Henry Melton: 'No clue' if I'll return to Chicago Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Feb 19, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,708 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,234ß
    FWIW.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,504ß
    I'm indifferent on Melton at this point, it's not like he was exceptional outside of 1 yr, but there is potential in him. Just not sure the money is worth it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    I feel ya Ric. Doesn't this all just look so similar to Tommie Harris? I don't want the Bears to give him a big, fat, lengthy, CAP eating contract because at this point we don't know what he's got in him. Frankly, I'm not so sure he was worth it before he was hurt (as you also elude to). Now, I just wonder if he will end up being another "has been". If he would sign a moderate 1 year deal, I would do that, but until he shows more, I think a team would be foolish to sign him to an expensive long term deal.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,504ß
    I think it's a really good comparison, and it's why I want nothing to do w/Nix, even though I really like his potentail.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    He only fits a 4-3 type defense, and an ACL is a serious injury. AP has made it seem like you can come back from one of these injuries in 6 months and that simply is not the norm.

I would say give him a 1 year deal and if he ends up going to the open market then so be it.

He just might end up like Briggs and end up signing with us, in that case I'm fine.
  6. abegibronlives

abegibronlives Veteran

Ratings:
    +64 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    53ß

Melton is a good player, and relatively young, so it would be nice to keep him. The key, as always, is whether or not that can be done at a reasonable price. If he demands more than fair market value, I'd let him try his luck elsewhere. Last year our defense was atrocious, so it's not like losing Melton could make it worse.
  7. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    873ß
    I would like to sign him to a 3 yr deal in the 5 million range. Not sure he would take it but he is not worth 8 million or whatever the franchise tag got him 8.5 i think. Keep in mind though he was a RB in college and learned the tackle position primarily his first few yrs in the NFL. If he comes back strong he could still have upside as still relatively new to the position. I would take a gamble on him for 3 yrs and throw in some incentives. In a 34 he could be a SDE (STRONGSIDE DE). Stout 5 technique around 300 pounds. Primary responsibility to stop the run outside on strong side and rush QB when required. OR he could play WDT primary 3 technique attack between the guard and tackle much like today in 43. Fits a hybrid scheme and if healthy still has upside. Definetely need to be a incentive contract though and maybe promise to renegotiate after yr 2 if proven healthy.