Guess who is 7th in the entire NFL in QB rating? (QB's with at least 70 pass attempts)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 12, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    Josh McCown, 7th in the entire NFL, with a 103.2 rating. Who knew?

[​IMG]

LINK
  2. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,075 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    seems a bit of a stretch, most qb's have 70 pass attempts 2 games in, and therefore most starting qb's have had 70 pass attempts 6 games ago.

Again Trestman is showing that he can make ANY qb look significantly better, his entire career is taking guys and upping their games, and he's done it here w/both.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    You gotta like his attitude and he is very humble. While I would like to have him back here again next year, it would not surprise me if some desperate team out there offered him an oppotunity to come be a starter while they groom a rookie.

If he plays well against the Ravens, people are going to start to take notice.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,075 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    md, no one "grooms" rookie qb's anymore. They start them. Rodgers, Romo and Kaep are the only ones "groomed" to be starters, and I'm not sure Romo was actually ever expected to become a starter. McCown is playing out of his mind right now, thank god for the Bears, but his age and history will prevent him from becoming a starter somewhere.

Think of it this way, do you really want Josh starting for the Bears next year if they let Cutler walk and draft a new qb? You really want him as the guy week in week out as more and more teams get game film and are able to strategize against him and his inability to stretch the field? He's a more mobile Orton, and in Denver when KO finally got his shot he started 8-0, and couldn't get a winning record after that b/c teams figured out his weaknesses and he couldn't overcome them....btw Orton has a stronger arm then McCown also.

My best guess, and I won't like it, we FT Cutler(he won't sign a 3-4 year deal it's not in his interest) keep McCown and draft a 3-4 round qb just in case Cutler doesn't work out. I'd perfer to draft a qb in the 2nd-3rd groom them to start(b/c we have a legitimate qb wizard on our hands as HC) and keep McCown as backup(b/c the only time you want a vet backup is when you have a rookie qb). Then the next year draft another qb to back him up. 2 young qb's, ala Redskins, for Trestman to work on and groom...I'd be in heaven, and the cap room it creates would put the Bears in heaven.
  6. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    I am one person that is 100% sure Cutler is the QB we need now and in the years to come, but if we can't get a LTD done this off season with Cutler we will need to draft a QB earily, where we draft him will come down to who we can get in FA to help the Defense. But drafting our next starter beyond the 4th round comes down to luck or a waste. Emery has a big job in getting the Defense back on track this off season we won't need to draft a QB but if we do so be it, its the NFL, top players come and go every year.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    If McCown has a good showing against the Ravens other teams will take notice, and he will get work next year. I hope it is from the Bears, but there are teams like the Vikes, Browns and the Jags that would likely be very interested in finding a vet like McCown. Those teams took a chance on an inexperienced or rookie QB and it has not worked out well for them.

I doubt highly that Josh is coaching HS football next year, unless he gets injured, he will have a job somewhere, and I would not doubt if he gets a shot at starting. The Key is that he will have to play well against the Ravens.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    I'm just grateful we have a decent backup this year in McCown. He's not a starter quality QB, and I don't expect him to be at that level. But for a backup, he's done pretty well. His best quality is that he seems to be smart about protecting the football. So many games are determined by turnovers. Half the battle is just not giving opponents the football - especially deep in your own territory.

I just posted this as a "bright spot" so we have something positive. In hindsight, I should have put it in Henry's "optimistic" thread. My bad.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I'm not trying to imply that Josh is a Starting Caliber QB, because he is not. But if he manages to pull off a win against the Packers and the Ravens, and he has performed well in relief, there are some teams out there that have been burnt trying to force a rookie into the starting role that might over react and offer him an opportunity and a contract.

I'm saying that it would not surprise me.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    heck, I'm actually thinking that in the right system (like Trestman's) he IS starter quality. I'm not advocating to start him over Cutler (except when Cutler is injured -- like what should have happened last weekend), but if we didn't have Cutler, based on what McCown has done, I'd have no issue with him as our starter. I'd never even have thought that a few weeks ago, but I'm ok with it now if need be.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    I agree that McCown's age is a barrier towards becoming a starting QB in this league. But what does his history have to do with anything? You have to look at how well the player is producing now. McCown's performance during his time in Arizona isn't relevant. I know that statement is going to cause you to break out the calculator and tell me his lifetime completion percentage, but there are more important questions that an NFL team should ask themselves.

Is he healthy? Can he move and make plays with his feet? Is his arm strong enough to make plays? Is he able to learn an NFL offense? Can he play under pressure? Is he making plays now? This isn't baseball and batting averages. There is so much more to consider, especially since much of McCown's success is from his level of preparedness and the strength of our receivers and line protection.

They aren't letting Cutler walk this offseason. I just don't see it. Every time someone asks this question on the Score, which feels like every 15 minutes, they say that from what Emery and Trestman have shown in their interviews and attitude, they are keeping Cutler. If they keep Cutler, I hope they keep McCown. They have a good relationship with each other, he knows this system, and I think having McCown around will help Jay with his weaknesses in ball control.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. ram29jackson

ram29jackson Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 4 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    this is wonderful and all but Cutler has a high ankle sprain along with his other injury and the Bears lost to Detroit. What looked like a good run is a shaky bunch of stuff now
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,250 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    I think we are keeping Cutler, prob via the FT. A LTD is possible depending upon how reasonable Cutler is. On one hand, he's definitely made strides and is in the top 1/3rd or so of starting QBs in the league now (Rivers/Romo level). On the other hand, he hasn't stayed healthy enough to play a full season since 2009, he hasn't demonstrated the ability to consistently win big games, and he isn't in his 20s anymore. I do hope Jay realizes that his current setup is his best chance to succeed and that Emery isn't Jerry Jones (not gonna hand him the keys to the vault with the franchise tag and an upcoming deep draft in his back pocket).

They have to keep McCown which shouldn't be too hard given his refreshing humility and non-egotistical attitude. He'd be great to have around to mentor a 3rd-4th round rookie and has shown the ability in the TCO to get you a couple wins as a backup (which is all you could possibly ask of any vet 2nd stringer). In fact, if the D had gotten one damn stop in Washington and Trestman had pulled Cutler in the 2nd Q when he was clearly not 100%/hurt vs Detroit, McCown could easily be 3-0 right now. 2-1 at worst. Valuable guy to have around and a lot of teams would kill to have a vet backup with those qualities.

It will give us a lot to talk about in the offseason and sports writers looooovvve "QB controversies", but we are actually in pretty good shape there going forward. No reason I see that either of these guys won't be a Bear next year (along with a draftee). Good "problem" to have. Emery is gonna have his hands full trying to duct tape the defense back together as it his so I don't see a need to add QB to his list of woes.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,075 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    No you don't, at least GM's won't. They will see a 35yr old qb next year that had one great season out of his career, it will be looked at as an outlier, that came more from his HC being a great qb coach then the actual player itself. GM's don't bring in 35 year old career backups to be their starters b/c they had one great season, it just doesn't happen.
  15. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    Dude, are you saying that the only reason McCown is playing well right now is because of Trestman and no credit should be given to McCown himself?

His age is a factor. That was the first sentence I typed. I don't believe he will be a starting QB because a team cannot build around him long term. But, if he were younger by three years, what would his history in Arizona as a rookie have to do with anything if he is playing at a capable level now?
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,075 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    History says Trestman gets the lions share of the credit yes, both Trestmans history and McCowns history say that the primary ingrediant to his high level of play is Trestman.

Now give all the credit to McCown for absorbing the information and allowing himself to grow and improve, but if you're a GM why would you want a 35 year old starting qb who has been a career failure except for 1 year when that 1 year was w/one of the best QB coaches of the modern era? You wouldn't. You'd go w/a young much cheaper qb and groom them, or a younger starter that has shown far more upside previously, ie a guy like Cutler or Schaub. If you are listening to anyone on the team and any analysts you will know that McCown is limited in what he can do, he cannot make all the throws that a starting qb needs to.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    McCown's not a starter, end of story. Look at how well Jason Campbell is playing in Cleveland this year, with a real OC (Norv Turner), and you'll see that, for Chicago, it's always been an incredibly flawed offensive system, that has been holding the team back, not mainly average players. McCown is also 34, and, if you need a weather man to tell you to wear an umbrella when it's raining, I'll clue you in: he's too old to be anything of permanent value to this team, and any hypothetical situations brought up for pondering are just stupid. Dude's 34, throws like a girl and "plays smart", which is just a euphemism for "Knows he's very limited with his arm strength, so he doesn't try the throws that Cutler does".
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    Henry:

While I appreciate your telling me what to think (makes things easier for me), we disagree. I think in a system like we have, McCown is starter quality. He is too old to do it much longer, but he does not have much wear and tear, and by starter quality, I mean that his results are comparable to other starters in the league. He is able to come back from a deficit, he can move the ball, and he can score. He is not the most nimble, nor does he have the strongest arm, but not everyone else that is starting does.

He would not be my pick over Cutler, but that does mean that he is not of starter level quality for this offense.

So while I am not telling you what what anyone should be thinking, "end of story", those are my opinions. They are different than yours. The board is big enough for both, I think.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    I figure let's just be thankful we have a solid backup this year. Most years we haven't even had a solid starter. As a backup, McCown is really solid. Certainly he is a better backup than 90% of the other teams in the NFL have. I don't care if he's a starter or not. Just want him to be a good backup for us. Normally when your starter goes down to long term injury, your season ends there. But I have the feeling we have a backup who can actually help us win a few games. And if we do lose some games with him at QB, it probably won't be him who loses the games for us. Heaven knows we have plenty of other positions that can now lose games for us (on defense).
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,075 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    I respect your opinion BiH, but it has no basis in how the NFL works, your points are valid but no GM is putting himself on the line for a 35 yr old qb w/no arm strength and that is what we are talking about. He's not the starting qb for the Bears next year, that is Cutler or a rookie, and no team otuside of the Bears is going to sign him as a starter, if Campbell and Orton cannot be starters, then neither is McCown.

And again I go back to Orton's first 8 games in Den compared to the rest of his time there. The more tape teams get on McCown, just like Orton, the more limited he will become. It took teams 8 games to figure Orton out, it won't take that long to figure out McCown's tendencies and start to crowd the box b/c of his lack of arm.
    • Like Like x 1