Grizz's Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 12, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    This is how I see it to, and I still cannot see Donald beating out Ratliff for starting DT, but Pryor or Dix is a day 1 starter
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Donald would be in competition at the 3 not the two so he would compete with Collins and Paea prolly. He would probably win that, but his real impact would be another quality guy in the rotation. As it is now Paea is probably a better 2 tech but he will play some 3 with Ratliff in there at 2 as it stands now. If we did draft Donald it prolly allows a 2 by 2 rotation up front with Rat and Paea at 2 and Donald and Collins at 3.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    I still beleive Ratliff is looking at playing the 3 more IF the team is runs a 4-3 under like they did last year. Donald allows for something they don't have right now so it wouldn't make me feel bad if we grabbed him; Im just not as sold on him as everyone else is, I think he'll be really good just don't think he's a full tier above everyo other DT.
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    I have the same feeling. I feel like Donald is the safer pick, both now and long term but there are others with a higher ceiling, both now and long term. This is where Emery's ability to scout and assess are going to have to shine. I think at 14 he will be faced with the opposite of his first 2 drafts. Instead of looking for a plan b to who I'm sure they were targeting, I think he will have to pick between a few guys who all could easily be our top pick.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    I don't even know that he doesn't have as high or a higher ceiling; I just don't think that heigth is higher then a guy like Gilbert/Dix/Pryor have compared to guys like Ward/Buccannon/Loston/SJB
  6. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Logan Thomas has a nice arm and a high ceiling. If you can get him at 114 that would be a good value.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    I would love Thomas in the 4th, his potential to develop and have a high performing qb is through the roof compared to most you will find in the mid rounds this year, IF he gets a guy like Trestman to work w/him.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    You have a point with Ratliff. I think he is going to start, but obviously could be rotated. That may be the biggest argument against Donald, and is a pretty obvious one also.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    563ß
    BiH, the biggest thing is do they move him to NT or keep him as a DT, it will tell us if they plan on playing a 4-3 over or under; one has the DT next to the RDE the other has the DT next to the LDE. Ratliff and Allen will probably be playing next to eachother and last year the DT was next to the RDE although I think it's pretty clear they won't be running the Lovie cover 2 so who knows.

NT and the team is probably drafting a "classic" 3 dt, DT and they are probably looking for a NT that can also play DT.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Any way they go, I think this is a safe statement. They really value versatility and they alluded to playing a little bit of both type looks.
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,676 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    Just read an article on the odds for each player they might take in one.

Donald would have been highest but he thought he wouldn't last so he thinks they'll take Hageman before a Safety and thinks Ward is the highest ranked Safety on their board and if he's still on the board in two that's who they'll take. The other two spots LB and CB had Shazier and Fuller as their top guys.

Just one man's opinion but what he was backing it with on Pryor and Dix is that neither are elite players who are an exact fit for the Bears and despite his injury Ward actually tested better and the Combine and has the more productive college career. I don't know if I buy this 100% because of Clint Hurtt and his familiarity with Pryor but to me the Ward pick makes sense if he lasts that long.

I don't like Hageman at all but the writer felt Emery would fall in love with his size and his upside. Me, I don't like his downside.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,676 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    Au contraire. The gap between Donald and Quarles is massive. Not even close. Take Clowney off that team and how well does Quarles do plus he's got an ugly body. The two guys who probably rate next are Hageman and Reid but I don't like Hageman.

If Uncle Phil passes on Donald if he's there he's an idiot. This kid is an elite 3 tech DT and neither Dix or Pryor are at that level as Safeties Donald is one of the few guys in this draft with no real holes in his game. His size and his limitation to playing DT are about the only things I can see that give him a chance of falling to #14 and that's still 50/50 at best.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,676 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,138ß
    Yes, Ratliff and Paea are both Shade NTs and although you could play them at DT you weaken the defense overall when you do that, especially with Ratliff. The guy is a former 4 time Pro Bowler at NT. Moving him to DT would be like moving Briggs to MLB. Why do that if you don't need to?

Collins is, or was pre-injury, a good #2 guy at DT and could fill for Paea at NT in the rotation but with Ratliff on board he no longer needs to do that. The guy we need is that 3 tech DT and if Donald isn't there then they either wait or the take a gamble on a freak like Hageman who could probably play anywhere on that line or DE in a 3-4.

He's a risky pick but when hasn't Emery made some risky picks? McClellin, Jeffery, Long, Hardin and maybe even Bostic over Arthur Brown. I hate Hageman but I'm getting more used to the idea that he may just be this years surprise pick if Donald is off the board. He fits the kind of athletic freak Emery loves and both McClellin and Long have those same traits.
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    I expected Paea to be more dominant than I have seen out of him so far. He has the attributes, but so far, I just think he has been ok (average)
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    I agree abe, he is actually my favorite later QB prospect for us to take a shot on. I think with the right coaching (Trestman) and a good unit in place (Bmarsh, AJ, Forte, Buni, Oline) he could correct his accuracy and read issues and be a great player. It would help that he had a minimum of 3 years barring injury before he had to play. Good situation for both IMO.
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +595 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    461ß
    Agree Logan Thomas and Tom Savage.

upload_2014-4-18_12-17-23.png

upload_2014-4-18_12-18-46.png
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Devil's advocate. Even with Clowny drawing doubles, Quarles still racked up 9 and a half sacks in the SEC. Against players that for the most part end up getting drafted and playing in the NFL. Donald played in the ACC, and Pitt had a weak conference schedule, only ranked teams at all this year were FSU, Duke, ND. I'm not taking away from what he did but there are factors for any players numbers. If you flipped the two, I would guess Donald and Quarles would both put up similar numbers on the opposite teams.

I didn't mean that we play Ratliff at 3, nor paea. I was pointing out that if we went donald (or any other true 3) we would have a nice 2 by 2 rotation up front. Ratliff and Paea playing the 2 and Colllins and rookie playing the 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    Some of my current thought's. Some may be gone so I included more than one after the first round
    14 Pryor possibly the best safety
    51 double down at safety J Ward or Deone Buchannon. If both gone Phillip Gaines CB from Rice. Gaines is 6' and 193 pounds and run a 4.38 in the 40.
    82 DT time - Ergo Ferguson (LSU) or DaQuan Jones (Penn State) or A Johnson (LSU)
    117 Tight End time - C Fiedorowicz (Iowa) or Xavier Gimble (USC) or Joe Don Duncan (Dixie State)
    156 ILB time - Max Bullough (MS) or Yarwin Smallwood (CT)
    183 QB time - D Fales (San Jose State) or Logan Thomas VT. Logan would need to work on fundamentals, specifically footwork to improve accuracy. big and strong (6'-6" 248 pounds) could d be another Big Ben.
    191 Running Back time - Tyler Gaffney (Stanford) or James White (WI) or Marion Grice (AS)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    That right there is the issue in a nutshell. You hit it on the head. We simply don't know. The data is dissected every which way and you can make valid arguments for different guys based on valid data. In the end, you've got just an educated guess. Some guys will play well and some won't. And we won't know what side of the fence they are on until half way through the season. Some will still blossom after the season. So who the hell knows. We can be happy or mad at whatever Phil does in the draft but all that means is that his picks are different than our picks. And it's all meaningless because until they play the games, we really only know if we got our favorites... not if we got the best player. That comes after it's all over. I don't get too worked up about it because just because I want someone doesn't mean he will be the best.

Whoever we get in the first needs to make a major impact. That happened last year and everyone was happy. If that happens this year, it will matter much less what position the person plays than it will matter how many plays they make that affect the game.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    For now, I will trust Phil. The guys he select even if I personally disagree I will root for and trust his decision making. The Shea pick (who I STILL contend was heavily influenced by Lovie) is the only knock on Phil's record and with him at SAM we can't write him off as a bust just yet. There will be guys that I'm more excited about than others but at the end of the day I trust Phil and whoever he picks we all have no choice but to root for. Even if its not our favorites.