Having McCown start this game was a blessing in disguise

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Nov 5, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    Guaranteed, Rodgers or no Rodgers, Cutler woulda shat the bed against the Pack, as is his wont. I hope McCown starts next week against Detroit, ESPECIALLY if Cutler is going to be at 60%. NO WAY he is going to be anywhere near 100% only 2 weeks after tearing his freakin' groin. Remember a few weeks ago, when Vick tried to come back too soon from a pulled hammy? I am going to be super p*ssed at Jay if he comes back too soon and wins up playing like pure s*** against the Lions.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think Cutler needs to sit out next week to be honest. I really believe McCown CAN and WILL beat the Lions.
  3. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Veteran

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    202ß
    Cutler shouldn't rush to come back. He could make his injury even worse.
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,674 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,045ß
    Cutler has yet to play GB yet with Trestman calling the plays, so its impossible to say what WOULDVE happened...but fret not, youll have your opportunity to be proven right or wrong when we host them later this season.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +744 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,171ß
    Yep, I don't see any need to hurry Cutler. McCown had great pass blocking tonight. Lions will bring more pressure. The test will be how he handles it. Another good game from Forte would help him a lot.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,265 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,658ß
    Quite honestly, I am more worried about a healthy Lions team than I am a Green Bay team minus Rogers.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +744 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,171ß
    If Packers can get Matthews, Rodgers, Cobb, etc, off I.R., they are still dangerous. That Lions game next week is really huge.
  8. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Comparing last years Jay complete with last years O Line and without M Bennett and a fit and firing Jeffrey then sure I'd take tonights team and McCown. But that's not a fair comparison. Despite losing 2 of the 3 games against the decent teams we've played (Cinn, Detroit and NO) Jay has help up pretty well.

Last years Jay and O might have won tonight once Rogers went down anyway because last years established past rush and line backers would've terrorized Wallace and stopped the run.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,265 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,658ß
    Matthews would make a difference, but Rogers is the cog in the wheel. Without him, I'd rather face them again than face a healthy Lions team.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,265 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,658ß
    I agree. We would have won with Cutler under center also. The key was GB losing Rogers
    • Like Like x 1
  11. PhilM

PhilM Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Regardless of who the better quarterback is, I've gotta say that I'm really, really impressed with McCown. He looks confident and makes good decisions. He actually has a good set of wheels, too. No INT's. Two games in a row-- he looks like a seasoned veteran who has been running the O since the start of the year. Seriously... McCown looks more comfortable in this offense than Jay. Not saying that will always be the case, but it makes you think.

Jay probably wants to come back next week because he feels a little threatened by McCown's great QB play. And hell, Jay really shouldn't push a groin injury by coming back too soon.

I'd actually like to see McCown start next week. And, for the record, I DO like Cutler. McCown looks like a true pro in that offense. Gotta call it like I see it.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +240 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    202ß
    With Jay we would have gotten excuses in the first half and no progress. It was a nice to see the bears play all 4 quarters.
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,580 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    No doubt JC turns the ball over at least 1 or 2 times this game, but I think the team probably finishes a few more drives w/TD's, or at least 1 or 2 more FG's(that Pepp int probably gets at least 3pts).

Once Rodgers went down, this game was pretty much assured, the D's inability to tackle and a few sputters by the O in the 3rd and it was closer then it should have been, but don't get carried away, thinking Cutler wouldn't have won this game...or that if Rodgers doesn't go out that McCown wins this game.
  14. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    I thought I saw a headline this morning that jay will start against lions... I really hope he is 100% as i believe this willl hurt us more than anything. Another thought is that he is rushing it because if mccown waxs the kitties he knows his contract negotiations are toast! Maybe he is a little butt hurt due to he cant beat the fudge packers and mccown did on his first try
  15. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I think the blessing here is that we found a run game against a very big run stuffing defense, ad we were able to grind it out and give Forte, Bush and the O-line confidence. We have had some big plays with the run game, but last night we were able to end the game by running the ball and killing the clock (McCown had some very timely throws also to keep the final drive alive).

Does anyone know how long that final drive was? Just amazing.

Went back and looked it appears that the last drive started at 9:48 left in the 4th Quarter. That last drive started at the Bear's 11 yard line and ended on the Packers 6 yard line and consumed 8 minutes and 58 seconds and all of the Packers Time outs, plus we got a field goal to make it a 7 point game!!!!!!!!
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,020 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,719ß
    I got so tired of watching "Bad Jay" fall apart against Green Bay each year. He just seemed to fall apart in big games against good teams. It was a breath of fresh air to see a QB (a backup no less) keep his head in a big game - and on prime time in the "hell hole" of Lambeau Field. If Jay can learn from this and play smarter ball (like McCown did last night) then we'll have a real stud QB. But rather than the Good Jay" and "Bad Jay" roller coaster, we simply need "Consistent Jay" if we want to win big games against the better teams. It was great to see how Trestman has helped McCown become a solid backup. Now let's see if he can help Jay become a better starter. I'm hopeful. But I want to see Jay prove it in big games this year. I want to see the proof that Trestman can exorcise the "Bad Jay" demon.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,611 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    672ß
    I know I say this a lot, but remember that quote by Brandon Marshall, about Josh McCown being Chad Pennington, and Jay Cutler being Brett Favre? Last night WAS the way Chad ran the offense, and when you have a bad defense, THAT is the way you need to play it.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,472 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    I think that's the key issue here, JABF, from Cutler watching JM play 6 straight quarters of solid football (with ANY kind of defense in the second half, McCown would have beat the Redskins too).

Will Jay take away an important lesson? Will he learn from seeing this?

Certainly McCown is far inferior athletically to Cutler but boy he's played way smarter. Will Cutler run the TCO properly and limit his ball security issues when he comes back??? I hope that's the result here because Trestman has just proved to me that he can put up a competent offense with a marginal QB who is well coached and disciplined. Does Cutler see the implications of that?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Rogelio

Rogelio Veteran

Ratings:
    +149 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    78ß
    There absolutely is doubt that Jay turns the ball over. Jay has improved drastically from last season. After the Giants game, the ESPN clowns were saying he was in the discussion for MVP at that point. Before the pick against the Redskins (which was 100% on Jeffrey), he was at a 2 to 1 TD to INT ratio, and that included the disasterous Detroit game. He has been better this year, first year in a new system, trying to unlearn bad habits and forget bad coaching. He isn't close to a finished product, no. But as I said after the Lions game, I felt that game was huge because it allowed him to break it down with Trestman and see how he made mistakes when things went bad. I think a game like that will ultimately improve Jay in the long run.

I also think that a game like this helps Jay. He wasn't watching a random QB in a different system with a different line and different receivers beat the Packers, he was watching his own team do it with a much less talented QB. I think it will help him to see exactly how it was done, and what should be done in the future.

Of course, I think certain parts of that offense had a better showing than they have in other games, knowing they had to step it up for the Bears to have a chance to win. I think that Trestman had an excellent game in playcalling today. They committed to the run early and the line blocked well. Forte had a great game himself. That was as big a part of our success as McCown's play. Hopefully the committment to the run continues in our next games. Jay has improved greatly this year, and I think getting to watch a performance like last night can only help his improvement.
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,580 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Really Rog, it's in doubt.

Cutler in 6 and 1/4 games has turned the ball over 4 games at least 1x. Now add in his historically bad games against GB, and there is no question that he turns the ball over at least 1 or 2 times.