Grizz's Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 12, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Not that I know of and after a while I don't think it will let you edit a post. You'd need to begin a new one. Now as I recall any staff member can alter the thread title for you or at least we could when I was on the staff years ago. Check with Ski, or Benji, or Loki. Those three seem to be on most regularly.

These scouting reports and profiles are all over the place sometimes. One says one thing an another something else. I guess that why certain guys end up higher on some teams boards than others and some not at all. Somebody suggested a RB from Arizona in round two yet the kid has had some behavioral issues off field and isn't a strong blocker. Not only does that take him out of round 2 but probably off the Bears board period.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I think that's a situation the Emery is acutely aware of and the biggest reason he over spent on Campbell two years ago. He won't go into battle without a competent vet backup. That much I'm 99% sure of. Trestman will have to guide him on this one. I'm sure they'll bring in a few to get a sense of what they can do and then pick the best one they can and it still may be Palmer. By now he knows the offense so what he really needs is some off season work throwing.
  3. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Replace Thomas with Murray or the kid from LSU
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Fact is he hasn't finished a season in 3 years. Does that mean that he wont this year? no. But given his history we need more than just Palmer to be working and competing just in case. If Palmer can't get it done and Cutler misses time it won't matter what we did to our defense because the season will be railroaded.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    ==
    Mettenberg will prolly go in the 3rd round. As for Murray I'm not sure he makes it past the 4th round, but if he does I wouldn't mind him granted his knee is ready to roll come TC.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Version 3.0-April 8th
    Rd. 1 (14)-HaHa Clinton-Dix. FS, 'Bama
    Donald goes to the Giants at 12, so Dix is the one who falls to 14. No problem or complaint here, we get a player who is going to help us as much if not more due to Conte missing the entire off season that he frankly needed to get back on track. Dix is able to step in day one and be a solid player for us, with potential to turn into a great one for us. He will finally provide the stability that we have missed back there since the days of Mike Brown. Dix can truly do it all, an excellent center fielder who has great ball skills and should surprise some QBs with how well he jumps all over routes. With our vastly upgraded pass rush Dix is put in a position to set the world on fire from day one, jumping routes, making big plays and helping move this unit to the next level. Dix is not your sterotypical FS, who will come up and stone a HB in the open field given the chance. Sure tackler to go along with his excellent coverage skills allows him to bail our defense out when need be and prevent a backbreaking play. In the case that Conte has a solid rebounding year Dix can easily play the SS just as well. Dix has great film against the best college football has to offer, guys he will surly see at the pro level. Bear's fans can sleep easy if Dix falls and ends up wearing the navy and orange.
    Rd. 2 (51)-Jeremy Hill. HB, LSU
    Here's an...interesting pick. We all know Emery loves to bust out a shocker now and then so here it is. Hill shouldn't be available to us at 51 in all reality. 7 years ago he would be a lock for a first round pick along with Hyde. With that said, I'm betting he will be. RB is one position that we can get great value, kinda how the pack did with Lacey last year. Hill was pretty dominant at LSU running for 1,400 yards while sharing carries with two other backs. At 6'1 233 his 40 time was impressive at 4.5 flat at LSU's pro day. Hill is a punishing runner who explodes into defenders with good pad level in order to pick up a few extra yards even with multiple defenders trying to drag him down. Excellent vision, uses a good one cut style once he passes level one in order to get defenders out of position and run through arm tackles without breaking stride. Has the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield when called upon at LSU, and is a dangerous back to put in the open field with anyone due to his ability to put his foot in the ground and run through out of position defenders. He could come in for us day one and take some of the load off Forte who will be 29 this year. Forte has improved, but Hill can take some of the short yardage carries that Forte sometimes still struggles with. His pass blocking is hit or miss, with tape showing he has the ability to use his big frame to stone defenders but isn't as consistent as he should be. Hill would likely be the first RB taken in the late first or very early 2nd if it weren't for him getting in a fight outside a bar last April and being charged with assault. At only 21 years old, he can spell forte for the duration of the rookie deal, at that time Forte will be almost 32 and we can see how he is holding up.
    Rd. 3 (82)-Anthony Johnson. DT, LSU
    A typical 3 tech, Johnson can come in and compete in the rotation for time at our 3 tech. Johnson fits the bill at 305 lbs but is noted for his explosive start and disruptive qualities that we look for in our 3. Quick start with good motor and high upside make this a too good to pass up prospect in the 3rd round. Has always been a good run defender, he developed his pass rush nicely last year and has scouts noting the high upside. We need to get younger on the DL and Johnson can come in and give us quality reps, his play will dictate just how many reps that is.

Rd. 4 (81)- Yawin Smallwood. MLB, UCONN
    Love this guy in the 4th round. Smallwood is a small school guy that will fall due to this fact, and lack of eye popping combine numbers. Smallwood looks the part at 6'3 245 he falls into the category of good players who will drop due to over-emphasis on the combine numbers. A powerful man he excels at run fits and has a knack for blowing up leads in holes resulting in TFL for himself or a teammate. Uses that power and quickness as an effective blitzer when need be. Very quick to diagnose plays and very rarely false steps allows him to make up for lack of elite speed by getting the jump on the play. Great motor, works hard to get in on plays, cleaning up tackles with big hits and putting his helmet on balls to cause turnovers. His physical power and chippy attitude makes him a great block shedder on his way to bringing down carriers. If he is here in the 4th I will be screaming for this pick.
    Rd. 5 (156)- Logan Thomas. QB, VT
    Mocked this guy in the original mock and not changing it now. If you want my long winded summary of him scroll up to previous versions. I'm not going to rewrite for those of you who have read it in all the previous ones. Endless potential, Correctable flaws, phycially superior to all others, we need insurance policy/long term developmental guy. Nothing new here, just like him for the same reasons.
    Rd. 6 (183)- Ross Cockrell. CB, Duke
    Just shy of 6'1 and a good leaper, Cockrell will give us a bigger understudy along with Frey for Tillman's replacement. Does well in both zone and man, he has 12 ints for Duke during his time there. Noted for defending the jump ball well he usually covered the bigger WRs that Duke played. Plays all STs he can do that day one and learn from Tillman to develop. Will compete with Frey in TC for time at NB. His lanky frame allows for him to easily add a good bit of muscle to let him play more physically with WRs. Good athlete with fluid hips.

Rd. 6. (191)- Brock Vereen. S/CB, Minn
    Versatile and loads of potential are two good key words to hear when it comes to a late round guy like Vereen. Is noted for being a sleeper with potential to contribute to a team day one. Will be able to be a ST guy without a doubt. He can work in camp at every DB position on the field and push all 4 spots, likely providing depth. Has the physical attributes of a top prospect, if he can refine his game and develop could be a guy 5 years from now we are wondering how the hell we got him this late A bit more detail in my previous version if you missed it.
    UDFA:
    Ted Bolser- TE, IU---Big with some ball skills. 6'5 250.
    Calvin Barnet- DT, OKST---Prototypical 3tech.
    Keon Lyn- CB, 'Cuse-----Injury bumped this 6'2 physical corner from 4th-6th to UDFA land.
    Punter
    Long Snapper

• Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    starting S check, depth and potental future starters at DT, CB and RB and MLB check, more depth at qb and db check.

good solid mock Grizz.
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Thanks Ric.

You forgot "Erratic Emery pick that comes out of left field" Check
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    ya but that only happens in the 1st, after that he settles in so you get no credit. :1033[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,319 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    Good mock, thanks. I think the 2nd is a little rich for a RB (much rather have a DT, LB, or CB there) but yeah Emery is unpredictable so can't rule it out.

We are finally getting to that last 30 days leading up to the draft and things are starting to narrow a bit. I agree that among those players we have a realistic shot at with #14, Dix and Donald are the cream of the crop for the Bears IMO. They're both clear head of the class in their positions and both would fill a major need with a top-15 worthy prospect. Neither would be a "reach".

I'll be very happy on Day 1 if Emery lands either of them.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,268 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    This year I'll be happy w/anyone in the draft, this draft is deep but not a ton of top end talent so imo there are no CLEAR takes at 14 unless someone falls. Anyone ranked 14-30 is worthy of that 14 pick, that's just how this draft is.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,319 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    I'm thinking in terms of clear 1st round worthy prospects who have college production + measurables (not compromised either way), are good fits, and would be in a position to contribute immediately.

D & D are my two top "wants". That means Phil won't give ether of them a look LOL.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,650 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,147ß

I'd be really pleased to see this guy drafted by the Bears if Trestman truly sees him as worth developing.
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß

Only HB worth a thought at 51 is hill and Clyde. I understand the reserve but if you can fill a need with one of the two best players at 51 it's worth a look.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    So would I, hes climbing the "experts" big boards so i just hope he stays a possibility until the 5th. A team like SF that has a million picks may take him in the 4th. He clearly has the potential to be great, just has to go to the right coach and situation in order to be even successful.
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    868ß
    He is a possibility with Tajh Boyd
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    That's actually one thing I don't like. I have wanted to go back and modify a post but could not. If you posted it, you should be able to edit it regardless of how much time passes. JMO
  18. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Yeah I wish I could edit the thread title to show most recent updates because I don't like flooding the board with all my mocks. Also I like to keep them together so anyone interested can see all the conversations and how the mocks evolve.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    It looks more and more like you may be right on that Giant pick. I think they either go that way or with a big WR like Evans or Ebron the TE. Marshall, Jeffery and Bennett as a combo have a lot of teams looking for aircraft carriers now instead of 5'10" destroyers who run a 4.3 forty. Saw a mock that had it just as you posted only Dix was gone and instead of taking Dennard they had Emery salivating over Hageman and that becomes his pick. Hageman and Nix are the two DL I don't want to see him draft. Neither is a fit and one is an injury risk and the other is gonna need someone to teach him how to play.

Don't know much about the RB in two but I'll take your word for it. If he can run like Lacy he would be a very useful compliment to Forte now and maybe the #1 RB in another year or two. The only question surrounding him are some character issues and those may push him down into the later rounds or off some teams boards completely. His NFL Profile says he's had one arrest for sexual assault (no conviction mentioned) but he was also charged with assault in bar altercation and is on probation until July 2015. Mucho red flags on this guy.

There are some risks on all of the remaining DTs at this point and it's sounds like this kid is gonna need a lot of work before he'll have much of an impact. I'd be looking at Sutton as maybe more day one ready and that kid Reid from Princeton is an interesting 3 tech prospect too. I know Emery likes these SEC guys so once we get past Donald or Jernigan I guess I'll leave it up to them to decide who fit best. There are at least 3 or 4 who could fit down in the 3rd or 4th rounds.

I know they spoke with Smallwood at the Combine but beyond that I don't know much about him. I guess I'm more enamored of the Big Ten guys here. I have more confidence in Borland and Bullough and the competition they played against but that doesn't mean much. Somewhere around the 3r or 4th I think they should be looking for a MLB so Smallwood may fit too.
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,319 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    365ß
    I'm still firmly on the "D wagon" in the first. Dix or Donald.

Like 'em both and one at minimum looks likely to be there at 14. Either would fit and fill a big need.