Guys, we should all be extremely grateful that Emery is our GM

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 25, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    Sustained success in the NFL, within the constraints of the salary cap, is dependent upon getting the most mileage out of your draft picks. Augment that with judicious FA acquisitions as necessary, but don't spend money like a drunken sailor there. Hopefully, this past draft is indicative of the future under Emery's tenure. Hopefully, he has the scouting department at a level where we have very few misses - especially Shea M. type misses.
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    did you read Barnwell's article, JABF?
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    Yes, that's a quote from the article. I "get it" about the 'boys made all kind of bad moves, including contract extensions that were stupid. Stupid is as stupid does....
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  5. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I have a feeling that Emery loves to explore and take risks on the lesser known. He also has shown his willingness to gamble with first round commodities. There will be misses. In General, however, I think it is a good thing. It does not appear he has any issues on pulling the trigger on prospects with limited tape. Phil and his staff did good work this year, but he is looking for that edge, no doubts about it.

One of the things I recall he mentioned about Shea after the draft was the fact he played SAM during the Senior Game. He stated that it was fortunate that he was being showcased as a linebacker because they saw him as a DE...

Sometime me thinks HE thinks too much.

He did have some valid reasoning then to support the flawed results we are observing now. Ie. the weight gain (that now seems unsustainable) and the breaking point of taped attributes taken to the next level of play (shedding blocks). Shea did and still has many quality attributes, he still is a good football player IMO.

If your going to fail or bust with picks... I am SO much happier to accept flawed theory than a miss on a player's character. When the JaMarcus Russells of the world take a shit all over your team and cast a shadow on your teams cap space it makes me depressed as a fan. Walking on that edge is also a requirement to winning the back half of the draft.

Bostic, Ford, Long, Mills, Minter, Tupou, Washington, and Wilson eight rookies on the 53 man roster today. That is some impressive work. That is what is possible when you have a knowledgeable staff who isn't afraid to take a risk and explore the unknown... We'll have to see how the consistency plays out, but I am not worried about the future under Emery's tenure. Being a McClellin fan boy, I also have not given up hope of salvaging more production out of him... We'll see.
  6. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Yea now all we need is a real defense of coordinator to coach these guys up into probowlers
    • Like Like x 1