Grizz's Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 12, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,066ß
    Ratings:
    +4,518 / 10 / -8
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I hate to say this but I a gree w/WNML, he would be the 3rd best QB...THIS YEAR behind Cutler and Palmer, next 2 years he's the backup and potentially trade bait or a Cutler replacement the year after that, depending on how Cutler has preformed and how Thomas has.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,707ß
    Ratings:
    +3,566 / 13 / -0
    McCown being gone has been glossed over, but I think it is the most meaningful loss by far that we have had. It could literally cost us the season if Cutler goes down and we don't have a QB that can win games. We've seen it before and we are pretty much in the same position as we were when it happened previously. I really do see it as a possibility that is more than remote.

3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,066ß
    Ratings:
    +4,518 / 10 / -8
    BiH, I think you are overstating just how good McCown was, I think Palmer can do equally as good w/Trestmans treatment and 2 pro bowl WR's and a pro bowl RB and marty B at TE and a really STOUT OL.

You'll see just how far down to earth McCown crashes now that he's in TB.

4. weneedmorelinemen

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -1
    It takes time for a rookie to come up to speed. He's not going to get any snaps at first. Palmer hasn't either in his career, but he's learned how to take the "mental snap" which is going through the reads on the sidelines. If you want to say by the end of the season if Thomas could be ready, sure. Belichik went into his 2000 season with a young rookie 6th rounder in tom Brady as his #4 QB, but by the end of the season Brady was the #2.

It takes time for a coach to trust that his backup knows the plays and can run an NFL offense. A training camp, especially in today's NFL camp where they practice once a day if that in camp, there just is not enough time to know that a rookie can be the backup QB, knows the system, NFL playing speed, and step in with no rookie jitters. In 2012, Graham Harrell stepped in for eye poked Aaron Rodgers and on his first NFL regular season snap was just supposed to be a handoff on the goal line, but he tripped on his center, causing a fumble and the Saints recovered. You want to avoid crap like that happening.

5. weneedmorelinemen

ßearz ßuckz:
    447ß
    Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -1
    If Cutler stays healthy, we won't miss McCown at all. Really, with the way our line is pass protecting, I feel better about leaving the #2 QB cupboard bare than I have in quite a while. Posters can point to Cutler's injury history, but it's mostly been concussions from the beatings he was taking with a horrible line and a couple fluke ligament issues. His throwing arm is fine, and he's a pretty tough guy otherwise.

6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    481ß
    Ratings:
    +681 / 3 / -0
    That's what I was gettin at WNML, day one he's clearly the num 3. By week 12? It's possible that he competes to start if cutler is hurt by then. More importantly he could be a possible long term option or trade bait like mp said.

• Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,066ß
    Ratings:
    +4,518 / 10 / -8
    i said he'd be trade bait.....*cry*

8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    481ß
    Ratings:
    +681 / 3 / -0
    Lol sorry Ric, apparently I can't read

9. Bearsinhouston

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,707ß
    Ratings:
    +3,566 / 13 / -0
    I hope Ric. I have no illusions about McCown being a stud QB or anything, but for us he really was. His stats back that up. Can Palmer do as well? I hope so, but I'd prefer not to have to find out. And I agree with you about how well he will do in TB. But I don't care about that. I am more concerned about losing what he was able to do here.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,707ß
    Ratings:
    +3,566 / 13 / -0
    I am hoping the very same thing. In a way, I'd like to see what Trestman can do with Palmer, but then I really don't :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014