Hard Knocks (not) down to three teams.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,010 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    Hey... if the NFL says so, it must be true....

NFL denies Hard Knocks field has been cut to three teams
    Posted by Mike Florio on April 29, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
    Getty Images
    Last week, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said that the next subject of the Hard Knocks series will be determined soon.
    This week, the NFL has denied that the field has been cut to three teams.
    Per multiple reports, league spokesman Greg Aiello says that a report that the Hard Knocks field has been narrowed to the Giants, Bears, and Steelers isn’t accurate.
    That’s a shame, because any of those teams would be great choices. Usually, the Hard Knocks team doesn’t have a national following but hopes to build one. The Giants, Bears, and Steelers already have a national following.
    Under standards the NFL passed last year, the Bills, Bears, Cardinals, Giants, Jaguars, Raiders, Rams, and Steelers can be compelled to do the show.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Despite what everyone here will say, the Bears SHOULD be on Hard Knox.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Not sure I would mind it.

They sure have a nice cast of characters.

Marshall, Cutler, Allen.... just to name a few
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,208 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    If they still have the box game, I would hope it makes an appearance.
  5. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    As a fan, I wouldn't mind seeing the inner workings of the Bears. I can see how it would be a distraction for the team. I am not interested in seeing the program featuring any other team. So it will save me money (don't have HBO now), if it isn't the Bears.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,010 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    LOL Bennett
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    knew I forgot someone
  8. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    NO!
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,010 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    More proof that contact sports DOES cause brain damage.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +637 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    I do not currently have HBO (I've got eleventy billion channels of feces through Directv, but I don't have HBO), but I will have to get it on a trial basis if the Bears are selected. I think it would be cool and I think it would be good for the show, but I'm not sure it would be good for the team, and THAT'S my biggest concern. If our guys are professional and mature enough to remain focused on what they are really there for, then all is good, but are they? I would suggest that with a team of plus or minus 90 guys going into training camp that some are and some aren't. Thus the problem. However, no one from the NFL offices have called me for my opinion so I guess I'll just wait and see. If they are on, I'll watch, if they are not, all the better.

There is ONE thing that I think could be a minor benefit. Jay Cutler has a terrible reputation around the country. If played correctly, his image could be improved (it certainly wont get worse) through this show. With that said, who really gives a crap about his national image. It's obvious that he doesn't, so why should we?
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Bennett alone should be the reason the Bears are the best choice.
  13. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Most of the stuff with the starters is off the field interest pieces.

Football wise it comes from the coaches and the back ups trying to make the roster. Plus a bit of time from Emery (who would love it) and Trestman (who wouldn't be distracted by it).

Really if we want to find out about some of our back ups trying to make the roster and a couple of our position coaches then that's what we will get.
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Well, I have never watched the show, so I will take your word for it.
  15. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +76 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I sure all of us would watch if the Bears ... but its a distraction that the coaching/upper mgmt probably doesn't want around the team and with how closed book they are I'm sure it could be pretty vanilla when it comes to football talk. The player's personalities and interactions would definitely make the show.

But with the NFL basically forcing teams to partake in this program and it appears to be hand picking whom... than I see it going to one of the larger market teams since it will allow for more potential new subscribers to HBO.

I watched the 24/7 series with the Wings/Leafs this year leading up to the Winter Classic and the cameras definitely affected the play of the teams.
  16. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm not sure why so many fans are against this.

It's only training camp. These guys are professionals. They're already used to having cameras and microphones in their faces 24-7. It wont have any negative impact at all.

The league picks the teams that must be a part of hard knocks every year. The Bears will have to do it eventually. They might as well get it over with now.

Plus, it would make for some GREAT TV with the likes of Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Martellus Bennett, Kyle Long, and Jared Allen on the team. I know that 1985 is old, tired and worn out to a lot of fans but, this honestly has to be the biggest cast of characters on a Bears team since the days of Mongo, Hampton, McMahon, Payton, The Fridge etc. etc. etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +927 / 3 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    227ß
    I'd be interested to know how many people actually watch Hard Knocks. Sorta seems like the league shoves it down team's throats - if no one wants to do it (and that is the way it's portrayed in the media). I've never seen it, and I watch the combine (geeky). The issue isn't just HBO, they replay old ones on NFLN, and I still don't watch it. They should just stop doing the series all together.

I do think it would be a distraction, players don't get 24/7 coverage and might not want to be on film. Can't anyone else imagine that some players just want to do their job and would have to go out of their way to avoid being on camera?
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,010 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    It doesn't benefit the players or the team. It benefits the league, so they make them do it. Until the money they make from it stops, they will probably continue to mandate it.
  19. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +780 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    202ß
    Well, as we saw with the NBA, the owners own less of their team than people think.

The league has all the power, and they ride the power similar to homeowner associations. One person (team) could ruin the league, then the league has the authority to control that person (team).

Yeah a team can do what they want, but if the league wants a team to do something, the league will get them to do it. Otherwise they will simply be left out of the loop.
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,010 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    Looks like it won't be the Giants, and I'm wondering if it really is still between the other two. I'm thinking it's going to be a team that volunteered.