Grizz's Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Grizzblue, Mar 12, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    Hardin is a kock also, big time bust, and is considered the biggest fail in that draft class, that included Shea.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Yep completely agree. Alot of fans (and us) had serious reserves about him when he made that pick. That seems to be Emery's draft ideals though, riverboat gambling
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Semi-Final Version, One week to go: May 1st

Round 1 (14) Calvin Pryor. S, Louisville

Sticking with this pick. We have all discussed this pick and I won't bore anyone by restating what's already been said. I think Dix is off the board, possibly at the pick right before us but Pryor is an extremely close second IMO. I don't think there is much gap if any between the two so we don't have to feel thisat we are settling for anyone. Honestly would not shock me if we ended up with Dix, but given the recent S trend I think he will go before we are on the clock. Pryors a hard hitter, great in run support and can more than hold his own in coverage. Combine that with a tire fire S corps on our roster, and a significant dropoff in talent and value if we pass until a later round...not a very complicated decision IMO.
    Round 2 (51) Jermey Hill. HB, Louisianan State
    Yeah, this is a bit out of the box and out of the ordinary but hey, no fun in reading the same old same old right? But seriously, if Hill is still there he deserves consideration. Very well may be the best HB in the draft. He has low mileage on him from college but was extremely productive in a three headed monster attack the Tigers used on the ground this year. Powerful runner but not one dimensional. Has feet and deceptive speed and quickness for a bigger back that can get defenders out of position and then run through bad angle or arm tackles like they are not even there. Forte is approaching the dreaded big 3-0 and with the amount of abuse we have put him through makes him an injury risk. I know its not popular, but if happens ya heard it here first.
    Round 3 (82) Kelcy Quarles. DT, South Carolina
    Here is our 3tech that we need. Prototypical 3 tech that had tremendous production in the SEC. 9 and a half sacks last year. Disruptive, tenacity and fills a need to add youth to our DL. He can likely start working in the rotation from day one and could very well take over the starting role if he comes as advertised. The 2nd best 3 tech IMO next to Donald, Quarles has a lower floor but equally high if not higher ceiling. Great value and fills a need.
    Round 4 (117) Louchiez Purifoy. CB, Flordia
    Tillman's understudy here. He is the big CB we need and Emery slightly hinted that some are correct in thinking we will be looking for a bigger guy for the long term starter opposite Jennings. Jennings is just too small to cover some of the big WRs and as talented as he is, he can be victimized by jump balls. Purifoy is one of the guys I look for to be a gem in this draft. Many called him a shutdown corner in college and doesn't have numbers due to the fact he wasn't thrown at very much. When thrown at, he was able to answer the bell. Other than his borderline shutdown coverage, I can't help but notice how he goes after the ball like some kind of rabid dog. Always looking to force a turnover and rip the ball out almost remidns me of Tillman in that sense too. Has a knack to block kicks as a sidenote. Fits all of what we are looking for and has a very high ceiling.
    Round 5 (156) Logan Thomas. QB, Virginia Tech
    I know what Emery said today, but frankly I don't buy it. We need at very minimum a qb3, but could easily find us needing a backup if Palmer can't get it done. I would be tempted to skip qb this draft and just pray that Cutler doesn't get hurt, but his injury history is cause for concern. While I hope it never comes to a battle between Thomas and Palmer for surrogate starter at QB, this pick would at least give us another high ceiling option. I've noted before why I like him as a player, won't bore anyone by restating that.
    Round 6 (183) Jack Tyler. MLB, Virginia Tech
    Been over this one before too. There is something about his very sound technique that I like, paired with his quick reads he makes. Not a flashy player by any means but I've read a few reports that some scouts like him as a late sleeper to stick in the NFL. Solid run defender in college and showed coverage ability, but will have to improve to stick. We have to take some chances at backup spots, and in this mock its MLB. Other than that, I've been over what is to like about him.
    Round 6 (191) Ross Cockrell. CB, Duke
    Another bigger CB to throw into the mix. A candidate to play move to safety as Emery noted that all longer CBs will be looked at to move. He is able to play both and can prove ST help and long term depth/dev. Has some solid coverage skills and tape against some coveted WRs such as Watkins and Benjamin. More depth is always good where we have nothing to note at safety and are looking to replace a historically great CB.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    not a fan of Purifoy, ONLY b/c of his size. I think this mocks shows that a HB in the 2nd isn't completely off the wall, as even I have thought. I'd still rather get a guy like Borland and a guy like Storm over this, but like you said, why go w/the same stuff over and over.
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I think our best kept secret of storm may be out of the bag Ric lol. Mocks I saw recently have him shooting from the 7th round to the 5th. Still would be good value IMO if we passed on Hill in favor of a guy like Borland like you said.
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    lol for some reason I was thinking you took that LB in the 5th :)
  7. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +170 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    117ß
    Im not sure what Jeremy Hill at #2 would do at Halas Hall.

The team has clearly gone AIRBALL with Trestman, and Forte although turning 30

will be used less because of the team going airball.

I could see us passing thru anything including fourth down.

Forte and Ford for goal line issues.
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Jackie, you cant be one dimensional or your offense is going to fail. You still have to be able to run the ball esp in the crappy playoff weather in chicago. Hill is a good blocker and has catching ability so he will also help in the pass game. And Like you said, Forte is on the verge of 30 and thats dangerous real estate for a RB.

I hope Tyler would make it to the 6th. I think he's a sneaky player, probably never a great one but lots of scouts think he will have a pro career.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    LOL... Grizz a one dimensional offense is still better than Tices zero dimensional offense. He never got the run or the pass to be effective. I guess that's what they call a well balanced offense.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    How has Chicago gone completely airborn:
    Pass attempts: 579
    Rush Attempts: 366
    The attempted passed 61% of the time to rushes.
    Those #'s are only 4-7% higher then under Tice and Martz. Who Passed 54-57% of the time.

And that's not taking into consideration all the passes to the RB's, that this team looked at as rushes.

I think the team is going to go more O then even I thought, and possibly early Grizz, Emery said this draft is slanted to O, so I don't think they'll take D players just b/c we need D players, if the team doesn't think the guy can help they won't go there.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +998 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I generally like your mock. And I do agree that Pryor seems like the most likely at 14 now.

I guess I'd rather tweak it a little differently as Ric suggested but I agree that drafting a RB should be a priority. The 2nd seems about 2 rounds high to me but I can't disagree with your motivation.
  12. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The more I think about it I rather have the Bears go with CJ Mosley if Ha Ha is gone.
    The pick up Lemarcus Joyner in the second a true FS and not a SS like Pryor. Then pick best DT in the 3rd. CJ Mosley seems like he could make a bigger impact then Pryor
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I'm thinking the same thing, Thursday cannot get here soon enough. I think we are in for a surprise at some point and I agree that the team will go O earlier than anyone thinks. I think RB and QB are the most likely and if Emery sees someone he thinks will help more than any D player on the board I have no doubt he will take them.
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    A bigger impact backing up Briggs than a day one starting SS? He's a will or a 3-4 ILB. If this class had a single blue chip 4-3 Mike then Mosley would't be talked about as a potential Mike. There isn't one however, so some want to try to pound a square peg into a round hole. Not to mention the injury concerns.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    Grizz it's your opinion that he's only a 3-4 ILB, I cannot find 1 scouting report that agrees that he couldn't play 4-3 ILB, most just say it's not his best suit, but could do it.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß

LOL RIC. Ding Ding round 129 on this one.:rofl:

We differ on opinions, when I see "better suited for Will" I read "not a mike" and you read "possibly a mike" and neither is going to change. I see the value in him and if we were back at 25ish then I would be all on board for a talented player like him. At 14 I just think we have better options.

We all have our own opinions and the good news is only 5 more days over this and we can have some answers and see how it all pans out.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,022 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    ah hell.... I'm going to hate having to watch football. I was kind of hoping we could just keep doing mocks into February. We could mock the games too...
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    To be fair I'd be happy w/a legit WILL for when Briggs goes down this year, and I cannot see him not w/wearing a Shoulder Harness all year.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    And I think we have one in Bostic. I think Mosley is a better player day one than Bostic was last year. But the gap with a year of difference may be narrower than some think. A first round LB is just premature IMO.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    295ß
    Team is still holding out hope that Bostic is their future middle or SAM, opposite Shea in the same positional battle. I'm not in agreeance w/that, but it's what is currently happening.