Guess who is 7th in the entire NFL in QB rating? (QB's with at least 70 pass attempts)

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,222ß
    Ric -- I respect your opinion also. And unlike some, I am not saying I am right. I'm just saying that is my opinion. I personally would not want to have McCown as my starter because of many of the things we discussed and you re-iterated, but in my opinion... If you become completely impartial and take away the names of the various QBs, and you just are looking at performance and statistics for this season on a piece of paper, I think McCown is right there. That is my definition of starter quality. If you are doing as well as the other starters, and you take out all biases (by not knowing who the QB is or their age) then logically that would mean you are of the same quality as the others with those same results (actually he has better than most).
    • Like Like x 2
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    No I agree, this season, by itself, only stats, he's as good on paper as any QB on paper, hence top 7. Know how some people refer to guys outkicking their coverage when they marry a woman WAY better looking then the guy is; that's what McCown is doing right now, honestly I hope he continues to do it, it's only good for the Bears.

Problem is no GM will look at only 1 season as a stand alone on paper only decision. They will look at age, name, and prior history to make their decision.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,222ß
    I totally agree. Plus, these decisions are always partially subjective and they are going to look at age and past performance. Who wouldn't?

but yeah, right now I think he is right there with any QB. Wooda thunk it?
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    I wouldn't have, there was no reason for anyone to think it. Nothing about his previous play over the course of his career would have thought his play would be THIS good. I thought he'd be better, but to think he'd be THIS much better is unheard of. I cannot wait to see what Trestman can do w/a young truly talented qb that has an high ceiling.
  5. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Wait a minute, now Trestman is one of the best QB coaches of the modern era? That's a bit much. Now, I like Trestman, but there are a few coaches that rank a bit higher.

When McCown threw a touchdown to Marshall in GB with a 300 pound defensive end trying to pull him down, credit goes to Trestman? Sorry, but the guy out there making the plays gets the lion's share of the credit. What Trestman gets credit for is having a QB friendly system, and properly identifying that our offensive line was dogcrap and getting the coaches and players to fix it. But all that would be for nothing if his QB did not know what was going on.

Allow himself to grow and improve? Awww, man, that doesn't even mean anything. Is that what's been holding McCown back? He just was not allowing himself to grow and improve? All this time wasted, but now, blam, the light turned on in his head since Trestman showed up and Josh is totally focused on both growing and improving.

McCown had gotten practically zero practice reps with the 1's until after the Washington game. The entirety of the coaches time has been focused on Cutler. The guy has a great work ethic. He took the time to learn the system and work within the system. If it were that easy Cutler would have a lot fewer red zone turnovers this season.

And in response to your most recent reply that no one would have thought McCown was capable of this, Trestman knew. I'm sure Trestman especially liked the touchy feely way McCown relates to the younger players as a teacher. He knew he could run his offense. That's why there was no chance of Blanchard beating him as the #2 during preseason.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Ya, go look at the qb's Trestman has coached, and how they did signifcantly BETTER after being coached by him. Is he the inventor of the WCO or some other great O system, no, but then again I didn't say he was a great HC or OC, but strictly qb coach, hell yes he's one of the best.

He made one amazing pass....well let's all stand and golf clap for him....does he get a cookie too? He's a pro F'n qb, backup or not he should be able to throw up a prayer to one of the best WR's and allow him to make a play, someone drapped over him or not. And ya, even if Cutler throws that pass it's a prayer.

No he didn't have coaches capable of improving him, McCown had a lot to improve and Trestman, as he has always done, has got it out of him. No I don't think Trestman knew what he had in McCown, it's well known that McCown is here b/c he's a vet and b/c he's no threat to Cutler, who he's also close friends with, his ability to play at an incredibly high level was never in the equation. Did they think he could play well enough to win ya, but this is a completely different level of play.
  7. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    You don't think the greatest QB coach of the modern era knew what he had in Josh McCown?
  8. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +665 / 3 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    449ß
    Chad Pennington?
    • Like Like x 3
  9. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    Chad Henne ! Who was the guy on this board that had a hard on for Chad Pennington?
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    I do think he knew. He knew he had a vet guy that didn't threaten his starter and actually made him feel comfortable b/c of their friendship. I think he knew that McCown was competent for a few games if Cutler went down. No no one could have thought McCown could have played this well, including McCown.

One of the greatest coach, Bill Parcels, didn't know if he had a starting qb in Romo.
    Arguably the greatest HC's didn't know what he had in Brady. So to think that, even the greats know what they have on their bench is far fetched.
  11. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    In one sentence you say Trestman is the greatest QB coach of all time, and in the next you say he cannot evaluate the skill level of his backup QB. Do you see the problem here?

It's not like he showed up, and when he was asked what he wanted to do about the backup QB situation he just gave the job to whoever was still in the building. Eh, it's the backup for his first head coaching gig, what's the harm in some chump that isn't very good. Cutler likes him, and he's a good teacher.

See, I think Trestman is a very good offensive mind. I don't think he's the best QB coach of the modern era, but he's very good. And I think of all the positions he is qualified to judge, QBs are his specialty. I think, since he did not pare down his playbook when McCown went in against Washington, that he knew exactly what his backup QB was capable of. Because you disliked McCown to such an intense degree doesn't factor into this. Trestman knew what he had.

And Parcells knew he had a good guy in Romo. You don't hang on to a UDFA for what was it, three years, if you don't like what you got. He just waited a bit longer before felt he was ready to start him. And Belichick knew what he had in Brady was something special in 2001. Maybe not at the time of the draft, but it took practically no time for Brady to go from 4th string in the beginning of the 2000 season to the #2 backup QB by the end of the season.
  12. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    OK ........ Time for my two cents.
    I think that the Bears have been a virtual wasteland regarding GOOD QB's & coaches for so long that we can't recognize which is responsible for the success.
    IMHO it's a combination of both. Proper coaching, play calling and recognition of talent sets up the QB for success.
    They both have to fit together.
    :D
    • Like Like x 3
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    521ß
    Fuck all of this shit ... lets put a TEAM on the field ... lets see what the fuck happens then.