Hayden cap figure less than base

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Mar 1, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +681 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    587ß
    Looks like Hayden did a deal like McCown last yr.
    Getting paid more than cap hit per spotrac

upload_2014-3-1_13-42-18.png
    upload_2014-3-1_13-41-26.png
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    He gets $840k but he's a 10 year vet and if they sign for the minimum with no bonus or a very limited one the team gets a break on their cap costs. The NLFPA wanted to find a way to keep these older vets in the league and that was it. It's been that way for quite awhile now.

Oh, and that was a good find. It's not a lot but every little bit helps and that $270k can pay a portion of a rookies first year pay. Rosario's deal was probably similar but since he's only and 8 year vet the minimum is less but no cap break.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Soul, I agree. Even saving $270k can help the team elsewhere. It also helps me grasp the potential mountain of savings that might be possible - by comparison - with Peppers cap hit of $18+ million dollars this season, and $20+ million dollars next season. For me, it's almost hard to fully grasp the impact on the team of the Pep deal as we move forward with the rebuilding effort on defense. It all comes down to money. Cap money. As you have pointed out in another thread, if we get that Pep deal down to $5mil, that would be huge, as far as having money to spend on young players with upside, and help our future as a team.

Yes, every penny counts, even $270k.
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    League wide the amount teams are paying 30 year old plus vets is and has been on the decline. These guys used to get big money deals on their last contracts which left teams short on cap space to keep the guys in their mid to late 20s who were in their prime so those guys ended up leaving and many teams rebuilding plans fell apart. The rookies and the older vets were getting a disproportionate share of the cap dollars.

Now there's a CBA imposed limit on rookie deals and a lot of vets are finding all they're gonna be offered are minimum salary deals and even the stars like Tillman and Pep are often offered no more than a couple of mil once they hit 32 or 33 years of age. I'm sure teams have researched injury factors with these older players and found the incidences high so giving these guys longer term deals with guarantees can become a cap killer if they get hurt. Look at Peanut. He made $8 mil last year and missed half the season. Since there is no cap credit for that it's tough to replace those guys with anything other than the "street free agents" the Bears were forced into last year and those guys aren't NFL caliber players. That's obvious.

I think the Bears can offer Tillman and Pep more than $2 mil but it has to either be on a one or two year deal with either no guarantees or maybe only the first year of a two year deal guaranteed. If they sustain a career ending injury you want to release them without taking a cap hit for "dead money". That may well be the stumbling block with these two right now. If the Bears are dealing with them like they did with Urlacher they aren't offering much in the way of guarantees. Some people say Urlacher was being too greedy but forget that all he was guaranteed out of a $2 mil offer was the $940k vet minimum. If he got injured and missed many games he would have been playing for even less than $1 mil, not the $2 mil he'd get if he played all 16 games.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,174 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    All good points. Regarding my previous post above (about Peppers) I was wrong. MP explained in the other thread how we're on the hook for a mint no matter what we do moving forward with him. I hadn't understood that until his post (thanks MP). I guess a team needs to be pretty certain they're getting a good return before you mortgage your future like we did there. But regarding your post Soul, I agree. Also, it's not just an injury thing where you take a hit. If a player dosen't or can't play well anymore to justify the big contract, it can be devastating to a team - and just choke the financial life out of it.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    Yep, Pep will cost us $8 mil in dead cap space if we release him which we can spread over two years if they designate him for a June 1st release or wait until then to do it after they see how FA and the draft come out. He's under contract and they have other options available for creating cap space. That said the roughly $10-$14 of cap space saved by releasing him can't be ignored if he won't accept a salary cut.
    • Like Like x 1