceiling of anyone in this draft. All his flaws are correctable, and Trestman can hopefully do that. Palmer is unproven and needs competition, Cutler is often injured.
    Rd 5. (170) Trai Turner. OG, LSU
    I know what your thinking. A guard? Really? Hear me out. Most of the top center prospects are gone by now. With Garza's career at a soon end we need to keep influxing talent and youth into our line and not pulling a JA and waiting till injuries ore age starts killing our whole offense. If the rumors that Slausen is the future center are true, then Turner would be a good fit in the future LG spot when Garza is gone. He fits what we do perfectly, big solid body that would be great in our short set system. He did play some Center at LSU and slid over in case of injury. If Slausen stays at OG, then Turner may convert to OC.
    Rd 6. (183) Brock Vereen. S, Minn
    The trade down allowed us to take guys like this in the end of the draft. Vereen had a great pro day that opened some eyes. 2 year starter he was able to be solid for Minn. He literally played every position in the defensive backfield at times so that versatility combined with good athletic ability is tempting. STer likely from the get go and he can develop wherever we need him.
    Rd 6. (191) A.C. Leonard. TE, Tenn. St.
    Not much to explain here. Deep in the draft we add a body to the ? of TE2. Small school guy maybe falls through the cracks. Noted for good ball skills and ability to block. His size is a huge knock. He moves great for a 255lb TE packed into a short 6'4 frame.
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    Here's some poop you may want to stir into your mock Grizz. This is from Greg Gabriels piece on the Bears draft strategy. Gabe's a pretty fair talent scout although I do have to admit the Bears missed big on some picks when he was with them. Whether that was him of JA we'll never know but at least this a little more specific input in the from of a direct opinion.

Some may say that Nebraska’s Stanley Jean-Baptiste would be a good pick. He ran slow at the combine and is only a press corner. He struggles in off and zone coverage. The next corner may be Utah’s Keith McGill. McGill is an interesting guy who is also primarily a press corner but is better in zone and off than Jean-Baptiste. In saying that you could ask yourself if 51 is too high to take McGill?

The fact that we play more zone than press or man coverage makes me wonder if he's a guy we'd want. Size is good but skills don't seem to match. Jean-Baptiste might be a guy who could play Safety where his lack of speed won't be quite so much of a factor though. Of these two McGill might be the better choice but not to get too hung up on max size there are some 6' footers who seem to rate around the late second to the third. Aikens and Phillip Gaines are both 6' plus 195lb guys who should be 3rd or 4th rounder.

I'd love to get Jimmie Ward in the second but if we miss on him then I'd start looking at those MLBs. It seems they all can play 4-3 MLB or 3-4 ILB and to be honest I don't think any of the three, Skov, Bullough, or Borland will last until the 4th. If Ward is off the board maybe this where that trade down benefits us. They all seem to rate late 2nd to late 3rd and after these guys it's mainly late picks or UDFAs. The more I look it over the more I think these guys are all good picks in here and where we take the BPA between the CB, FS, and MLB. There's Reynolds out of Stanford who can go into the Safety mix too.

So rounds 2-4 here's some stuff I'm gonna summarize but not try to spec a round. Just guys who may fit and become good core players for us at three different positions.

Safeties: Ward, Bucannon, Reynolds, and Jean-Baptiste

CB: McGill, Aikens, Gaines, Jean-Baptiste

MLB: Skov, Bullough, Borland
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    Grizz,

Good Mock not a fan of donald unless the S's and CB's are off the board, I'm not even sure the team will be playing a classic cover 2 scheme that needs the classic 3 tech that we all keep touching on; b/c of that they might not be looking at a zone guy and therefore a guy like SJB would be a good fit.

I like Bucannon, and Skov in those rounds, if they fall like that it's a steal for both of them; Skov probably washes out more like Greene this year, all you can hope is he develops next year though. I'd swap rb and s in the mid/late rounds also, we don't need a starting replacement RB but we do need a starting S, Mundy isn't the answer imo, he's a depth guy w/potential to start if needed only. I like the rest of the picks.
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I agree on McGill, I liked him up until Nebraska's pro day. J-B ran consistently in the 4.4 range at Nebraska's pro day last week. This is why he is climbing the board and why I like him again. His scouting reports seem to contradict the original thought that he is a press man guy only. According to two scouting reports they say he can be fit into just about any scheme, only real issue is if we get him into a 1 on 1 situation with a long speed guy like DeShaun Jackson he may get taken over the top.

Ok: off topic but is there a way I can modify the thread name so I can insert the most recent updates date? I know the old site it can be done but I'm having trouble figuring it out now.
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    Ric, next mock I do I'm going to do 1-13 so we all can see/discuss who we are picking from. I'm assuming that Dix is gone, Gilbert is gone right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +349 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    I hate to have to say this again, but if the Bears drafted Logan Thomas, he would be the #3 QB and Jordan Palmer would be the #2.

I like the Sims pick in the 4th. The more I see Donald being linked to the Bears the more it guarantees that he's not going to be a Bear.
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    Certainly possible but you never know. We have no idea Palmer's true ability nor how Thomas will adjust and develop with Trestman and the offensive system we have. If Palmer does win the camp battle then it's a good thing for us because it proves he has some kind of ability. Thomas is more of a project being taken in the 6th round, but does give us options if Jay get hurt again. By that time hopefully He and Palmer will have at least half a year of quality reps under their belt and can be ready to step in.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    I hate to say this but I a gree w/WNML, he would be the 3rd best QB...THIS YEAR behind Cutler and Palmer, next 2 years he's the backup and potentially trade bait or a Cutler replacement the year after that, depending on how Cutler has preformed and how Thomas has.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    494ß
    McCown being gone has been glossed over, but I think it is the most meaningful loss by far that we have had. It could literally cost us the season if Cutler goes down and we don't have a QB that can win games. We've seen it before and we are pretty much in the same position as we were when it happened previously. I really do see it as a possibility that is more than remote.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    BiH, I think you are overstating just how good McCown was, I think Palmer can do equally as good w/Trestmans treatment and 2 pro bowl WR's and a pro bowl RB and marty B at TE and a really STOUT OL.

You'll see just how far down to earth McCown crashes now that he's in TB.
  14. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +349 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    It takes time for a rookie to come up to speed. He's not going to get any snaps at first. Palmer hasn't either in his career, but he's learned how to take the "mental snap" which is going through the reads on the sidelines. If you want to say by the end of the season if Thomas could be ready, sure. Belichik went into his 2000 season with a young rookie 6th rounder in tom Brady as his #4 QB, but by the end of the season Brady was the #2.

It takes time for a coach to trust that his backup knows the plays and can run an NFL offense. A training camp, especially in today's NFL camp where they practice once a day if that in camp, there just is not enough time to know that a rookie can be the backup QB, knows the system, NFL playing speed, and step in with no rookie jitters. In 2012, Graham Harrell stepped in for eye poked Aaron Rodgers and on his first NFL regular season snap was just supposed to be a handoff on the goal line, but he tripped on his center, causing a fumble and the Saints recovered. You want to avoid crap like that happening.
  15. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +349 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    74ß
    If Cutler stays healthy, we won't miss McCown at all. Really, with the way our line is pass protecting, I feel better about leaving the #2 QB cupboard bare than I have in quite a while. Posters can point to Cutler's injury history, but it's mostly been concussions from the beatings he was taking with a horrible line and a couple fluke ligament issues. His throwing arm is fine, and he's a pretty tough guy otherwise.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    That's what I was gettin at WNML, day one he's clearly the num 3. By week 12? It's possible that he competes to start if cutler is hurt by then. More importantly he could be a possible long term option or trade bait like mp said.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,757 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    739ß
    i said he'd be trade bait.....*cry*
  18. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +445 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    Lol sorry Ric, apparently I can't read
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    494ß
    I hope Ric. I have no illusions about McCown being a stud QB or anything, but for us he really was. His stats back that up. Can Palmer do as well? I hope so, but I'd prefer not to have to find out. And I agree with you about how well he will do in TB. But I don't care about that. I am more concerned about losing what he was able to do here.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,381 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    494ß
    I am hoping the very same thing. In a way, I'd like to see what Trestman can do with Palmer, but then I really don't :)
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014