Ha Ha Clinton-Dix leads a class without an elite safety

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearstuff, May 7, 2014.

1. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    608ß
    Ha Ha Clinton-Dix leads a class without an elite safety

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 7, 2014, 6:39 AM EDT
    [​IMG]AP
    Most NFL personnel people agree on two things about this year’s class of safeties: It’s a relatively weak group, and Alabama’s Ha Ha Clinton-Dixis the best of the bunch.
    “As far as the elite safety, it’s down,” Don Gregory, director of college scouting for the Panthers, told Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “There’s solid ones but there’s not an elite guy.”
    McGinn polled 19 scouts and found that 13 of them considered Clinton-Dix the best safety in this year’s draft class. Three scouts preferCalvin Pryor of Louisville, while Jimmie Ward of Northern Illinois, Deone Bucannon of Washington State and Lamarcus Joyner of Florida State were the favorite of one scout each.
    But in a sign of just how weak the safety class is, one personnel man said of Clinton-Dix and Pryor, “I would not take either of those guys in the first round.” This is a bad year to have a need at safety.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    608ß
    I believe we will end up drafting Mosley, who is clearly the best at his position and worthy of a first round selection over anyone who is 2nd or 3rd best (if that high) at positions that don't have "elite" talent that goes that deep.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,635 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,834ß
    Same could be said about DT, there is Donald and then there is everyone else, but the everyone else at DT is MUCH better then the everyone else at S(speaking of 2-3rd round guys).
  4. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,235 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    608ß
    Actually Ric, there are several DT's with first round grades, unlike at S. Clinton-Dix and Pryor are likely 2nd round grades in any other year.
  5. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +748 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I really like Pryor, but I have to trust the Scouts on this one. I believe it's relatively easy for we armchair guys to compare and contrast guys within the same draft class, but when you start looking at college kids coming out and actually grading them as first or second (or later), then that goes beyond what we can do without watching hours and hours of tape. I know I can't.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,052 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,777ß
    This is why I'm going to calm down if Emery picks guys who don't perfectly fit the mock-world & they seem a bit off-the-wall. I'm pretty pumped up for this draft. It can't come soon enough.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    This is why I haven't been a big fan of drafting a S, a position the Bears have traditionally not valued very highly, in the 1st. There's no one "special" here. And call me crazy but Buchannon could easily be draft-able in the 2nd and be just as good or better.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    It really doesn't matter where these guys are graded out at or what the various scouts think.

Emery is going to take the guy he wants at #14 regardless.

All of the scouts, so-called experts, and armchair fans had Kyle Long projected as a 2nd rounder last year and where did the Bears take him again?
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +713 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    428ß
    That's why Phil likes seeing these horses up close and personal. It's the best way to get a sense of their abilities and traits.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    Donald is a 1 trick pony but he is one that fits what the Bears want to do and he is graded as a 1st round pick.

HaHa is something that the Bears have missed on for about a decade, a real Safety. If he is not an elite guy but he comes in and is a solid starter like Long was, then he would be the first successful Safety we have had since Mike Brown. (Manning turned into a good safety, but we just did not hold onto him long enough).

HaHa or Donald are both good picks, but I would not count on either one.
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    This class just seems strange to me and unpredictable. So whoever Emery takes ill trust him. He's either going to be 66% or 33% after this pick and that will dictate most fans trust for him IMO.
  12. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,279 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,686ß
    As well he should. I sure don't like hearing that about the safeties because it is really a position of high need for us.