Hardin anxious for game action

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Jul 30, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    158ß
    After sitting out 2 seasons, safety wants to show what he has learned in film room on field

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter

7:45 p.m. CDT, July 30, 2013

BOURBONNAIS — It has been two years since Brandon Hardin has played in a regular-season game, so the safety might be the most anxious player on the roster for the first exhibition Aug. 9 at Carolina.

Hardin, a third-round pick out of Oregon State a year ago, suffered a neck injury in the second exhibition last summer tackling Redskins tight end Logan Paulsen and required surgery that landed him on injured reserve. He was cleared medically before the season ended but missed the year, just like he did in his final season with the Beavers in 2011 when a shoulder injury kept him out.

"I have to prove my worth to the coaching staff, to our GM and even to the fans," he said. "I need to prove that I belong here."

Hardin believes he had a good offseason and that it has carried over into training camp. Major Wright and Chris Conte established themselves as starters last season and Craig Steltz has been a trusted backup and core special teams performer. Anthony Walters has experience the past two seasons in the scheme and the team added Tom Zbikowski, Tom Nelson and Cyhl Quarles to the mix. Hardin wants to show he's better and put into practice what he learned in the meeting room last season.

"I tried not to get discouraged," Hardin said. "It's one of the harder things to do, to sit in a meeting room and watch others play on film. But really want to apply what I learned from the veterans. I want to apply that this year and it all will slow down for me.

"The frustrating part is I can't fast-forward the clock to game day and that is when I have to prove my worth."

Special stuff: Special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis said it is too early to tell if any newcomers will emerge as candidates for a roster spot but he's pleased with his core group of veterans so far. Plus, it's difficult to gauge special teams play until there's some game action.

The leader probably remains linebacker Blake Costanzo, who was added on a two-year contract a year ago.

"It's really good to have a core guy," DeCamillis said. "Blake has made a lot of plays in this league. He has played on a lot of good groups."

DeCamillis might experiment with some alternative uses for Devin Hester. You could see the return man coming off the edge on field goal block.

Extra points: The Bears are expected to replace defensive end Turk McBride, who is out for the season with a torn Achilles tendon, with Josh Williams, an undrafted free agent from Kansas who participated in the May rookie minicamp on a tryout basis. Williams was a Nebraska transfer. … After being off Tuesday, Wednesday's practice will open to the public at 9 a.m.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...1-bits-bears-chicago-20130731,0,7362860.story
  2. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I sure hope they taught him how to tackle while he was out. Still don't understand this Hardin pick.
  3. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    I love Hardin's size and what he could bring to the secondary but I have no hopes of him amounting to anything. He doesn't seem to know how to tackle without hurting himself.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    He sure could use a break.... um, probably not the best wish for him...
    • Like Like x 2
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    He has got a lot of competition to make the roster. STs is going to be the key.
  6. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    And here I thought not having a broken spine was the key. ;)
  7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    There's no way Emery dumps him this year.

I mean if he dumps him, then we really have a stupid GM.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    I agree. He's got athletic ability, albeit raw, by the ton. He's the ideal SS replacement for Wright if he flies the coop next offseason in FA. No way you let Hardin go.

2013 is his chance to stay healthy, learn his craft, and contribute on ST. Keep him.
  9. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    When he gets his chance he's gonna be the next Doug Plank .
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    545ß
    I would certainly prefer him to play SS. I really lost a lot of faith in Wright, upon reading that our use of the Cover-3 was to have Tillman make up for his shoddy play. If he can stay healthy, it sounds like we've got another Mike Brown, at least in terms of hitting strength.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    He does hit hard as evidenced by him breaking bones every time he puts on a big hit. The coaches now need to work on getting him to understand that it is not supposed to be HIS bones.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wright has actually developed into a very solid S. The Bears haven't played 'pure' Cover 2 in several years. Wright had a very solid year last year. If you don't realize that Henry, then it might be time to buy a new TV set. He's actually come around as a player.
  13. gramster10

gramster10 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    BE NICE IF HE COULD SHOW SOMETHING AND BUILD ON IT // HIS SIZE WOULD BE NICE BACK THERE//
  14. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Your comedic ways are flourishing I see. LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    We can use his speed once he learns the position. Steltz knows how to play it but moves like a glacier. At the very least Hardin could be a great ST guy and red zone DB if he can stay on the field. We've made some good draft picks in him and Wootton but they need to stay healthy.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    Hardin is a younger version of Earl Bennett thus far. Lots of ability, but can't stay on the field.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well here's a thought. From now on let's just draft and sign players who never get hurt. :)

Guys like Webb and Garza! :confused: ;)
    • Like Like x 1